iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building shop with lumber harvested from same location

Started by Crusarius, March 28, 2017, 12:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

So, I am looking to build a shop. But in order to do that I have a large area with a bunch of pines that need to come down. Eventually I will be buying a sawmill but in the meantime I am trying to get some framing ideas.

My thought was to take the trees down, mill them all the 2x6 rough. then reassemble. I just recently started wondering how I should do the posts.

Should I make them 6x6x18' or should I make them 2x6 and laminate them together? The 2x6 will give me  more options and by gluing and nailing them together I should be able to have nice straight posts of any length I need. Also make it a no brainer and not have to think about what size I should be cutting.

I am planning on building with green lumber. If I laminate the posts will they want to mold? Will the glue hold?

The shop plan currently is 40'x58'x18' But since money is a very large concern that is probably going to change.

Don P

There are several papers by Dr Bonhoff on the web on nail laminated post frame building (pole barn) posts. It does help by distributing defects. The amount of nailing is pretty impressive. Thin sections usually do not check and do dry faster. Field gluing is in an uncontrolled environment using non structural glues on poorly machined surfaces. Usually it is assumed to add no strength but it does make the assembly stiffer.

Thank You Sponsors!