iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Determining if wood is still good.

Started by Rocky runner, March 27, 2017, 02:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky runner

I have a black walnut tree that was cut down about 4 years ago now.  Its almost three feet in diameter at the largest part. It has been on the ground.  I tried to get some peices of 2x12 under it but doubt they did much.  I am in Michigan where it's pretty humid.  There is no visible rot yet and very little cracking on the ends.  I would like to have this sawn into lumber to build a dinning room table with.  Is it still good?  It would be a shame if I wasted this but I have had a lot of other things going on and this just got forgotten and pushed aside.   Thanks for the help.

dustyhat

Are the ends sound, ? Open it up. 3 foot through you still should have some wood in there somewhere. have seen walnut lay for a good time and still yield good.

TKehl

Sapwood may be deteriorated over part or all, but the heart should be just fine.  Still well worth cutting.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

bucksnort

you should get some spalted lumber out of that.

Rocky runner

Thanks guys.  Now I just gotta find some room for it to dry someplace, and get it cut up.

Kbeitz

The longer is sits the better it looks...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

terrifictimbersllc

I agree it should be good and for much longer even, if it is on the ground and not drying out.  Because it is walnut which lasts a long time.  Cracks in ends or sides usually don't get in far enough to ruin much of the wood. Rot might get some of the sapwood but that's all.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!