iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Give me the boot....

Started by Captain, December 11, 2004, 05:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

OK, not kick me off the forum, but I need to know what you folks are using for footwear when working.

I am pretty partial to my Red Wing boots, and typically like them for working in dry or at least semi-dry conditions.   In snow and winter conditions I like my Sorel felt lined boots, although they offer no protection to the toes and from chainsaws.  In conditons such as mud or heavy rain I have never had a pair of leather boots that kept the feet warm and dry.  I would like to know what you folks are using with success.  I was wondering if some of the chainsaw safety boots weather and wear well, that would certainly make them worth the money.

thanks for you opinions!! :)

Captain

Jeff

My current pair of boots are Rockies. Water resistant and insulated. Tough boots. The Company buys our safety shoes so I probably would not have spent the 190 bucks they cost. I am sure glad they did though. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

You don't want to know the price of Red Wings in Canada but I got over five years out of the last pair. The loggers I worked with all wore Sorels in the winter. I can handle the cold as long as my feet are warm and dry. I also got service out of a pair of Yankee made Cat boots. I won't waste money on the offshore ones
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

I favor Red Wings.  I have used the 6" boot for years.  They last a long time but are a little on the  heavy side.  

I decided that I wanted a pair of light shoes that I could use around the mill.  Most of the time I'm just standing or walking around and not climbing on logs or slab piles.  I found a pair of Wolverine "low quarters" that have a padded insole and are really comfortable. They are half the weight of the red wings and  have held up real good.  They are so comfortable that I wear them most everywhere I go.  Still oiled leather and built strong, working around the sawmill hasn't harmed them at all and I feel safe from stumbling in them.  My ankles aren't supported but the 6" boot will sometimes rub my ankle raw anyway.  The 8" boot will sometimes bind my calf.  The Low quarters are nice for a change.

Pedalbiker

I have to add another vote for redwings. My main pair of boots at the factory right now are danners and they are holding up as well as past redwings.  In my experience I get what I pay for, buy good boots and they are more comfortable and last significently longer.  

BTW sorel used to make safety toe pac boots, not sure what they offer anymore.
Patrick Hubble
Coleman, MI

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."      Charles Buxton

Kirk_Allen

Currently, like Jeff, I wear Rockies.  

Mine are Gortex with 1000 gr of Thinsulate.  I have had them for going on 6 years and the sole is just now starting to seperate.

This is my second pair.  The first pair lasted me 8 years.

sprucebunny

Insulated, steel toe red rubber boots. About $65. Warm, dry, last a year or two. Got em at Labonville. Were made in USA untill last year. Forgien ones are a little narrower.
I have very wide feet and always buy mens EEEE.
Would love to have cut protection over the instep but will settle for the bright yellow toe caps.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ed_K

I wear gortex Wolverine's in dry times, 2nd yr on em. Mud and snow I have the rubber corked boots from Bailey's, for when I'm just chopping, if I'm running the skidder I wear Sorel's.
Ed K

ohsoloco

A couple months ago I purchased a pair of uninsulated 8" Rockies...about $110.  I like em  :)  As far as insulated boots,  I also have a pair of felt lined Sorels that I like to use in the snow, and a pair of insulated Matterhorns that I've had for about 8 years.  

I'm glad Santa isn't reading a book...I like this guy better  :P

OneWithWood

When I wore out my Wolverines I picked up a pair of CAT hightops, stee toes, slip resistant and electical hazard work boots.  I wear them out in the woods when I am using the chain saw or operating the crawler.  For a lighter weight shoe around the mill I wear a pair of CAT pursuit shoes.  They look like athleric shoes but have steel toes and all the other features of the workboot.  Unfortunately I have wide feet also and the shoes come in a 'W' size rather than EE, EEE, EEEE etc. and after a long day my togs are tender.  For chainsaw work in the messy winter weather I wear a pair of caulked boots I got through Bailey's at Tillaways suggestion.  The caulks really help on the slick ground and trees but aren't worth a DanG on rock and metal surfaces so I gots to watch where I put my feet when I am wearing them.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Texas Ranger

Red Wing lace ups, last about a year or so before runover, thin leather and become uncomfortable.  Sorels pac in the wet.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ga_Boy

I'v been wearing a pair of Danner's for over a year now.

