iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer's new choice

Started by DDobbs, March 28, 2017, 02:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A lot longer ago than you might think. Here is an example in a book I have, published in 1922.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

longtime lurker

it's odd Jeff but we having exactly that conversation the other day. There's been no real new sawmill concepts since the 1950's with the first circular swing mill designs. Chainsaws in the 1940's I believe.

But before that... circle saws have been going since the industrial revolution I guess. Bands probably about that old too. Sash saws since who knows when in antiquity, but at least the middle ages. Hand saws and axes since forever.

We might be refining the technology and tweaking it... but theres no truly startling innovation at all. Chipper canters I guess but thats really a chipper head in front of a gang saw isn't it?

What we do today and what we do it with hasn't really changed that much in a couple hundred years.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

terrifictimbersllc

Is that guy riding just like MM?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bandmill Bandit

My First response to it is; WHY??

Any experiance I have had with a 4 post type mill has been less than stellar! But I have only been milling for 10 years.

The new wide head mills are very appealing to me though.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Treehack

Jeff,
Didn't realize you were publishing in 1922.  you're older than you look in your photo.   :D
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Jeff

Oh, the power of a comma! :)   (which I since inserted.)   I am a proponent of the Oxford Comma, and yet, so it seems, I can't even grasp the use of the normal comma. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

I guess I was taught to use the Oxford comma. I didn't know that there was another accepted form or that there was such a thing as the oxford comma. The things you learn if you hang around here long enough.  :P
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Larry

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on April 04, 2017, 06:52:37 AM
Like Will Johnson said, "Imitation is the..."  :-X

Since Will was the only one that made a correct guess before the official announcement, I bet he is on that Woodmizer focus group Brucer alluded to.

Well maybe not. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

LeeB

Makes you wonder if he has a spy planted across the street.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Larry

I would never suggest anything like that. :o ;D :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

4x4American

Quote from: uler3161 on March 28, 2017, 09:31:07 PM
So does this [spoiler]new mill[/spoiler] spell the end of the [spoiler]WM monorail design[/spoiler]?

Figured I'd stir the pot a little by being vague.  ;D

No, this guy was the first guy to tell us what it was, Will prolly read this like I did and knew at that point.  Was suprised how many ppl missed this
Boy, back in my day..

uler3161

Quote from: 4x4American on April 04, 2017, 01:37:15 PM
Quote from: uler3161 on March 28, 2017, 09:31:07 PM
So does this [spoiler]new mill[/spoiler] spell the end of the [spoiler]WM monorail design[/spoiler]?

Figured I'd stir the pot a little by being vague.  ;D

No, this guy was the first guy to tell us what it was, Will prolly read this like I did and knew at that point.  Was suprised how many ppl missed this

I found it by looking around their website + Google cache. Everything except the photo that is. But once I saw the photo it really wasn't what I thought. I didn't want to give away the surprise.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

scully

Well if you're a four post mill fan this one is all you . I've seen it for the past month or so but have not run it . I like a bunch of the features on it and the head is nothing short of impressive .  It's always cool to see whats new with WM and this is the coolest thing in a while as far as mills go . For me personally I will absolutely be staying with a single beam mill . I feel that bar none the LT40 LT50 series are the ultimate in portable milling and produce as good if not better lumber than anything else . My reasons are simple really ,it just comes down to user friendlyness in portable milling situations . I can say at first sight my jaw dropped a little , they didn't hold much back on this one .
I bleed orange  .

WoodenHead

Impressive looking mill.   I'd love to have one!

The cantilever mills aren't going away though.  As far as I am concerned, they are still a great option for the "not so perfect" shapes and sizes that we sometimes (or often) have to deal with.

According to the video, there were a lot of requests for a 4-poster mill.  I guess it warranted another Woodmizer mill option.  We'll see how they develop this one.

I believe someone mentioned a Select sawmill in an earlier post.  They have a 4-post design intended for industrial applications.  The WM3500 would be competing in that market.  I find it interesting that Woodmizer kept their cantilever design with that mill.   

dean herring

Seems like sawdust shute should be on the other side so you don't have to walk thru all that dust
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Ga Mtn Man

If they did that the sawdust would be dumped on the loader arms and the on-deck logs.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

That plus everything else also would be wrong.  To saw against the side supports which is "normal", they would have to be moved to the other side so now the clamp is wrong.  Oops, now you are loading against the log clamp instead of the side supports, so lets move the log deck to the other side so that you can now trip over that as you saw.  Gotta also reverse the engine so that it is turning backwards.   :o

On second thought, I would much rather deal with the sawdust, which is what I already do.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Weekend_Sawyer

and on the LT-35 I got to run it was nice to have the sawdust to walk on. I even shoveled some back to the operators area to smooth out that area.  :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on April 10, 2017, 01:25:44 PM
That plus everything else also would be wrong.  To saw against the side supports which is "normal", they would have to be moved to the other side so now the clamp is wrong.  Oops, now you are loading against the log clamp instead of the side supports, so lets move the log deck to the other side so that you can now trip over that as you saw.  Gotta also reverse the engine so that it is turning backwards.   :o

On second thought, I would much rather deal with the sawdust, which is what I already do.   :)
Well, the "easy" solution would be to just have remote controls so you don't even have to walk.  Second best, add a seat on the loader side of the head and put the controls there.  You would be riding above the loader and not getting in the sawdust.  You've got a 4 post mill there so no issue with the weight of the rider (like maybe it would be on a cantilever head?).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

I sit corrected, just watched YouTube video of LX450 with a new design debarker on it.  Shows how much I know. 
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

4x4American

Quote from: John S on April 13, 2017, 11:29:11 AM
I sit corrected, just watched YouTube video of LX450 with a new design debarker on it.  Shows how much I know.

Looks like they put on the dragback steering fingers too.  And an electric motor.  Getting warmer WM!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Had one in Maine,

Some pics.

36 horse gas.

Maybe a thing to hold the guide fingers.

And spent some time with Mr Bouchard  ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

I love it, think it's great.  Thanks for all the close up pics Pete, the WM site leaves more to be desired.  I think with a RA, D55, and conveyor outfeed it would be a great little mill
Boy, back in my day..

Brucer

Thanks, Peter. Those pictures are great!

I see lots of familiar parts along with some new ideas.

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 15, 2017, 10:06:02 PM

... Maybe a thing to hold the guide fingers ...

I think that long pin might be to hold up the dragback fingers (notice the holes in them -- right size and right position.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!