iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The next quarter sawing project.

Started by customsawyer, April 04, 2017, 04:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

Sorry about that Lynn i was looking forward to seeing you an Miss Pat .
al glenn

caveman

I was also looking forward to meeting the Magicman and Miss Pat.  I just found out today that my mother has to have a pretty serious surgery on May 9, and is expected to be hospitalized for about a week.  If she is doing well and my daddy can handle her care I still plan to attend.
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on April 24, 2017, 07:17:45 PM

Pat & I will be attending Andy White's Memorial Service on May 17th.  Attending both events would be a burden especially since they are in opposite directions. 

Without asking, I know you and PatD will represent the Forestry Forum well. Safe travels.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Thank You.  I didn't mention "why" in my initial reply because this is tough.  Andy White was a very Special Man and a very Special Friend.  :'(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

More man and less chicken.

Now I know the rest of the story.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

scsmith42

Quote from: DanG on April 04, 2017, 11:15:01 AM
I'll be there Friday afternoon, Lord willing.  :)

Scott, La Quinta Inn is nice and is close by.   ;)

Thanks Dan.  La Quinta had good ratings but their prices were pretty high (best deal that I could find was about 120 a night including taxes - ouch!).  I ended up booking at the Super 8 instead for about 1/2 of the cost (and almost as good of ratings).

I'm looking forward to meeting / seeing everybody there.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate for me to ride down instead of driving.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

Well it's a good thing you're gonna be there Scott, 'cause we gonna need all the help we can get. Ya see, we fired up that big pottery kiln this past weekend and I scored this major tater salad bowl.

I plan to fill it up with same and bring it along.   ;) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

scsmith42

Dan, that's good cuz I know how to put a hurtin on some tater salad!   :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Mooseherder

I like tater salad so count me in for 23. ;)

WDH

Must be some powerful tater salad. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

I'm comin' in hot with paper plates and cups. :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Mooseherder

Deese

Poston you gotta come. I know I said I was coming last year but I'm REALLY REEALLY coming this time.
I'll even tow an old car, or gooseneck trailer, or something like that so you can stand on it  :)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

4x4American

Poston just slept through the one last year lol
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

caveman

And the old goat ran off a day early.
Caveman

Deese

Poor fella, I was bringing a sack of aluminum cans, styrofoam cups,  and a round bale of hay for him to climb on, munch, and watch the event. Oh well.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

POSTON WIDEHEAD

jmiller

Miss Tonya and myself will be there.
Jason Miller

red

It was trick photography at last event. Someone was able to take photos that captured Poston blinking.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

4x4American

Quote from: red on April 29, 2017, 08:04:52 AM
It was trick photography at last event. Someone was able to take photos that captured Poston blinking.

Ole boy must blink real slow then cause I was there in real life and seen how long he could blink for I tell you what you could capture that blink with a slowmo, high speed, polaroid, eos, point and shoot or even an old flip phone!
Boy, back in my day..

ellmoe

The wife is going to visit her sister. looks like I can make it. Looking forward to meeting new and revisiting with the old!
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

customsawyer

Alright folks we are getting scheduling nailed down. Friday morning will be the sawing a log in half demonstration. It will start around 10:30 or so trying to give some that are driving in that morning time to get here. There will be a short break in the action for a bite of something and then Gene will begin his grading class at 1:00 pm. The quartersawing will be on Saturday morning starting at 8:30-9:00 in the morning. Depending on how things go the previous day. We will saw until 12:00 or so and then break bread again. Then do some edging and such. Gary and Richard are also wanting to have some time to go over some of the things that have gone on recently with different blades so that will take place either earlier Friday morning or later Saturday. I will leave that up to them.
I have no idea what the count is up to so if anyone has the time to try to figure it out I would appreciate it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

We are planning for THE PROJECT in GA this May about including a Hardwood lumber grading "short class" and exercise on Friday, starting at 1pm.  Interested?  If you come, bring a lumber footage stick if you have one.  I will spend 1-1/2 hour going over the main grade requirements and then we will practice with real pieces of lumber (versus pictures).  There will be some handouts, so it would help if we have an idea of numbers, but even if you do not let us know in advance, we will have a few extras.  It will be a fun time. Likely oak and maybe otHer species.

Of course, the weekend is full of activities of all sort related to sawing, drying, discussions about the way the world turns, etc.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!