iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pink yellow pine

Started by Briankinley2004, March 28, 2017, 11:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briankinley2004

Have been sawing a lot of blue pine and old pine logs lately. Some were killed by bugs others by fire. Sometimes usually closer to the heart I may hit some pink spots in the wood and smell a unique odor. Some of the trees were wind shaken and I understand a fungus causes that which may smell. The other was fire killed with solid dense rings with and no shake. But as soon as I hit the pink, in the words of Lynrd Skynrd...oooo that smell. Any ideas on what this is?  The color is pretty neat and even had some small spots stay after going through the kiln

running elk

I don't know what it is but I was milling several pine logs that had a beautiful red color in it as well.

WDH

I get the pink color in the blue pine as well. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andy White

I got some that wasn't blue stained. It sure has some vivid color. I don't think it makes a difference in the structural sense, because there is no kind of degrade.      Andy

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

bags

That looks like the early stage of Brown Fungal Stain. The brown stain acts pretty much the same as blue stain and as far as I know that type of fungus has not really been identified 100% by science.

The first stages of BFS usually shows colors of pink to red. As it develops, it darkens and will turn to shades of light to dark purple. Its final stages show colors of light to dark brown.

The darkening stages from pink to brown can be stopped when the log is milled and the MC goes below 20%.

I cut a lot of bug bit timber and when I come across BFS in its purple stage, I know I have a money maker.

Sawmill Man

As I got into sawmilling to salvage bug killed and lightning struck trees I sometimes saw the pink and always the blue but didnt know why. After about 10 years it finally dawned on me the only time I saw pink was in the lightning struck trees. Never noticed a different smell to it. I do saw the occasional pine that smells like it grew close to the hog pen. One particular place I was sawing lightning kills around the edge of a large hayfield also had a green mixed in with the pink and blue, I have always regretted not saving any as I have never seen anymore and I saw a lot.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Magicman

The pink is pretty and I like to see it, but it is one stage away from rot.  Yes, probably fungus.  The pink goes to brown (softer) and then to punk.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

The general consensus is the blue color is a result of fungus infestation in dead syp. The pink/red is less common and in my experience is the result of a lightening strike on a living tree. Another symptom of lightening is the wood is rather hard for pine, especially the butt cut. Probably case hardening from all the internal heat. Have seen some real nice furniture made from the red streaked lumber..
Saw 'em and use 'em
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

moodnacreek

In eastern white pine that would early stages of red rot a common defect.

Briankinley2004

The pictures Andy posted are what I am seeing but not that much pink just small areas. One of the trees I cut with it I don't know how it died. The bark had already slipped when I got but I didn't see any scarring. The one I did yesterday I know how it died. My son lit a bonfire and killed it. Been dead two years now. WO either the heat of the fire made the pink or it has begun to deteriorate to this point. The wood was solid with some blue. Was a butt cut and the pieces above it were good blue but no pink

whitebread

Not trying to change the direction of this post.  Andy White, are you building a Roubo workbench?
Stihl 460, 290, and 250. Granberg CS mill and Mini-mill. New Holland TL-80 with 820TL loader and grapple.

Andy White

whitebread,
Yes, the bench has been completed. The thread is in general woodworking.
                                                           Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Thank You Sponsors!