iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore Seeds

Started by Puffergas, March 29, 2017, 09:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

I've collected some sycamore seeds and planted some of these tiny seeds in a started kit. A few have sprouted. My question, is it better to place the blunt end in the soil first or place the shaft tail into the soil first?

At first I thought this was a weed.

But in time the third tree like leaf showed up.

Blows my mind that this could become a 100 foot tree. Much less how could this survive outside.......
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Ox

Don't think it matters much.  The seedling will know which way to grow using gravity.  Acorns can be sitting any old way and don't seem to care one way or another.  Do you have a nice wet place to plant your sycamore seedlings?  We have many around here up and down the cricks mostly, but not so much the river.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Puffergas

Thanks Ox, lots of wet spots to call home. Two more sprouted today.. 😀
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Ox

Maybe you can do a little experiment just to see, using 3 or 4 seeds.  One up, one down, at least one on the side to see if it makes any difference.  I think the only difference you'll see is maybe something like 2 days until the sprout gets turned around.  :laugh:
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Puffergas

I did a few experiments but got them mixed up so I need to redo it with a note pad in hand. I would explore with Dad's way but I I can not bring myself to dig up a few to see how they started because I only have a few sprouts. Now where is that note pad???????? ☺
Jeff

Puffergas

OK, I cracked and dug one up that I noticed just starting to sprout. I also redid one block of cells for the up down experiment.

Judging from this photo it looks upside down - - but maybe not.
Jeff

Ox

Maybe in our human eyes it's technically upside down.  But it looks to me the way it would naturally fall from the tree and land in the grass heavy side down.  It just doesn't care, does it?  :)  Trees are so adaptable.  They'll grow around anything.  Not much will stop them from doing so , either.  Trees are amazing.

Puffergas

The seed ball on the left falls from the tree. But the seed on the right has fuzzy stuff (not in photo) that could blow it around in the wind.

Below in the middle is a sprout with the husk on top like a hat. Hard to see on the photo.

Jeff

Weekend_Sawyer

I love sycamore trees. As you approach our cabin down by the creek this time of year you can see the white arms reaching for the sky. In the early morning light the seem to glow out of the gloom.
Makes me happy. :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Puffergas

Looks like I'll be losing one. Maybe not enough water.

Jeff

Puffergas

Been doing some TSI work already.

The most productive planting method, for me, has been to break up all the seed balls (I doubt all are created equal) and mix up the seeds. Next lay down a layer of seeds, kind of like a pinch of snuff per pocket. Next cover with thin layer of potting soil.

Jeff

Ox

It still amazes me how such a small seed can grow to a huge tree.  There are sycamores around here so large it would take 3 large men or more with outstretched arms to get around the trunk.  They can get positively enormous.

Puffergas

We can not leave out the story of Samual Pringles:

"There they made their home in a giant, hollow sycamore tree --more than eleven feet across! They cleared out the dirt and leaves that cluttered the inside, made a stone fireplace inside the tree with rocks from the river, and used a great knothole up high in the tree as a smoke vent.  They covered the opening to their tree-house home with animal skins to shelter themselves from the wind, rain, and snow. They made comfortable, warm beds with large furs piled several layers thick.  Being skilled hunters and trappers, they lived modestly in this tree from 1765 until 1768, getting their food and making their clothing from the meat and furs from the abundant wildlife of the region. They also gathered chestnuts, walnuts, hickory nuts, beechnuts, and wild grapes to add to their diet. Sometimes they would catch a spotted trout in a clear stream that branched off from the river. "

Nice pictures here:
http://www.treeboss.net/Sycamore-Treehouse.htm
Jeff

Ox

Cool story and pictures - thanks for sharing!  Those trees are bigger than any around here, but I remember being amazed at the size of the ones I've found down along the cricks.

Thank You Sponsors!