iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3/4 pitch harverster chain sharpener adapter

Started by Randy88, March 30, 2017, 08:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy88

Anyone have a 3/4 pitch chain sharpener adapter laying around for an Oregon sharpener or how do you make one to sharpen 3/4 pitch chain on an Oregon sharpener.     

I have bought 3/4 pitch chain and now need to sharpen them and Oregon apparently Oregon can't seem to get me one, six months and waiting and still nothing.     

I can buy a new maxx grinder and they claim an adapter comes with those new, but this can't be rocket science to make something to sharpen the chains on my stock Oregon grinder, anyone done it and willing to share how its done??     Thanks in advance.   

Gary_C

You need a different chain vice plus the 1/4" wide grinding wheel.

I'm not sure if you need a wider vice with the latest Oregon sharpener. It claims to sharpen all chain sizes. Perhaps they do not sell the separate vice anymore if you cannot get one.

Check with the harvester dealers like Ponsse in Grand Rapids, MN or Rolland Machinery in Escanaba,MI. They should have something as they use a lot of 3/4 pitch chain.

I have one of those vices but still use it occasionally. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

xalexjx

what grinder do you have? i believe mine is a 520 and came all set up for 3/4. Iv since bought a carbide chains and havent looked back, have had it on my slasher for 5 months or so and still cuts like i put it on.
Logging and Processed Firewood

Randy88

This issue has been to convince Oregon their computer is wrong and they don't actually have in stock in their warehouses any of the sharpener adapters the computers say they do, and to get them to make more of adapters.       

Right now the only grinder I can get with any adapter on that will sharpen 3/4 pitch chain is the maxx grinder, but nobody seems to know anything about how that part is used or can explain it to me over the phone, only its supposed to be in the box and "should" sharpen 3/4 pitch chain. 

I'd have to look and see what model of Oregon sharpener I have, I'm thinking its a 511a off the top of my head.

Xalexjx, can you tell me more about your carbide chain and where you get it from?    What brand of chain is it?   

snowstorm

my 511 came with the 1\4" wheel. i only grind 404. i am pretty sure everything was with it to do 3\4

1270d

The newer 511 grinders come with two chain stops, one for .404 and smaller, one for 3/4.    Is that what you are referring to?   I believe it's the only change necessary on the grinder with the twist clamp other than wheel size

Randy88

I was told the whole tray assembly had to be replaced in order to fit 3/4 pitch chain, the current tray holder isn't wide enough, deep enough and the chain stop isn't short enough either, but nobody at Oregon can seem to answer any questions on how to modify mine to sharpen 3/4 pitch chain.   

I was told the adjusting/tightening screw unthreads and the whole tray assembly lifts off, new tray goes on and the adjusting screw is screwed back on and that's all there is to it along with putting on a wider grinding wheel.     

Anyone made a tray assembly, or modified the current tray to fit 3/4 chain without totally destroying the current tray so I can still sharpen 404 and 3/8 chains as well?

Randy88

While waiting for the chain holder tray to show up, which has already been over six months, my dealer sharpened the chains with a air die grinder and a small gritted fob, used it yesterday and he did a great job.

Thank You Sponsors!