iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chevy 350 using water

Started by Don P, March 26, 2017, 03:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

That's a fact  :)
I looked at my old long block when I was over there in the man cave, we'll rebuild that for one of us when we get the round tuits. Along the intake side of the heads it goes water, int,int, ex, int,int, water. The water must have been going from water to intake, through the combustion chamber and out the tailpipe. There must have been enough exhaust leaking to bubble into the water jacket, that is still a little puzzling but I'm hopeful that is what it was. There is no smell of antifreeze in the exhaust now. Just need to keep an eye on things for a bit. Thanks for everyone's help!

coxy

if that fixed it I would buy a lotto ticket  :D  if that was mine I would be putting heads or gaskets in it that's my luck    hope it works for ya

Ox

This is an iron block and iron head engine, right?  I'm betting if it was aluminum heads it wouldn't have made it easy on you.  I hate aluminum heads on an iron block...

coxy - if this happened to yours and it was an old Ford 300-6 you'd be just fine!   ;)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Don P

Yup, it's all iron. I'm still crossing my fingers till it does sustained hard work in hot weather. I cracked the head on a 360 Dodge coming up the mountain in VA loaded up after a job, didn't know it till it layed down in WI. We had just gotten to that job, met the homeowner and the guy at the building supply, that was it. I was setting up camp and Michelle went in to town for groceries. It died on her way back and the guy from the building supply passed by, recognized her and brought her back  8) He earned my business  ;D

I've been mowing this morning. The mower has a Kohler Courage 20 horse one lunger. I've realized the courage part is you need to have courage to sit behind that thing and hope you don't end up with parts in your lap. I'm glad it is all aluminum, it'll bring more towards a Briggs  :D

sandsawmill14

on those 350s the water pump will cause some air bubbles in the radiator on SOME systems but not all  :)
i have never cracked the head on a 350 burned the paint off of one it got so hot and got another one hot enough that the rings lost tension and had no compression  :( and spun a few rod bearings over the years  :-[ but they were not heat related ;D  more related to age ( of the kid not the engine) ::)  we even ripped the motor mounts out of the block on one in a wreck on the dirt track one night :o but i have never busted a IRON head on a sb chevy  :) but i have warped the crap out of the aluminum heads so i swore off of them years ago :)   we have 3 350s that are run everyday and 2 that run but dont get used alot  85 chevy 3500  84 chevy 1500 4x4 and a 76 1500 4x4 are the one that we use daily  :) 
if your truck gives any more trouble just change the head gaskets and be done with it  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

scsmith42

Don, you will probably be ok. 

As an engine gets hot the metal expands from the heat and compresses the gaskets.  That's why you need to retorque certain gaskets after the motor has gone through a couple of heat cycles.

It sounds like when yours overheated it compressed the gaskets even more.  Coupled with them being a new set and not yet retorqued, this is most likely the cause of your problem.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!