iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have an idea what this might be ?

Started by Kbeitz, April 03, 2017, 05:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

It weights around 100 lbs or more. Stamped paulsen cordage corp NY

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Looks like a clamp ;) :D

You could mount it up under a kitchen cabinet and use it to grab the lids on pickle jars so you can use two hands to twist the jar. :D

Could it be some sort of special tooling from a machine shop to hold a unique prototype they were making?  Paulsen cordage was a wire rope maker with patents back in 1949-1953.  Maybe this was to squish the eye open to insert a thymbal?  You can see where the two opposed ones could grab the main line and the offset screwed down to open it?

They also made chain.  Perhaps to close the (big) chain links?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

I guess whatever it is,it was to keep something from moving.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Holmes

Looks like a press to me.  Maybe for wire rope as suggested.    Ferrules?
Think like a farmer.

sandhills

Could very well be but doesn't look like the opposing vice would screw in far enough to me?

scsmith42

To me it looks like a clamp designed for form wire rope around a thimble, and hold it there while the strands were braided together.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Indeed, it is a rigger's forming vise. Google it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

whitepine2

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 04, 2017, 06:45:29 AM
To me it looks like a clamp designed for form wire rope around a thimble, and hold it there while the strands were braided together.

This is what it is used for,had one sold it to riggers of fishing gear in New Bedford. Worth their weight in gold to those who do this cable splicing.

Kbeitz

Quote from: LeeB on April 04, 2017, 07:23:41 AM
Indeed, it is a rigger's forming vise. Google it.

You got it....  Thanks everyone...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

Where in the world do you find all this stuff? I've seen two in my entire life time but none in operation .One was at Newport News ship building and  dry dock and one in Sarnia Ont. in a riggers shed .

1/2" is largest wire rope I've ever put an eye in  .One "liverpool"which is a pain in the rear end and several Flemish which are  fairly easy.

pabst79

Kbeitz, I'm starting to think you must be following the American Pickers van around and scoping some good leads....or are they following you?  :-\ Cool stuff you come up with, old iron is addicting.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Kbeitz

After doing some more research I come to find out that this was made
only 25 miles from my house. I live in a  very good industrial area.
So I got good pickings. Me and my brother does a lot of factory buy outs.
Also one of my good friends owns Trates Surplus in Milton Pa. Lots of BIG
buildings full of auction buy-outs. I could spend days just looking at all the
stuff he has. Yesterday I was suppose to go and look at another textile factory
that's selling out but I just did not have the room for more stuff. I want to
stick to sawing logs and making wood furniture. I'm getting to old to be
moving heavy machinery around.

So now what can I do with this cable crimper ? Crack walnuts ? Wood vise ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

whitepine2

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 05, 2017, 07:22:24 AM
I'm getting to old to be
moving heavy machinery around.

So now what can I do with this cable crimper ? Crack walnuts ? Wood vise ?

Sell it worth good money as not that much of a call for them new so used are golden. I know what you mean about moving heavy stuff around when older,let the younger guys do it.
   Guess you could use it as a wall hanger but I know you got plenty of stuff for that it sure is different,guess you could crack walnuts if ya had a mind to. LOL

Al_Smith

Nut cracker? Well I'd well imagine you could crack a coconut with that thing .Next up how to grow a coconut palm in Pa.

Thank You Sponsors!