iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK 2000 two plane clamp mod

Started by Larry, March 26, 2017, 08:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

From the very first day I picked up my mill I knew I would modify the two plane clamp to have a longer ram.  My objection was the factory clamp only has 6" of up.  A 12" ram would let me stand up flitches for edging, position the log easier, and allow me to lift timbers to spin when cutting tendons on the mill. 

I did this mod some 6 years ago and wanted to make sure it worked well before posting it on the forum.  It has worked perfect and it slipped my mind about posting until a recent thread by redbeard reminded me.

Here is the finished clamp.

New parts cut with the ram.  The side plates were cut out of 1/2" X 4" stock.  The ram had to be 3/4" X 2" but I didn't have any 3/4" stock so just doubled some 3/8" X 2".

New parts welded on the oem backing plate with the old shorty parts cut off.

While I was welding I added some dots to the top of the ram for traction when lifting and moving lumber to the side.  I sometimes would split a little piece off a cant as the clamp wedge was pretty sharp.  I ground off the sharp edge.

The mod was complete at this point but I wasn't for sure of how it would work.  It also extends lower in the frame so I didn't know if it would cause a problem when towing....it hasn't but I suppose it could in rough country.  There was one issue that I didn't know how to fix.  The white plastic plates are a weak spot.  I had cracked the plastic two weeks after I got the mill with the stock clamp so I knew with the extra stress of the longer ram I was on borrowed time.   Eventually the plastic fell out so I had to do something at this point.

I welded a plate to shield the plastic on one end.  On reflection this plate does little if anything and is not needed.  The real answer was to install little pieces of plastic that can shift without cracking.  I think the factory plastic is Delrin which is pretty good stuff.  My replacements were what I had on hand, possibly HDPE.  I also increased the size of the through bolts one size which may help.  Circled is a bushing I added to the clamp stop.

This is by far the best mod I've made on my mill and really saves on labor.  I've helped a couple others make this mod and have heard nothing but good about it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DPatton

That is a great mod Larry. I want one for my 1600!!! Well done.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Delawhere Jack

Could you make one of those for an old orange mill?  ;)
Nice work as usual.

york

Larry,your work is very good,thanks for the update...
Albert

Peter Drouin

You're going to have to  keep ATF on the plastic part for it to last.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Clover

Good job Larry. Do you have this clamp along with a chain roller? I have a claw log turner that works great but sometimes need that extra hand. I was going to go with a chain turner to help out. Lately I haven't been using my cant clamps just the claw and lowering it at the last couple cuts. I could turn one or both of the cant clamps into a two plane clamp. It would be less work and downtime as all I really need to add is the hydraulic cylinder and lengthen the clamp bar. Things that make you go hmmmm!
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Larry

I do have a chain turner that I use with the clamp when edging.

I mostly saw by myself.  Usual procedure for edging is to lift the flitches up with my modified loader arms.  The flitches slide onto the mill deck at least part way.  I lift the flitches about 45 degrees with the chain turner than use the clamp to stand them up the rest of the way against a cant.   
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Clover

I'm starting to lean toward the two plane clamp now. I already have the 12" cylinder and hydraulic motor all I need to do is redo one clamp. You can see them in this picture. I don't use the last log leveller or clamp and can use them to make my two plane.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Thank You Sponsors!