iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curly Cherry with a Unique Twist

Started by Glenn1, March 30, 2017, 07:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

I picked up seven curly cherry logs a few weeks ago.  From the end grain, it looked like wain had somehow infiltrated the log.  Has anyone seen this before?

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

kensfarm

When you say wain is that the same as bark inclusion some say incursion?  I have some hickory like that..  I used some for the inside of a wall off back porch.. couple coats varnish..  I really liked the way it looked.. I have a picture I'll have to post it.

Don P

It looks like bird pecks and gum streaks, defects to lumber buyers and beautiful to the rest of us  :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sealark37

It is very common in cherry from your, (our) area, but I have never seen so much of it in one board, so closely spaced.  Regards, Clark

GAB

At the Indy tool show a few years ago there was one company that had a box built out of sycamore that looked somewhat like that.  Their theory was that the tree had been in a tornado at one time.
Personally I have no clue.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ron Wenrich

We get those gum streaks and pitch pockets in some of our cherry.  It often comes from peach borers.  That can be due to harvesting practices.  I never could sell boards or veneer that had gum streak or pockets at the commercial level. 

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/fnr-229-w.pdf
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Glenn1

Quote from: WDH on March 31, 2017, 07:47:01 AM
I want it  :D.

Would you sell it to your customers?  Inquiring minds want to know🤔
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

scsmith42

Quote from: Glenn1 on March 31, 2017, 09:30:23 PM

Absolutely, and market it as "RARE"!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don P

Quote from: scsmith42 on March 31, 2017, 09:55:33 PM

Absolutely, and market it as "RARE"!

I dunno that looks "Well Done" from here  :D

woodhick

Are you sure its Black Cherry?  I cut some Cherry a few years back that was not Black Cherry but what locals around here call Pin Cherry and it looked a lot like that.   Its an ornamental tree that can grow pretty good size.  Bark is more flaky than regular Black Cherry??? 
James
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

WDH

The customers always seem to walk away with my best wood  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Sure!  Every customer has different tastes.  I've sold boards that were riddled with carpenter ant tunnels, because they had a unique, pecky like pattern.

People look for unique and different, they look for wood that has individualism.  Of course some want boards that look like blank printer paper, also.  Each to their own. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Sometimes I hesitate to throw ugly crazy piece in the slab pile.  Every time I desist, I always ending up selling it  :).

Magicman

I just use stuff like that for firewood.  It splits easily and those pitch pockets allow the log to catch fire quite nicely.  Matter of fact, Cherry and Walnut are my all time favorites for firewood.  :D

OK, it was just some April Fools humor.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Walnut burns hot, that's for sure.  I gave some kiln dried scraps to my nephew and he used it for a campfire.  He came back telling me he'd never seem coals melt glass bottles so fast.   :D. I have no idea why he and his friends had so many glass bottles on a camping trip.
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

123maxbars

NICE! a good find as my buddy says,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Bruno of NH

I have been selling a lot of wood of late.
One of my friends was an owner of a big mill and tells me you will never sell that stuff.
Well i do and my customers love it.
If they love it and Mr Green backs loves it i love it too :D
Bruno
By the way waiting for a new customer to show up from 2 hours away to buy some of that un sellable stuff :)
They put up pallet walls in homes now :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Hilltop366

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 02, 2017, 08:18:28 AM
Walnut burns hot, that's for sure.  I gave some kiln dried scraps to my nephew and he used it for a campfire.  He came back telling me he'd never seem coals melt glass bottles so fast.   :D. I have no idea why he and his friends had so many glass bottles on a camping trip.

Because they were not backpacking, if the were backpacking they would have brought aluminum cans. ;D

Glenn1

I finally got around to putting the cherry with gummosis into the kiln and planing it.  The boards were cut to 6/4 and I put them on the shelf.  It took 1 day and they are almost all sold out.   Now, I am looking for more of them. 

YellowHammer

There's never enough of a unique thing.   :D
YellowHammerisms:

WDH

Speaking of unique, I quartersawed a 9' white oak log that was 27" on the small end.  When I opened up the log, I thought that something was wrong with my blade because I could see these diagonal streaks that looked like ridges across the board.  Wrong.  It was the grain in the wood changing directions.  Never seen anything like this in white oak.  Turns out that I now have about 240 bf of quilted, curly, quartersawn white oak.

Very serendipitous  ;D.

YellowHammer

Nice!
I think you are going to have the same problem Glenn1 had as soon as it's ready to sell, not enough of a unique thing!
YellowHammerisms:

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

You got one, you just don't know which one it is.  I was going to come over and buy another one or two logs from you, so maybe I can find it  ;D ;D. 

Thank You Sponsors!