Log splitter pump idea/suggestions

Started by etroup10, March 26, 2017, 03:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etroup10

I salvaged some parts from an old prentice loader from work. I was able to get the second arm section(bushings at the pivot were wore out and it was wore into the main steel) and the cylinder for that loader. I had an Amish machine shop put a plate on the cylder and added a wedge. The cylinder is 6" bore and I think a 3" rod. Now I need to add a power unit. I have a mini log loader that I have a 16gpm pump on.i already have quick attaches on it. I don't think that power unit will be enough for the splitter. So I guess the main question I have is if I could add a second hyd pump(running off the same reservoir) to speed up the splitter. Not sure if you can run two pumps together or if one pump would push fluid back through the other. Also would a check valve prevent this?? If that doesn't work I guess my only option is to build a bigger hyd unit with a two stage pump. Any input would be great.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Gearbox

If it will run a loader it will work on a splitter . It's not going to be fast . With that big a ram you are going to need 20 + GPM . For about a grand you can get a HF 22 HP and a 22 GPM pump from Surplus Center . Or go on the hunt for a power unit and big single stage pump . 2 pumps is not going to work well . Rules 1.5 HP per gal. of  flow on single stage pump . 1 gal. of tank for each gal. of pump .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time