iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Walnut and with Kiln Drying in Mind

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 30, 2017, 07:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have NEVER taken anything to be kiln dried....but I am now.

I have about 500 bf of Ambrosia Maple lumber I have aired dried down to 14%...stacked and stickered.

Last week we sawed Walnut slabs and lumber. It is stacked and stickered to get the % down to at least 20%.

We took the day off and drove to Shelby, N.C......about 40 minutes away.
Kirk and I went to check out the kiln we will be taking the Maple and Walnut to.

Here is what there website said:

In 1946 William Yancey Ellis cleared off a cotton field and built a shed to house a planer mill. As one of the first local lumber yards in Cleveland County, North Carolina, Ellis supplied high quality lumber and hardware to local residences.

In the early 1950's the first dry kiln was installed to kiln dry hardwood and pine lumber. In 1958 a wood preserving plant was installed to treat lumber. Two more kilns where installed over the next 10 years.

Due to regulation changes in pallets and shipping crates world-wide, Ellis Lumber Company has now transitioned into one of the largest dry kilns for wooden pallets in the South Eastern Region. Ellis Lumber one of the best kiln dry companies in the South Eastern Region.

They have 3 HUGE kilns. Here are the 2 that set side by side.

I have never seen so much lumber kiln dried and band waiting pick up.

I don't have a pic of the Maple but here is the Walnut we sawed. Slabs and Lumber.
I'm really excited about getting this to a Kiln when its time.

Thanks WDH for the advice. You're my "Go To" professor when it comes to lumber.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

David,

Are you planning on using the lumber right away, selling it or storing it when it comes back?  If stored, do you have a climate controlled area? I understand it will draw back the moisture if not.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 30, 2017, 08:03:41 PM
David,

Are you planning on using the lumber right away, selling it or storing it when it comes back?  If stored, do you have a climate controlled area? I understand it will draw back the moisture if not.

I have a climate controlled shop across the road at my house. All my tools and tables were moved to the saw shed. I will store the kiln dried lumber there.....under lock and key.  :D Not gonna leave it at the mill.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

warren46

David,

I suggest that you talk to Carolina Urban Lumber on Old Pineville Road in Charlotte.  They have a dehydration kiln and are very capable of drying high value hardwoods.  That Kind of drying is very different than treating pallets.

I have worked with them in the past and find them very helpful.  PM me if you need contact information.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

WDH

They will appreciate that you have your lumber nicely prepared for drying. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!