iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2002 7.3 powerstroke oil leak, need advice please.

Started by fishpharmer, March 29, 2017, 08:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

I am changing the water pump and a few other things on my 7.3 powerstroke diesel.  (Ford F350).    I noticed this small oil leak.  Nothing dripped on the ground.  It appears to be coming from the either the front engine cover corner.  Or its coming from what I think are the freeze plugs (plugs with square inset).
While it apart I'd rather repair the problem.  Any one seen this kind of leak before, know an easy fix?  Any comments or advice are appreciated.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

moosehunter

Imo, those are not leaks. It's wet. Leave it be . You are going to spend a lot of time and money with almost no gain. If it was dripping then yes I would fix it.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Ox

Agreed.  It's only a small, slow seep.  Not dripping, leave it be.  :)
One of the only seeps I might consider fixing is on a main seal but then I would try a seal conditioner first.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

fishpharmer

Moosehunter and ox, I appreciate your input.  After I posted, the thought occured to me that a few cold nights in the teens may have shrunk metal/seals allowing the seep.  Maybe running temps will stop the seep.  Thank you!!

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

coxy

you want to see a drip you should see my 7.3 if its cold it will push about a gal of oil out of the oil cooler the hotter it gets the less it drips after it gets to tep it stops  :D I think every gasket on mine leaks now with almost 500k I think its allowable  like others said if it ant broke don't fix it or you could be like the government and fix it till its broke  :)

fishpharmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 29, 2017, 07:26:24 PM
Do you drive that truck a lot?

Not in several months.  A 3 way ball went thru my front end :'(

fishpharmer

Quote from: coxy on March 29, 2017, 10:27:12 PM
you want to see a drip you should see my 7.3 if its cold it will push about a gal of oil out of the oil cooler the hotter it gets the less it drips after it gets to tep it stops  :D I think every gasket on mine leaks now with almost 500k I think its allowable  like others said if it ant broke don't fix it or you could be like the government and fix it till its broke  :)

Thanks Coxy, I am going with "let it be."

coxy

snowstorm

up this way its good to have a few oil leaks if you dont the oil pan will rust out.

Ox

1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

coxy

mine is all most rust proof with all the jb weld on it  ;D

Gary_C

I've had mine in the shop many times for oil leaks. Chances are your valve cover is rusting thru. Next will be the oil pan. I had to put a new valve cover on and a ton of JB weld on the oil pan cause it would cost so much to replace it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Larry

Quote from: fishpharmer on March 29, 2017, 08:48:09 AM
Or its coming from what I think are the freeze plugs (plugs with square inset).
While it apart I'd rather repair the problem.  Any one seen this kind of leak before, know an easy fix?  Any comments or advice are appreciated.

There are plugs like those in the end of each head.  They plug the high pressure oil galley.  I had one leaking so I bought a new plug, less than $20.  Couldn't get the old one out so took it in to Ford.  They changed the plug and I asked how they got the old one out.  The mechanic said with a breaker bar using a 6' cheater pipe.  Said that is common....sometimes they can't get the plug out and have to pull the head.

Think I got another one leaking now.  Two bread pans on the garage floor take care of it.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ox

Raider Bill

Quote from: Ox on March 31, 2017, 09:59:13 AM
like an old harley marking its territory :D

Old Harley leaking oil were part of the design. When the leak stops it's time to add oil.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

fishpharmer

Thanks for the comments.  The rust is minimal, never seen salty roads and very little time near any ocean. 

Thank You Sponsors!