Insulated and water proof.  Best boot I've ever had.  Be a real sad day when I got to put them down :'(.  I won't hesitate to buy another set.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

beenthere

Danner's for me, since 1983. Was invited on an elk trip last minute (one member of party had a health problem) with 3 days to get ready. Needed boots, and was told Danners would be 'broke in' and ready to go on long hiking trip in CO. They proved 'ready to go' and I rec'd them the afternoon we left. I am on my third pair and wear them summer and winter, but Sorels if standing all day on a deer stand. The Danners have GoreTex, are waterproof when new  ;D but leak a bit when around 6-8 years old. My feet sweat a lot, so the GoreTex is great. A real tough boot, and I had RedWing before that for 25 years. They were straight leather.  We fortunately have a large independent shoe dealer (ShoeBox) within driving distance that carries every shoe imaginable, as well as the Danners.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dail_h

Been wearing Redwings for years,my last pair lasted 6 years,every day. I have never bought but one pair that didn't feel like "my "shoe the first time I put them on.GP allows us $65.00 a year for saftey shoes.They can't understand why I would pat $190 to $225 for a pair of boots. Guess they never wore a comfortable boot
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

BWG

I bought a pair of White's when I logged out in Colorado.  At the time I was a faller, and was on my feet all day in rugged country.  The boots are made of elk skin, and all natural materials....they are expensive, but they last 5 times as long then most boots, and once you get past the break in period they are totally comfortable.  It is a product that costs alot, but it's worth it...

chet

For summer wear it's my Redwing loggers.  My boot of choice for warm winter footsies are LaCrosse Icemans. They have become the boot of choice in these parts for da cold weather.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

cutterboy

Hey Captain, Redwings for me. They make a warm waterproof boot. It,s a double boot - like a shoe within a boot. ($200+) I've had mine for 10 years but only wear them in the cold or wet. I wear another Redwings boot in the warm and dry, and around the farm. ($100)

Good footwear is so important you just have to spend the money.

Happy stepping, Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Kevin

This time of year I wear Husqvarna pack boots when working in the woods.

Tom_Averwater

I love my Redwings .I had a hard time finding a shoe to fit my feet (13 b ) until I tried Redwings. I even have 2 pair of their dress shoes. :)
He who dies with the most toys wins .

WV_hillbilly

Count me in on the Redwings . Been wearing a pair now for about 16 months . I really like  them . I used to wear Rockies and Wolverines till the quit making them in the states .  :(
Hillbilly

Frank_Pender

I wear Danner with steel toe  8)  Saved my toes lots. ;D
Frank Pender

iain

Work shop its John Bull toe tecters
Sawing its some boot i cant pronounce never mind spell,but their the dogs danglies here for chain saw protection $258, wore em to bed on the first night out of the box (till linda got in :D) there loverly

iain

Percy

Summertime I use Catterpillar steeltoes and in the winter I use
Sorel steeltoed. I found them(Sorels) at Workwear world last spring. Never seen em before. The liners wear out fast if you are always walkin but sure are warm.  I wore the Caterpillars by mistake one day when it was minus mucho and was numb from the knees down :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Engineer

Usedta wear Wolverines, wore out too fast.  

Now I'm on my third pair of Rockys (800 g Thinsulate, waterproof, cordura upper, goretex).  I get maybe a year 'n a half to two years out of a pair of boots, but I wear 'em 360 days a year from sunup to sundown.  I'm really hard on boots, but I can't find a pair that'll hold up.

Next pair will probably be Danners.  Heven't tried them yet.

I still have a pair of original issue army boots that ain't wore out yet.  That's going on 17 years now.

My dad has a pair of Korean-war surplus "Mickey Mouse" boots that he still wears to this day when it's really wet 'n muddy.

Thank You Sponsors!