iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting ready to finish some lumber

Started by joegeds, March 31, 2017, 01:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegeds

Guys, I posted this in the forestry and logging forum and now think it's better for this forum - mods, please delete whichever one you feel is appropriate.  I was hoping some of you could tell me if I'm on the right track with this dilemma:
I have access to a room full of professional woodworking equipment, so my buddy asked me for a favor.  He has a bunch of walnut that he got when he had a walnut tree removed years ago.  He had a guy come out and mill it for him in exchange for some of the resulting lumber.  He has had 11 boards in his garage for about 10 years.  He has them stored properly with stickers about every 2 feet separating each board.  I don't have a moisture meter, but it is very dry.  They are all 9' long and 13" wide and no live edges.  9 of them are 1.1" thick, another is 1.4" thick, and the last is 1.8" thick.  None of the ends are split whatsoever, and there is very little warping and/or twisting.
My thought is that I should rip the 13" wide boards in half.  Two reasons for this:
1) I'm afraid that they are still prone to splitting. 
2) The jointer at the shop is 8".  If i rip them, I can run one face on the jointer - assuring a flat face, then run the other face on the planer.
I just don't see a reason to keep them 13" wide.  BTW, I am only referring to the 9 boards that are 1.1" thick.  The two that are thicker I will just run through the planer and keep them 13" wide.  Does my plan sound reasonable, or should I keep them all 13" wide and run them through the planer?
Modify message
Ghosts crowd the young childs' fragile, egg shell mind........

WLC

What does your buddy plan on doing with the lumber?  That question needs to be asked first.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

joegeds

I'm not sure what he plans to do with it.  i know he wants to make a bar top with the thicker pieces.  Can you tell me for what type of project the wide board would be better for?

Kbeitz

Small pieces is never worth what a wide piece is.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

I would not favor doing anything until I knew what the use would be.   I certainly would not suggest ripping the 13" boards.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

joegeds

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 31, 2017, 02:41:13 PM
Small pieces is never worth what a wide piece is.

I agree.  But given the advantage of running the first side through a jointer makes this a harder decision.  Because running a piece through a planer doesn't necessarily make the board flat does it?  It's my understanding that running it through a jointer does.

WDH

Face jointing before planing assures a flatter board. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

YellowHammer

I also would not rip high value, wide boards into narrow boards.   

There are techniques for running wider than capacity pieces on a jointer, depending on the jointer configuration, and then using a piece of board under only the jointed strip of the board, as a simple sled.

Or a real jointer sled. 

Or if the planer has adjustable height bed rollers, you can drop them completely into the bed to have a flat planer bed which serves as a short bed jointer (not quite as good as a real jointer, but still flattens reasonably well).  A planer with the rollers up is really just a thicknesser and the board will curl around the rollers.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!