iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler Engine is a Nightmare

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 01, 2017, 09:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I still believe its epa related and faulty designs that are suppose to make clean exhaust,  fact is it should not be happening, this fuel, smuele talk wears me out, they know fuel, just not the engineering to accommodate to meet epa specs worth any consistent performance. JMO,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

"SOFTWARE? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' SOFTWARE!!"

The crank on the Onan goes round and round
Round and round!
Round and round!

:D

Brucer

On the ethanol in gas issue, in Canada the law requires all Premium gasoline to be ethanol-free. That's specifically aimed at those of us who have engines that don't tolerate ethanol.

Last summer, after much soul-searching, Barb traded in her diesel Smart car. Our dealer/mechanic made it very clear that we could not use gas containing ethanol in the new wheels. After a month or so of driving, the "check engine" light came on, so Barb took it in for a look-see. The code came up as "ethanol in fuel". Well, we only used Premium (only two fill ups) so we couldn't figure out how it could happen ???. As it turns out, the sensor in the car will detect any amount of ethanol, even a trace ::).

Nearly all the stations around here use blender-type pumps -- one storage tank of regular fuel, one of premium fuel, push a button to get the mix you want and it comes out a common hose. So yes, even the small residue left in the hose will mix a bit of ethanol into the premium you put in your tank. No harm to Barb's vehicle, but she'd have to keep having the fault memory on the computer reset.

The dealer directed us to Chevron. Their pumps have three hoses -- one for diesel, one for blended fuel (including premium), and a third one for "premium plus" (which I suspect is just premium that goes through a dedicated hose). Naturally it costs more >:(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

starmac

Brucer, can I ask what kind of Auto that is??
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Clover

In this day and age of ethanol free fuel about as common as leaded fuel what car manufacturer would make a car that won't use ethanol?
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

richhiway

I wasn't doubting that your tbs was your trouble,I was just giving some general info because folks where questioning the need for computers.

Trust me they are here to stay and will only get more complicated. I was trying to say that giving the amount of vehicle and equipment hours in use they have been proven extremely reliable,provide fuel efficiency,clean emissions and way more power and driveability. I love the old stuff too,in reality the new stuff is better in almost every area.

It reminds me of my old 1987 4cyl mercruiser. It had a delco points distributor and I don't know how many times it would not start until I cleaned the points. After sitting around they would get a little film on them.
I replaced them with a electronic ignition conversion and not only has it started instantly and been trouble free for the last 10 years, it runs better too.

Just don't forget the basics before diving in and replacing expensive components.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Brucer

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ox

You realize that now ya gotta say or you'll never hear the end of it!  ;)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

scully

I have no general insite to this issue other than this . Last summer I bought a new 325 Miller Trailblazer I was sure I mentioned that I wanted the EFI . Koler . I took it back to the dealers shop a few weeks ago because I wanted them to check some settings for me . In conversation I mentioned something about liking the EFI engine on  my machine . The service mechanic looked at me and said yours is not an EFI engine . I started to get kinda mad untill he told me I have the better engine . From what he says they have had a bunch of problems with them . Now as for the red neck side of me I wish they would come up with a 4 cylinder gas for the lt40 series soon .
I bleed orange  .

woodweasel

I have a new lt 40 hyd. I up graded to 35hp Kohler. My problem is even after engine is warm I have to choke it to start. It is mounted at the very top of the engine , which makes it impossible to reach if head is in the  '' Raised  Position''. I have to lower to reach. I suggested to WM to put a solenoid on the cable with a toggle switch to activate choke. I know this is different than your issues, but  it felt like a good place to add my 2 cents.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: woodweasel on April 08, 2017, 12:00:36 PM
I have a new lt 40 hyd. I up graded to 35hp Kohler. My problem is even after engine is warm I have to choke it to start. It is mounted at the very top of the engine , which makes it impossible to reach if head is in the  '' Raised  Position''. I have to lower to reach. I suggested to WM to put a solenoid on the cable with a toggle switch to activate choke. I know this is different than your issues, but  it felt like a good place to add my 2 cents.

Is your engine an EFI?  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

gmmills

Woodweasel,

I will bet that when you turn the key to the stop position the engine does not immediately stop running, it runs for a few seconds after the key is turned off. WM has this engine, G35, wired to shut down by de-energizing the fuel shut off solenoid at the bottom of the carb float bowl. This basically kills the engine by shutting off fuel flow, runs it out of gas. This is why the engine has to be choked to start even if it is warm. Most all other small gas engines are shut down,stopped, by killing power to the ignition coils. Cannot understand why WM does not wire this engine to shut down by cutting power to the ignition coils. It would only take another wire in the harness to achieve this.

