iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bad cut

Started by Gregory 53, March 26, 2017, 01:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory 53

I have a 40cc pouland pro with a 18" bar and chain, when I start my cut it is straight for just over half of the cut then it starts to pull to one side what could be the cause of this and how would I correct it?

Barebuttminer

Most likely the cutters are not sharpened evenly. One side has been filed more than the other.
Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deer 450C Dozer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Stihl 009

DelawhereJoe

A worn bar can do it too, also how you hold your hand on the front bar will do if the saw is held off ballance your cut can go astray.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Woodcutter_Mo

Like was said, uneven sharpening, worn out bar groove or also wrong chain gauge (example: .050 chain on a .058 bar)
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Gearbox

Like so many of us we can file or sharpen a chain till it is about 1/2 wore out then they start to pull . I take mine off and run it on the chain grinder to even up the teeth then I'm good till it is wore out . For 2 or 3 dollars have it sharpened and you will be good till it get's bad again or you try to saw a rock .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

thecfarm

Does not make much sense but works for me. The few times when that happens to me,I sharpen the chain with the motor on the left side and that will make it cut straight again. I know I can sharpen one side better than the other.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ButchC

Shortest route to figuring out your problem is to buy a new chain and if it still cuts crooked then have your bar ground or buy a new one. If it cuts straight with the new chain then obviously you have sharpening issues to fix.  My experience is that the  bar is at fault as much as the chains when this happens.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

CTYank

IME a common cause of this condition is continuing to force a chain that's been dulled on one side, like from rocking it. Cutters on that side then really rub on the guide rail on that side. Don't have to wear things much to make the saw a circle cutter. It's easy to true the bar rails with a bench grinder.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Stoneyacrefarm

I agree with the previous answers.
Usually when this happens to me it is a worn bar.
I try to get as much out of them as I can.
If it doesn't get flipped regularly and pinched often you will get this walking during the cut.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Thank You Sponsors!