The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Kohler Engine is a Nightmare  (Read 7904 times)

Offline richhiway

• Rich
Re: Kohler Engine is a Nightmare
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 03:16:45 pm »
Just a general suggestion. If you have recurring electrical or sensor failures double check and clean all your grounds. It is a good idea to include this in your maintenance schedule. Always use a "star washer" that will take a good bite. Also always keep a battery that is in good condition. If the alternator is constantly trying to charge a weak battery it will cause voltage spikes in the system. Be careful about jump starting for the same reason. This goes for all your vehicles and equipment,including late model diesels. Before you unhook the cables after a jump,turn on your headlamps so a voltage jump has somewhere to go.
Vehicle electronics are ultra reliable if you think of the amount of them out there running trouble free. A lot of problems are caused by bad connections and corrosion and are misdiagnosed. E.C.M. have been on cars since the 1970's.
Logosol M-7
New Holland 35 hp tractor
International T-6 Dozer
Takeuchi mini excavator
Stihl Chainsaws

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 04:31:35 pm »
Gremlins
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 04:57:01 pm »

Good post above, with the high amp electric pumps and maybe a bad ground a voltage spike could fry  some electrical components.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline POSTONLT40HD

• Senior Member x2
  • G29
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 05:45:59 pm »
If the grounds were not right or the battery or the alternator weren't right, it would show up on the laptop via the software.
As of now and the same as before, its idling and sawing wide slabs like a brand new engine.
No fault codes are coming up and she's just as smooth as silk when working.
No bad grounds.
I'm hoping the TPS was just a bad part. Kohler is making it right and not charging for another TPS.

We'll see.
I'm thinking......

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 06:33:47 pm »
What I always wonder, is if there is any lower grade ethanol still in the line before I pump it.  Most gas stations around here that sell high test ethanol free have 3 grades pumping through one line.  So if the guy in head of you pumped 87 ethanol full fuel, is there still some residing in the line that will mix in with your non-ethanol requirements.  What I've done before to remedy this is I'd empty 1 gal first into my pickup, and then fill my gas jugs, but I don't have a gas eating pickup anymore so now I just prime the line onto the ground or into the garbage can before I fill up my fuel can. 

(ok I'm just kidding about priming it onto the ground or into a garbage can. I just don't worry about it anymore, but I had thought about that lol)

According to the American Petroleum Institute the gas-pump hose typically retains about one third of a gallon of fuel.
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 08:03:39 pm »
I still believe its epa related and faulty designs that are suppose to make clean exhaust,  fact is it should not be happening, this fuel, smuele talk wears me out, they know fuel, just not the engineering to accommodate to meet epa specs worth any consistent performance. JMO,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline Delawhere Jack

• Senior Member x2
  • I ought to know better.....
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2017, 09:38:02 pm »
"SOFTWARE? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' SOFTWARE!!"

The crank on the Onan goes round and round
Round and round!
Round and round!

:D
black walnut, cherry, SYP, southern magnolia, poplar, hemlock, osage orange, red oak, white oak, chestnut oak, black locust, english walnut, ERC, WP, hickory, ash, black birch, beech, honey locust, apple, white cedar, black oak, basswood(?), sassafras and a "Christmas tree" full of iron

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 12:45:12 am »
On the ethanol in gas issue, in Canada the law requires all Premium gasoline to be ethanol-free. That's specifically aimed at those of us who have engines that don't tolerate ethanol.

Last summer, after much soul-searching, Barb traded in her diesel Smart car. Our dealer/mechanic made it very clear that we could not use gas containing ethanol in the new wheels. After a month or so of driving, the "check engine" light came on, so Barb took it in for a look-see. The code came up as "ethanol in fuel". Well, we only used Premium (only two fill ups) so we couldn't figure out how it could happen ???. As it turns out, the sensor in the car will detect any amount of ethanol, even a trace ::).

Nearly all the stations around here use blender-type pumps -- one storage tank of regular fuel, one of premium fuel, push a button to get the mix you want and it comes out a common hose. So yes, even the small residue left in the hose will mix a bit of ethanol into the premium you put in your tank. No harm to Barb's vehicle, but she'd have to keep having the fault memory on the computer reset.

The dealer directed us to Chevron. Their pumps have three hoses -- one for diesel, one for blended fuel (including premium), and a third one for "premium plus" (which I suspect is just premium that goes through a dedicated hose). Naturally it costs more >:(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 07:58:41 am »
Brucer, can I ask what kind of Auto that is??
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline Clover

• I'm newish
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 08:07:57 am »
In this day and age of ethanol free fuel about as common as leaded fuel what car manufacturer would make a car that won't use ethanol?
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Offline richhiway

• Rich
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 01:48:56 pm »
I wasn't doubting that your tbs was your trouble,I was just giving some general info because folks where questioning the need for computers.

