iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fat Wood

Started by flyfish57, April 08, 2017, 05:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyfish57

I came upon a rotting pine tree while cleaning up some.  I was going to burn it.  But when I tried to pick it up it weighed a ton.  After further investigation the core wood is all fat wood about 300 pounds of it.  I cut it up into pieces 16" long and started splitting it.  Then I thought it might be better not to split it.
So my question is, what should do with it and how do I store it so that it will last many years to come?
Thank you,
James's

OH logger

I'm a dumb northerner surrounded by hardwood so i'll bite; what is fatwood??  ???
john

coxy

Quote from: OH logger on April 08, 2017, 06:27:16 PM
I'm a dumb northerner surrounded by hardwood so i'll bite; what is fatwood??  ???
:D :D x2

Wallys World

Fatwood is the center of the tree where the pitch is very concentrated. It will almost "explode" when lit. One piece is all you need. As far as storing it keep it in a uncovered box in a dry area. It should last for a long time. Just make sure to let it dry out after splitting it.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

bluthum

If you stack it up outside with no cover it  may rot beyond use in maybe 100 years.

flyfish57

Thanks Wally.  I copied Wikipedia definition but internet was down and could post.
Here's what Wikipedia says.  Fatwood, also known as "fat lighter," "lighter wood," "rich lighter," "pine knot," "lighter knot," "heart pine" or "lighter'd" [sic], is derived from the heartwood of pine trees. This resin-impregnated heartwood becomes hard and rot-resistant.
Fatwood - Wikipedia
Wikipedia › wiki › Fatwood

So should I go ahead and split it all or leave the rest in the 16" logs.  Again thanks for the info.   I've never found any before I've always bought it.   I never knew it could come in such a big piece.
Again thanks,
James

petefrom bearswamp

Years ago Herters sold small bundles of what they called "Georgia fatwood to be used for fire starter.
Their catalog used to be fun to read.
Some of the eastern white pine here has roughly the same characteristic
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

btulloh

Every fire I ever started was started with that stuff.  I'd hate to be without it.  I split it into pieces about the size of a carpenters pencil and use 4 pieces.  I never used it as a big long piece, so maybe that is ok, but keep in mind that it is not good for the chimney.  If it's knotty and doesn't like to split I just mash it up with the log splitter.  I rarely use paper, except maybe a little to act as a fuse.  You can ignite the end of a small piece and then stick it in the middle and off you go. 
HM126

thecfarm

this is what is sold at the hardware store that I work at.

fatwood
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

I've seen that in red pine, white pine and hemlock.  The knots are good for this too.  Anyplace where the sap/resin/pitch settles makes for good firestarter.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

flyfish57

Thank everyone for the replies.  I guess what I found will last a long long time.
Hope everyone has a great week an a Happy Easter.
Take care,
James

Wudman

Leave it in block form until you need it.  A few freshly spit pieces about 6-8 inches long is all you need.  You can light a piece with a match and it will burn by itself.  I have a tree here on the farm that has been down my entire life (50 years at least) and is still as solid as a rock.  It is a shortleaf pine.  Since I just added a wood furnace, I think I'll retrieve it now.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

caveman

I cut noodles out of longleaf or slash lightered wood, store it in a plastic coffee can and keep it on the JD Gator.  It offers the opportunity to start an almost instant, one match fire.  Of course now in our part of the world, it is so dry the dirt seems flammable.
Caveman

florida

I've got rounds of lighter pine all over the place. Sad thing is I don't have a fireplace anymore! Still, splitting out lighter sticks is peaceful work. Very satisfying.
But, do not burn the logs in your fireplace or stove. It will creosote your chimney like you painted it on and will burn so hot you'll have a chimney fire.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Thank You Sponsors!