iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler Engine is a Nightmare

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 01, 2017, 09:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Some of you guys might not like this but the more liberal states have done something about this, like MA which has a right to repair law.  Every state just needs to copy MA right to repair that makes companies give consumers ability to repair. 

That's why there are lots of tesla repairs in MA for salvaged cars.

Anyhow, if you feel very strongly organize and promote laws that require consumers to be able to repair by themselves.  I would support that.
Liking Walnut

starmac

Poston. It is easy to blame the kohler techs, but even the best trained is going to run the codes,and when it comes up a bad tps, that is what they will replace, that is just the way it works. Not saying that they should decide they won't help anymore, or not work on one just because it is on a mill, that is a different story.

Now where I do blame them on yours, is along about the third one (anybody can get a bad part) they should have checked all grounds, and the complete wiring harness, they knew something was killing it.  I am not taking anything away from the tech that finally found the bad ecu, but to tell the truth it makes it 100% easier to find the problem once it gets bad enough to finally QUIT until it is fixed.
As far as woodmiser going all out for you, that is their job, they are the ones that sold you the mill, decided whose components to use on it, and so on.

If I buy a new KW, the only part of the truck that KW builds is the cab, and parts of the suspension, but they are responsible for every itty bitty piece of it, right down to the paint. If I buy a cat part, I buy it from KW or Freightliner, etc instead of cat. The reason is they will warranty it when it, if it goes bad, if I buy from CAT, then the part has to be sent back to emporia to be analized before cat will authorize the cat dealer to replace it, maybe a month or more. I do not have any buying power from Cat, KW does, so they can get it taken care of now. All that said, there are some dealers that will give you the run around at times.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I know STARMAC.....but I guess everybody would have to walk a mile in my shoes to understand.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

As long you are happy,that is all that counts.
I have had some people try to tell me a better way to do something. Of course they know a better way,they only saw about 5% of the way I do it,but they know a better way.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hersnsh#590

In regards to Cfarm's last post, an old saying I like is "Every job is easy for the man who doesn't have to do it"

dale
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

YellowHammer

I don't know.....after seeing Poston's shoes,  I'm starting to think it may be operator error.   :D :D :D
Remember, if ever attacked by a bunch of clowns, always go for the juggler.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ladylake

Poston   (What hissies me off is the first Authorizer Kohler Mechanic  finally told me that their new policy is NOT to work on any engine that has to do with a sawmill.)

That statement tells me you are not the only one having trouble by far. I'm still going with the high powered alternator putting out voltage spikes when you are working the hydraulic hard knocking out the sensitive electric components.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

tawilson

Quote from: ladylake on November 30, 2017, 05:31:46 AM

Poston   (What hissies me off is the first Authorizer Kohler Mechanic  finally told me that their new policy is NOT to work on any engine that has to do with a sawmill.)

That statement tell me you are not the only one having trouble by far. I'm still going with the high powered alternator putting out voltage spikes when you are working the hydraulic hard knocking out the sensitive electric components.  Steve
I have a pickup truck that has a glitch caused by the same thing. Smaller battery combined with high output alternator shuts down some of my electronics when using the plow. It's an issue with Fords and  Chevy's. Ford came out with a software fix that didn't work for me. Chevy invented a new wiriring harness that I heard did work. It happens when the load is taken off the alternator. The computer senses the spike and shuts things down to protect them.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

4x4American

Steve may be onto something...they make EMI insulator device thingys to help protect against that I had to put something like that on my 98 dodge cause the alternator was making the torque convertor lock and unlock randomly
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The alternator has been off the mill and checked twice my an Althorized  Alternator. Checker.
Been through 5 TPS parts.
Do you think twice on the alternator is enough.
Nothing found wrong.

WDH

You better get your butt to work.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ladylake

Not saying the alternator is bad just putting out a voltage spike when you take the load off the hydraulics.  If you have trouble again I'd put on one of Emi insulators like  4x4 mentioned or something similar.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Crusarius

Simple test for that would be a simple multimeter connected directly to the alternator.

Kbeitz

Quote from: tawilson on November 30, 2017, 06:23:50 AM
Quote from: ladylake on November 30, 2017, 05:31:46 AM

That statement tell me you are not the only one having trouble by far. I'm still going with the high powered alternator putting out voltage spikes when you are working the hydraulic hard knocking out the sensitive electric components.  Steve
I have a pickup truck that has a glitch caused by the same thing. Smaller battery combined with high output alternator shuts down some of my electronics when using the plow. It's an issue with Fords and  Chevy's. Ford came out with a software fix that didn't work for me. Chevy invented a new wiriring harness that I heard did work. It happens when the load is taken off the alternator. The computer senses the spike and shuts things down to protect them.

You need a clamping diode...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ladylake

It would have to be hooked up and recorded while sawing , I'd think a voltage spike would happen when you bottom out a cylinder or maybe a real heavy log.  I don't think a voltage suppressor cost a lots and if it was my mill I'd give it a try.  Steve

(Simple test for that would be a simple multimeter connected directly to the alternator.)

tawilson

Yes. I always figured some sort of surge suppressor would fix it. I just turn on everything I can to take the load. And more careful about when I let up on the load. What I am not sure is if it's a voltage or amperage spike.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

pineywoods

I have followed this thread with great interest since the first post. If the problem (or something similar) shows up again, here's a simple way to isolate it. Disconnect the +12 volt lead from the ecu. Hook it to an external 12 volt battery that's grounded to the head frame and bungee corded to the mill. Saw..If the problem goes away, the ecu computer is being clobbered by voltage spikes from external sources. NO, a voltmeter won't show a thing, voltage spikes from dc motors and alternators will be only milliseconds in duration. This situation smells like a spike from the hydraulic motor. When that motor (or motors) turn off, they will spike the mill electrical system with what could be a couple hundred volts of very short duration. Nothing wrong with the motors, it's just the nature of the beast...I have a mill with that kohler coming to my shop sometime next year, as soon as the owner digs it out of the sawdust and trash pile. Only problem it's a manual mill, no hydraulics, but I do have the necessary electronic test equipment. Continued later..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm sawing wide open right now. How long should it take for the ECU to go ot again?
If it's surges from the ALT it shouldn't take long.

I'm I right? I don't know. But I would thing 1 electrical surge would interrupt something.

Hilltop366

If this is the cause my guess is it could take lots of voltage spikes to weaken the circuit or component in the board to the point of causing a failure Other wise it would have quit long ago the first time around.

Vibration can also cause electronics to fail over time and often starts intermittently.

Time will tell.

starmac

Alternator is a possibility, but spikes can be caused by other things too. it has been my experience that low voltages causes as many or more problems and many times it is grounds causing it.

I do not think what is going on is a design problem with the machine, the kohler electronics or the alternator used, or every mill would be experiencing the same thing.

Hopefully it was a bad ecu, possibly dasmasged by running it with the first bad tps, popping and skipping, time will tell.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

redprospector

Poston, just saw and enjoy the fact that things are going your way (finally).
If it starts acting up...well, cross that bridge when you get to it. A man can spend a lot of money trying to cross bridges before he gets there.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Kbeitz

Can all this new stuff be stripped of the engine and ran without it?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

Exactly what Steve said..and for once we agree on something!   8)

Before I bought the insulator I tried wrapping the wires coming off the alternator with tin foil...it didnt seem to fix the problem though
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

One must hold one's mouth right.  Old saying. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The Alt has a resistor in it keeping the Alt from spiking.
I've had it checked twice.
It is impossible to hook a bunch of electronics up to an engine and watch for voltage variations and saw at a the same time.
Thats a good way to really tear something up.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!