Trust me they are here to stay and will only get more complicated. I was trying to say that giving the amount of vehicle and equipment hours in use they have been proven extremely reliable,provide fuel efficiency,clean emissions and way more power and driveability. I love the old stuff too,in reality the new stuff is better in almost every area.

It reminds me of my old 1987 4cyl mercruiser. It had a delco points distributor and I don't know how many times it would not start until I cleaned the points. After sitting around they would get a little film on them.
I replaced them with a electronic ignition conversion and not only has it started instantly and been trouble free for the last 10 years, it runs better too.

Just don't forget the basics before diving in and replacing expensive components.
Logosol M-7
New Holland 35 hp tractor
International T-6 Dozer
Takeuchi mini excavator
Stihl Chainsaws

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 11:03:18 pm »
Brucer, can I ask what kind of Auto that is??

I ain't sayin' :-[.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 12:50:40 pm »
You realize that now ya gotta say or you'll never hear the end of it!  ;)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline scully

• Orange Mills Matter
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 06:10:48 pm »
I have no general insite to this issue other than this . Last summer I bought a new 325 Miller Trailblazer I was sure I mentioned that I wanted the EFI . Koler . I took it back to the dealers shop a few weeks ago because I wanted them to check some settings for me . In conversation I mentioned something about liking the EFI engine on  my machine . The service mechanic looked at me and said yours is not an EFI engine . I started to get kinda mad untill he told me I have the better engine . From what he says they have had a bunch of problems with them . Now as for the red neck side of me I wish they would come up with a 4 cylinder gas for the lt40 series soon .
A mans greatest tools are his heart ,hands and his imagination .

Offline woodweasel

• I'm No Longer New, But Green As A Gord
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2017, 12:00:36 pm »
I have a new lt 40 hyd. I up graded to 35hp Kohler. My problem is even after engine is warm I have to choke it to start. It is mounted at the very top of the engine , which makes it impossible to reach if head is in the  '' Raised  Position''. I have to lower to reach. I suggested to WM to put a solenoid on the cable with a toggle switch to activate choke. I know this is different than your issues, but  it felt like a good place to add my 2 cents.

Offline POSTONLT40HD

• Senior Member x2
  • G29
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2017, 04:06:47 pm »
I have a new lt 40 hyd. I up graded to 35hp Kohler. My problem is even after engine is warm I have to choke it to start. It is mounted at the very top of the engine , which makes it impossible to reach if head is in the  '' Raised  Position''. I have to lower to reach. I suggested to WM to put a solenoid on the cable with a toggle switch to activate choke. I know this is different than your issues, but  it felt like a good place to add my 2 cents.

Is your engine an EFI?  say_what
I'm thinking......

Offline gmmills

• I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2017, 11:57:17 pm »
  Woodweasel,

I will bet that when you turn the key to the stop position the engine does not immediately stop running, it runs for a few seconds after the key is turned off. WM has this engine, G35, wired to shut down by de-energizing the fuel shut off solenoid at the bottom of the carb float bowl. This basically kills the engine by shutting off fuel flow, runs it out of gas. This is why the engine has to be choked to start even if it is warm. Most all other small gas engines are shut down,stopped, by killing power to the ignition coils. Cannot understand why WM does not wire this engine to shut down by cutting power to the ignition coils. It would only take another wire in the harness to achieve this.

The engine in general is a real torque monster for being a high speed, air cooled, gas engine in it's horsepower range. Extremely impressive.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2017, 12:15:34 am »
  Woodweasel,

WM has this engine, G35, wired to shut down by de-energizing the fuel shut off solenoid at the bottom of the carb float bowl. This basically kills the engine by shutting off fuel flow, runs it out of gas. This is why the engine has to be choked to start even if it is warm. Most all other small gas engines are shut down,stopped, by killing power to the ignition coils. Cannot understand why WM does not wire this engine to shut down by cutting power to the ignition coils. It would only take another wire in the harness to achieve this.

Actually, this is a pretty good idea.  You don't have to worry about there being any old fuel gumming up the carb if it sits over the winter.  However, it would be nice to have the option to cut the fuel remotely.  You could rewire it...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2017, 07:02:21 am »
Will all that's going on with the Kohler engine postonlt40hd, I want to thank you.
For letting me know not to buy anything with a junk Kohler on it .  ;)
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2017, 08:27:16 am »
Is your engine an EFI?  say_what

David, it seems that the model you and I have is the largest horizontal EFI engine Kohler makes.  I wonder why this is?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.