iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skid steer grapple for skidding?

Started by OH logger, March 30, 2017, 07:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

has anyone used one of the grapples from ryans or fecon to skid logs?? it stinks that you have to pull them out backwards but its better than not working...I think.  ;D    I have always had a small dozer in the back of my mind to skid with when its too wet for my skidder, but they are pricey to buy and maintain for a few jobs a year.  I was just thinkin this might be a cheaper alternative. they look like the 3 point mounted tractor grapples, just for a skid steer instead. I have a bobcat T-770 so its substantial enough to get me into trouble  :D. last week I pulled some decent sized walnuts out with it after I cut them in half and you couldn't even see where I had been. low ground pressure and narrow and it was wet. my biggest concern is when pulling one out and trying to turn and the one track spins out. but  I might be able to tilt forward and back and so on until I get around the corner and goin again. any thoughts??
john

BargeMonkey

The guys name is Jeff Karchener, I believe he has 3 diff models he makes for the skidsteer. I can get you a phone # if you want. It does look pretty slick and I guess it's basically bolt on.

OH logger

ya it would be nice to talk to him. how do you see to get the grapple on the log though??
john

BargeMonkey

Quote from: OH logger on March 30, 2017, 08:03:34 PM
ya it would be nice to talk to him. how do you see to get the grapple on the log though??
I will get it tonight, he advertises on FB. I have no clue, I would almost figure you put in a decent back up camera with a screen, that would work. It does look like a nice setup, utilize both ends of the machine, skid and load.

OH logger

john

barbender

I have one I built for my Case 1845c. It actually works quite well if you have a very short skid, it's handiest for piling and sorting on the landing though. I use mine all the time.
Too many irons in the fire

brianJ

Tracked skid steer sees like an expensive way to skid logs.   

Pclem

I've been looking to get a skidding grapple too. I've got a narrow stump grapple that I can grab the butt, and short skid to trail or small openings, but I can only grab one at a time. It'd be nice to bunch smaller wood. That rear skidding grapple looks pretty slick too. I'd like to see a video in action.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

mike_belben

You can get a pretty decent older "farm" dozer for 10-12k if you are willing to drive for it.  Case machines have power to both tracks through a turn and do well in sloppy tight conditions.  Wide pads are tough in stumps and rocks but theyll cross a swamp with less sinking than a human. 
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Autocar

I can hear your gears turning OH logger  :D My question, seem's like it would be hard to see behind your machine where the log and grapple would line up. But looks cool !
Bill

OH logger

been doin a lot of thinkin about it and I'm talkin myself right into it.  ;D   I could even use it in the wet spells on shorts skids in moderate sized timber. for me maneuvering around corners, droppin the log to reposition and regrab the log repeatedly I'm thinkin the front mount would be better but on "long" skids and straightaways the rear mount would be nicer. personally I think in the size timber I deal with there will be a lot of droppin and repositioning. I have to call barge monkeys contact and talk to him before I go any further. that will be a great job on Monday when its RAINING  >:(. a front mount would be great for stuffing containers with logs too if that would come around  ;)
john

barbender

My opinion, if it's a long enough skid that you need the rear mounted one, go get your skidder. The front mount, think of it as miniature shovel logging ;)

OH logger

Quote from: barbender on April 02, 2017, 12:45:58 AM
My opinion, if it's a long enough skid that you need the rear mounted one, go get your skidder. The front mount, think of it as miniature shovel logging ;)

I agree with that. I ONLY will use it when its too wet for the rubber tire skidder OR if a buy a few walnut trees out of a woods and cant justify haulin in the skidder
john

barbender

That's exactly what it would work well for. There are several outfits making them, from a basic one without power rotation (grapple just swivels) to power rotator equipped, with a hydraulic winch on it.

DDW_OR

backup camera
http://peakauto.com/products/electronics/back-up-cameras/back-up-camera-7-inch/

i have the older style from Sams Club.
I can flip and/or rotate the image on the display so the image on the display matches what is behind me.
my camera connects either wired or wireless. wireless is great for backing my RV trailer into a tight area. camera with 12V battery is on the ground looking at the back of the RV trailer, and the display in the pickup
"let the machines do the work"

OH logger

I'm kinda set on a Ryans Equipment skidloader grapple (the 6060 model). does any one have any experience with any of Ryans products? they seem to be well built to me but I don't have any thing from them. thanks
john

barbender

No experience with them, their stuff looks robust though. Look around, their's quite a few manufacturers making rhem.

snowkraft

I have a Valby skidsteer grapple which I have used quite a bit. It is fairly sturdy, although I did have to reinforce the beam. I am on my second grapple head- I broke the first one moving rocks, which I don't think it was designed to do. I use it with a Gehl 7810 with steel trax. The 7810 is the biggest wheeled skidsteer made, at around 10,500 lbs.

I have picked up monster logs with the grapple, and placed in my 15 yard dump truck. It is a tad bit dangerous. I would recommend a steel screen on your cab, although I don't have one yet.

There were not many grapple choices when I got mine about 10 yrs ago. Nice to see a better selection now. I do like the design of some of the other grapples better- they look stronger- but the Valby grapple should hold up just fine if you don't abuse it like I did. I am a bit tough on equipment. The prices of some of the grapples are astronomical. In my mind, the prices are too high. I think Valby is cheaper. And, you can always modify it, like I did.

ShowMeSawyer

Valby stone grapple and rotator. Bought the hydraulic components. Built everything else from scratch.

SMS

BargeMonkey

I bought one of those skidsteer style grapples CHEAP and brand new. I think it's a "blue ox" looks like the Valby. The guy who bought it new took a ride 1-2 times picking up too much to high. 😂 I tried it, used it, I don't honestly like it, it's sat out back for 3-4yrs. Unless your grabbing 1 log or 1 rock, which it would be handy at it won't feed a sawmill / processor or anything like that, even loading with it can be awkward. Going backwards dragging stuff it will do that, just all depends on application.

snowkraft

That looks like the Valby grapple I have, but obviously a bit stronger for stones. Excellent build!! I need to get a stone grapple. Thanks for the idea!!

barbender

Barge, I think you didn't try hard enough because you had other equipment on hand ;) They do have limited capacity, I built a little cart for mine I can stack about 1/2 cord on, grab the tongue with the grapple and pull it to the mill. I can pick the whole cart up and carry it back when empty. But it would be mighty slow driving back and fort with one stick at a time.

barbender

My little setup. 
I kinda copied a picture of a Valby when I built mine, if I did it over it would be more like showmesawyer's, it way easier to heel wood with the boom setup like that.

ShowMeSawyer

A few more pics. The WO log in the pics is 9.5' long x 24" dia. Weight, just over a ton. Skidsteer is  Bobcat T320.

Thank You Sponsors!