SAWMILL COMPARISON, WOODLAND VS. TIMBERY

Started by Jmiller160, March 28, 2017, 04:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmiller160

Im building a log home for my wife and five kids, im looking for a affordable sawmill.. im looking at a woodlands hm126 with 9.5 hp engine and adding 2 track extensions, also looking at a timbery m100 with 14 hp engine with 2 track extensions..was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these mills and any suggestions?

Savannahdan

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I looked at both of those last year before I got the opportunity to buy a Cook's MP-32 which I sold earlier this year for health reasons.  I liked the Woodland mainly for it's 4 post design.  It also offers a nicer log clamp.  If you need a larger motor you'll have to bump up to the HM130, which has some nice features such as stainless coverings on the bunks.  But, I've not personally had experience with either of these.  Sure some folks will jump in shortly.
Dan
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Jmiller160

fishfighter

I have the 126 and I been very happy with it the last two years. Don't know anything about the other.

Jmiller160

does the track seem good and strong?  will it do the diameter log it claims?

ChugiakTinkerer

Welcome to the forum!

An option instead of buying track extensions is to fashion your own rail from 20' angle iron and rectangular tube.  That would be less expensive if you have the tools and the skills to make it happen.  You would also not get the additional log clamp that comes with each extension.

My HM130 is the only mill I've ever used so I can't compare workmanship to other brands.  The HM130 impressed me with how massive it is.  I think the HM126 has similar rails, just lacks the stainless cap on the bunks.
Woodland Mills HM130

ChugiakTinkerer

If you update your profile to indicate where you hail from, folks might be able to point you to local resources for finding and using a sawmill.
Woodland Mills HM130

goose63

Welcome to the Jmiller160 Ican't tell you any thing abought the Timbery but I have the Woodland 126 and it works great.

I have had some mighty big log's on it trim and turn trim and turn got them down to a 19 inch bord. and yes the tracks are strong hope this help's.

If you have any questons send me a pm will be glade to help any way I can     
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

fishfighter

Quote from: Jmiller160 on March 28, 2017, 05:51:50 PM
does the track seem good and strong?  will it do the diameter log it claims?

They are fine. Now the log bunks, I bent two of them. My fault dropping 4K+ logs down on the deck. :D To fix, I just swapped them out with the end bunks.

When you set up the mill, just make sure you do have a Good base that is level.

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the forum jMiller160.  There are a number of Timbery owners on the forum and I'm sure they will chime in soon.  If you do a forum search on "Timbery" you should find all of their relevant posts.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Jmiller160

Thanks for the feed back, I'm really leaning heavy toward the woodlands their customers support seems good, they have answered every message I've sent them and so far timbery hasn't answered any...and I've found far more reviews for the woodlands the timbery doesn't seem to have too munch info

fishfighter

Yes, Woodland does have great support after the sale. If one person can't answer a question, they will get some one else on the phone that can.

Jmiller160

I haven't purchased yet but they have been very quick to answer all my questions...timbery on the other hand ..I've sent a message last week and yesterday and still have yet to receive an answer...I think I read the woodmizer owned timbery which is a plus in my mind..the M100 does look similar to the WM LT10 and I could get it with a 14hp engine..but the woodlands looks well built and the simplistic track looks like it would be easier to replicate...decisions..decisions..lol.  but I can't wait to get a mill...I  have no idea how to use it but I'm excited..

btulloh

If you do get the Woodland Mills, go ahead and get at least one section of track extension.  The flat rate shipping on the mill will cover the extra track as well. You can make your own, but the cost of materials and fab time makes the factory track extensions a pretty good value when there's no shipping cost.

The angle iron they use has the running edge milled down.  Something to consider if you're supplying your own angle iron.  Depends on your situation. 

Good luck with your decision and your sawmilling.  It sounds like you're ready to catch the fever and the only cure is making sawdust.
HM126

Ox

My vote is for Woodland Mills.  I've heard nothing but good about them and they're also a sponsor to this forum!  Click the link on the left.  :)  Besides, if I was trying to sell sawmills you can be sure I'd be answering all questions in a timely fashion.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Jmiller160

I figured the same , ive messaged them on facebook and email, the only thing I haven't done is call them but I don't like talking to a salesman until im ready to buy and nowadays its easier to shoot a message than to wait around on the phone.

MartyParsons

Hello,
   We sell Timbery at our location and customers are happy with them. Not sure what questions you need answered. Be more specific and I will try to answer the questions you may have.
Timbery are made in USA.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Jmiller160

Mainly how wide is the track, what gauge is the steel used to make it?

im not close by enough to anywhere that sells them to go check one out

mattyo5

I upgraded from the hm126+1 extension to 30 ft rails fabbed from angle iron.  3"x4" by 1/4" thick is usually available most any steel place.  My 30 footers were $400ish delivered.  I kinda wish I had the full 40 footers at this point.   sure is nice to be able to put a log wherever. 

woodland does have nice customer support...and I'm doing lots of maintenance and upgrades on my youtube channel.   I don't think there is a better mill for the $$ ...  if I did it again, i'd probably for the the hm130 at this point.  I can drop a bigger motor on my 126 easy...just haven't done it. 
Woodland Mills HM126 Sawmill - modded
Husqvarna 385xp rebuilt and ported
Husqvarna 372xp rebuilt and ported
2x Husqvarna 350 ...rebuilt and ported
Hitachi CS33etdb top handle saw

bags

I went with the HM130 cause of the bigger engine and I'm glad I did. The market around here I cut for is furniture and interior paneling and I need a wide cut. I don't bother much with any timbers under 18".

I extended my track with 3"X4"X1/4" angle by 20'--- so I can mill 30' lumber.

Woodland has great support--- if it were me--- I'd go with the folks that give a *stuff about ya.

Jmiller160

Timberly actually contacted me back today, according to what they're telling me, I can get the m100 with 14 hp engine and 10 foot of extra track he also said it would cut a 22 inch wide board not sure what the woodlands will do , the both cut 26 diameter...still don't know what to do

Briankinley2004

Woodland hm130 will do 30" log 22" wide can't. 14 hp Koehler

mattyo5

just a quick look, the woodland mills hm130 looks much heavier for  only a few extra bucks... 

i'd go with the woodland again
Woodland Mills HM126 Sawmill - modded
Husqvarna 385xp rebuilt and ported
Husqvarna 372xp rebuilt and ported
2x Husqvarna 350 ...rebuilt and ported
Hitachi CS33etdb top handle saw

plantman

I've heard good things about Woodland Mills but here's another one you should take a close look at.
http://www.ezboardwalk.com/home
The first time I saw this mill I skipped over it but after a few people recommended it I looked closer and realized it was a stronger more "no nonsense" mill that will do more for the money.
I'd like to get a swingblade mill for a number of reasons. First they produce dimensional lumber very quickly. Their cut is straight . They save you a fortune on the cost of blade sharpening. You can more easily cut quarter sawn wood. They can handle big logs which I get in my area. The bad part is that they are expensive and the one I'm considering is not easily portable.
The long and short of it is that if I were looking for something under $5k I would go with the EZ Boardwalk because it's built like a tank, it cuts bigger logs, and all the wearable items are stronger and cheaper than the other mills.  I'm not affiliated with them , I just like to share my opinion after spending quite a bit of time looking into these mills.

Jmiller160

Thanks for the advise, I  looked at the ez boardwalk it's a nice mill