iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler Engine is a Nightmare

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 01, 2017, 09:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Cut-wright

It seems counter intuitive I know, but there are manufactures' recommendations that instruct shutting these engines down with the "throttle off idle".  Half open throttle or more does the trick.  Open throttle prevents the higher throttle vacuum of the closed throttle, also allows enough additional air to lean the un-burned mixture to a less explosive point. Even though the fuel-cut solenoid is operating correctly, the higher closed throttle vacuum can pull enough fuel to create a noisy backfire.  There is also some danger of head gasket or muffler damage from severe backfires.  (Open throttle ignition cut) does eliminate these backfires in my experience. 

Kbeitz

Guessing that every engine is different...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SlowJoeCrow

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on April 09, 2017, 10:52:55 AM
At times my Onan engine back fires when I shut it down. Scares the pith out of customers standing by. Is there a way to shut it down so it doesn't back fire?

Jim Rogers

Yes, but see if you can get it to scare the pith right out of the logs you are sawing!! :D :D

customcutter01

Just to let you know.  Everytime my mowers would backfire like that, (kawasaki or kohler) it would blow the inner filters. 
Husqvarna 350 decked,ported,pop-up piston by me
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 570 rebuilding now
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
Cooks AC-36 Hyd Bandsaw Mill
New Holland TN65D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I am making progress on my Kohler. A lot of people are responding. Details later.....don't want to jinx things.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I see a Happy Thanksgiving in your future.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

Do goats do turkey, just asking. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: starmac on November 22, 2017, 10:09:44 PM
Do goats do turkey, just asking. lol

No but we love Cranberries!  :D :D :D :D

Magicman

If dat engine gets fixed duh Goat will be ah doin' da Turkey Trot.   smiley_turkey_dancing
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Randy88

Kohler engines also have small crankshaft bearings which cause bearing failures when you side load the engine with belts under tension.     We quit buying Kohler engines a few years back, the last one was on my miller welder/generator and been a nightmare from day one, still is.   

If a diesel was only 4k to upgrade, why did you buy a kohler gas??   With any amount of hours of use, the fuel savings alone would pay the difference, toss in repairs and downtime and a diesel is always the best option unless you put very few hours on it each year or plan to trade every year or so. 

With the exception of Kohler engines, we're had great luck with engines that have electronic fuel injection verses carb's, saves carb icing, start better, seem to cause less issues overall with starting and stopping and the list is endless, as for kohler and their issues, I'll pass, even my local kohler dealer won't sell them anymore, will do his best to talk anyone out of buying them and into a Honda or Brigg's instead.         

starmac

This is the very first time I have heard of bearing troubles with the kohlers, in fact hearing of any troubles is somewhat rare compared to how many are out there and in use.
I will eventually replace the onan on mine and will likely go with woodmizers kohler kit IF it can be had with a carbed engine. I understand the advantages efi has, but something can be said for simple too.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Randy88 on November 23, 2017, 11:31:33 AM

If a diesel was only 4k to upgrade, why did you buy a kohler gas??   

When you have a bandmill its not as easy and calling up and saying send me a diesel.
You have to consider the extra weight depending on the mill you have.
I could get a new Kohler the same size and install it.
Upgradeing to a diesel would be to heavy for the LT40 up and down works......said Woodmizer.
As far as I know Kohler 29 (26) is the highest HP engine I can have.

customcutter01

Quote from: starmac on November 23, 2017, 12:52:11 PM
This is the very first time I have heard of bearing troubles with the kohlers, in fact hearing of any troubles is somewhat rare compared to how many are out there and in use.
I will eventually replace the onan on mine and will likely go with woodmizers kohler kit IF it can be had with a carbed engine. I understand the advantages efi has, but something can be said for simple too.
I was doing a search last night on warranty issues and saw where a Kohler 28 HP engine (if I remember correctly), snapped the cranshaft off right in front of the front bearing.  It only had 900+ hours on it.   I had thought that the Perk-a-Pillar engines were the only ones needing the crankshaft support system.
Husqvarna 350 decked,ported,pop-up piston by me
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 570 rebuilding now
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
Cooks AC-36 Hyd Bandsaw Mill
New Holland TN65D

MartyParsons

Hello,
  We have put the 38 hp gas Fuel Injection engines on as a replacement for the 28, 29, 26 hp Kohler engines on the LT40HD. It is not a direct bolt on. You will go from a 2 BX belt to a 3 BX belt. You will need to replace the driven pulley. You will also need a larger circuit breaker for up down because of the extra weight. If your up down motor is worn or weak you will know pretty quickly. The drive belt and all other parts come with the kit even a new alternator. The pulley and the bushing will not be in the kit. Comes with belt tension tool. DR_Buck we changed his 25 hp to the 38 hp FI this year.
We have lots of Kohler engines go through our shop. I see very few issues. I have seen crank shafts break. Two this year. Both were from the drive belt being over tightened. One fuel pump from ethanol and sitting for 3 years sitting in a barn. One muffler issue, related to a o2 sensor issue, no codes just black smoke.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

starmac

Wow, I doubt if my old mill would handle the 38, but if it did, I bet it would be a whole different animal.  When I upgrade motors it will not be with an EFI engine, so I hope their smaller motors will still be available with an old outdated carb.

Peter Drouin

Maybe you could use a trailer to give the Kohler a one way ride a-- way.
Why do you  smiley_deadheader alligator your self like that? ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 24, 2017, 09:06:12 PM
Maybe you could use a trailer to give the Kohler a one way ride a-- way.
Why do you  smiley_deadheader alligator your self like that? ;D

Replace it.  Boot it!  Throw it in the river!  Send it to your worst enemy!  Make a flower pot out of it.  Write a check and pay da man.  Get a new Kohler, get a diesel, but get it off your mill.  :)

I hope I'm not coming across as being indecisive in this.   

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 25, 2017, 12:22:14 AM

I hope I'm not coming across as being indecisive in this.   

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Goats have a hard head.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

MartyParsons

Hello
   Poston!
      Found your new engine.

Hope this helps!
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chop Shop

But hey, EFI should be embraced as the way of the future!  Its awesome!   (in my sarcastic voice)   :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have a brand new ECU and a TPS coming this week.

Stand by for update and when its time I will let it roll!

Right now I'm just TPS. ( To Pooped to Swear ).

*** Thanks Marty...is that the engine out of your truck?  ;D ***

*** Yellow Hammer....I have blocked you. ***  :D

Hopefully it will be fixed this week. My yard is starting to look like:

Customsawyer Jake is on vacation.
Like Peter is at a Grits Conference.
Like Magicman just pulled up on a job.
Like Danny waiting on a new arm guide.
Like Jeff's land after a wind storm.

I mean its piling up!

Magicman

Now that is funny right there I don't care who you are!!!    :D

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

Grits, Grits, Where are the Grits. :D :D  smiley_smash ;D

Nice log pile.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!