The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Chevy 350 using water  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Chevy 350 using water
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 10:20:18 am »
Good point.  Lots of the older manuals suggest a re-torque of all fasteners after a certain amount of miles, time, or heat/cool cycles. 

These are all things I've known at one point or other in the past.  I'm finding it more and more frustrating that I can't seem to remember them to bring them into viable conversation when the time and situation is right.  >:(  That's why this forum is great - a large collection of folks with lots of collective brain power.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 10:46:28 am »
I think Sawmill Man nailed it. I tightened the accessible bolts and have been nursing it. I just dug down and got to them all, they were loose. The bubbles seem to be gone and it sounds better. Heading out across the county to pick up a load of white oak and lean on her a little... cross your fingers  ;D.

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 11:02:22 am »
If they were loose I'll bet you fixed it just now.  Good luck all the same!
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 02:13:08 pm »
 8), I think that was it. She buried the speedo with good power in good time, ran up the mountain and kept her cool then rumbled home with a good load on. Stopped for gas and probably sold the wood, they were on a bike but we traded numbers. All in all looking like a fine day. I think I can take it down to Carolina next weekend to slab up a huge coffeetree.

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 03:23:50 pm »
That's great news - I'm happy for you.  What a great feeling relief is, huh?

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 03:43:54 pm »
That's a fact  :)
I looked at my old long block when I was over there in the man cave, we'll rebuild that for one of us when we get the round tuits. Along the intake side of the heads it goes water, int,int, ex, int,int, water. The water must have been going from water to intake, through the combustion chamber and out the tailpipe. There must have been enough exhaust leaking to bubble into the water jacket, that is still a little puzzling but I'm hopeful that is what it was. There is no smell of antifreeze in the exhaust now. Just need to keep an eye on things for a bit. Thanks for everyone's help!

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 04:12:28 pm »
if that fixed it I would buy a lotto ticket  :D  if that was mine I would be putting heads or gaskets in it that's my luck    hope it works for ya

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 10:16:20 am »
This is an iron block and iron head engine, right?  I'm betting if it was aluminum heads it wouldn't have made it easy on you.  I hate aluminum heads on an iron block...

coxy - if this happened to yours and it was an old Ford 300-6 you'd be just fine!   ;)

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 11:50:00 am »
Yup, it's all iron. I'm still crossing my fingers till it does sustained hard work in hot weather. I cracked the head on a 360 Dodge coming up the mountain in VA loaded up after a job, didn't know it till it layed down in WI. We had just gotten to that job, met the homeowner and the guy at the building supply, that was it. I was setting up camp and Michelle went in to town for groceries. It died on her way back and the guy from the building supply passed by, recognized her and brought her back  8) He earned my business  ;D

I've been mowing this morning. The mower has a Kohler Courage 20 horse one lunger. I've realized the courage part is you need to have courage to sit behind that thing and hope you don't end up with parts in your lap. I'm glad it is all aluminum, it'll bring more towards a Briggs  :D

Offline sandsawmill14

• Senior Member x2
  • love my job (most days)
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2017, 12:27:21 pm »
on those 350s the water pump will cause some air bubbles in the radiator on SOME systems but not all  :)
i have never cracked the head on a 350 burned the paint off of one it got so hot and got another one hot enough that the rings lost tension and had no compression  :( and spun a few rod bearings over the years  :-[ but they were not heat related ;D  more related to age ( of the kid not the engine) ::)  we even ripped the motor mounts out of the block on one in a wreck on the dirt track one night :o but i have never busted a IRON head on a sb chevy  :) but i have warped the crap out of the aluminum heads so i swore off of them years ago :)   we have 3 350s that are run everyday and 2 that run but dont get used alot  85 chevy 3500  84 chevy 1500 4x4 and a 76 1500 4x4 are the one that we use daily  :) 
if your truck gives any more trouble just change the head gaskets and be done with it  :)
hudson 228, timberking b20, s&w 125 ,lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 05:28:58 pm »
Don, you will probably be ok. 

As an engine gets hot the metal expands from the heat and compresses the gaskets.  That's why you need to retorque certain gaskets after the motor has gone through a couple of heat cycles.

It sounds like when yours overheated it compressed the gaskets even more.  Coupled with them being a new set and not yet retorqued, this is most likely the cause of your problem.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.