iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie Questions

Started by bucksnort, March 27, 2017, 01:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucksnort

Hi folks, been lurking here for awhile. I just ordered a norwood HD36 manual for a log home build I am starting. This will be my 3rd log home but first time cutting and milling my own trees. I have some decent sized red and white pine that I want to turn into siding for board and batten. What would be the correct method for turning out 6 inch siding.  I'm sorry I don't know much about milling I have a few ideas, but not sure,  should I just do it all Flat sawn and trim the edges to the size I want? Will this method be more prone to warp. Quarter saw, is this method more prone to waste? turning the logs into cants, I don't quite understand this method, what would be the correct pattern to prevent warping and still get the most out of the log productively sawing from a cant?
Thanks for the great forum

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, bucksnort!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, bucksnort.  Sawing through from the hump or horn faces will minimize warp.  Installing the boards with the bark side inward (pith side outward) will minimize cupping.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Also I would saw to a 6" cant wide as tall as each log allows, then take your drop cuts to the deck, rotating as needed to reduce bowing from the stress relief, a few logs and you will pick up on the timing when to flip. Edge the flitches to 6" save the narrower ones for misc. Uses or even bats,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!