The engine in general is a real torque monster for being a high speed, air cooled, gas engine in it's horsepower range. Extremely impressive.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: gmmills on April 08, 2017, 11:57:17 PM
  Woodweasel,

WM has this engine, G35, wired to shut down by de-energizing the fuel shut off solenoid at the bottom of the carb float bowl. This basically kills the engine by shutting off fuel flow, runs it out of gas. This is why the engine has to be choked to start even if it is warm. Most all other small gas engines are shut down,stopped, by killing power to the ignition coils. Cannot understand why WM does not wire this engine to shut down by cutting power to the ignition coils. It would only take another wire in the harness to achieve this.

Actually, this is a pretty good idea.  You don't have to worry about there being any old fuel gumming up the carb if it sits over the winter.  However, it would be nice to have the option to cut the fuel remotely.  You could rewire it...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Peter Drouin

Will all that's going on with the Kohler engine postonlt40hd, I want to thank you.
For letting me know not to buy anything with a junk Kohler on it .  ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 08, 2017, 04:06:47 PM
Is your engine an EFI?  say_what

David, it seems that the model you and I have is the largest horizontal EFI engine Kohler makes.  I wonder why this is?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ga Mtn Man

woodweasel-  I added a remote choke control to a Kohler 34hp, which should be very similar to your engine.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,57926.0.html

Scroll down to reply #13
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ox

Quote from: gmmills on April 08, 2017, 11:57:17 PM
     I will bet that when you turn the key to the stop position the engine does not immediately stop running, it runs for a few seconds after the key is turned off. WM has this engine, G35, wired to shut down by de-energizing the fuel shut off solenoid at the bottom of the carb float bowl. This basically kills the engine by shutting off fuel flow, runs it out of gas. This is why the engine has to be choked to start even if it is warm. Most all other small gas engines are shut down,stopped, by killing power to the ignition coils. .
I was told about this while working at the John Deere dealer as a mechanic, mainly cause I never ran across it here in the sticks before that time.  I was told it was for the newer engines which run hotter and leaner than the older engines and have no adjustments on the carb any more.  It is to keep the engines from backfiring when the the ignition is turned off (in a normal engine when wired to ground the coil).  Not all engines have this, just the problem engines that backfired when you shut them off.  This starves the hot cylinder of fuel so no backfire condition exists.  That solenoid at the bottom of the bowl would corrode and gum up with fuel left in the bowl but it's pretty easy to pull and replace.  Never had much luck cleaning them.  If they were made of brass or bronze or something like that it would be nice but they're made of that garbage anodized steel and would just rust until no worky worky.  :)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Jim_Rogers

At times my Onan engine back fires when I shut it down. Scares the pith out of customers standing by. Is there a way to shut it down so it doesn't back fire?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

47sawdust

My riding mower does that.Scares the hell out of my wife.If I pull out the choke first it won't backfire.Depends on how devilish I'm feeling if I choke it or not.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ox

Yep.  Choke it to kill it or let it cool a few minutes before shutting down.  Sometimes your only option is #1, depends on the engine.  You're creating unfavorable conditions for ignition this way.  Usually the source of ignition is hot surfaces and/or glowing bits of carbon.

Kbeitz

Yep... OX got it ... Hot surfaces and/or glowing bits of carbon.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

Hey fella's, it ain't just kohler. I have a 25 hp kawasaki on my mill which shuts down the same way, fuel cutoff solenoid in the carb bowl. It's the same motor used on lots of john deere lawn tractors. Seems they had too many problems with backfire blowing up mufflers when shudown by killing ignition. Like your kohler, it needs to be choked when starting, in fact, won't start without choking. I got faked out once when the wire to the carb got knocked loose, DanGed motor wouldn't hit a lick. A carburator that needs 12 volts to work just ain't logical to a redneck mind  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kbeitz

It really helps to idle down for a few minutes to cool thing down
to help stop the backfire.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

That's right.  Let her cool down a few minutes before killing her might be just the ticket you need.

Nomad

I have to let the Kohler on my Lucas mill idle for a couple of minutes before I shut it off.  If I don't, it backfires and diesels something bad.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!