iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gears for saw head drive system

Started by larrydown60, April 02, 2017, 12:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrydown60

This what I have a 2008 chevy cobalt power steering 12 volt system I am wondering if I use an 11 tooth sprocket on steering pump and 2  17 tooth idler sprockets underneath with the chain  going from one to the other end Connected with to a circuit board to control the speed forward and reverse does this sound right or look right? All the help I can get will be great thanks a head of time

the last picture is the way I want do my gears just not sure if the tooth count will be right

ladylake

I don't think those steering sectors turn all the way around, just so far in both directions.  Try looking at Surplus Center.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

larrydown60

ladylake this a friend of mines set up he has it working and has cut a log 10' long 48" wide with it but he can't remember the gear count he said he just bought the smallest ones he could find. I looked on SC and these were the smallest gears I could find thanks for your help

ozarkgem

go with what your friend used. It will be variable speed anyway.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Den-Den

The sprocket on the motor shaft is the only one that matters.  Smaller will give you lower speed and more force, larger will give you more speed and less force.
Starting with the smallest available is a good plan if you don't have data on motor torque and force needed to move your saw-head.
If it does not work, that would mean the motor does not have enough power.
If it works but is not fast enough, you can put a larger sprocket on the motor (no need to change the idler sprockets).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

larrydown60

Kbeitz

Quote from: larrydown60 on April 02, 2017, 04:02:47 PM
thank you Den-Den ordering gears tonight the following link is the only info I can find on this unit.

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/maintenance-repair/straightening-out-gm-electric-power-steering

Watch when you use that motor that it does not get hot.
The motor isn't designed to handle extremely high power for extended
periods of time.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!