iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brush grubber

Started by bandmiller2, March 26, 2017, 07:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Have any of you fellas used a brush grubber around your diggens to remove pesky brush. I'am talking about the scissor type that is like a pallet puller and clamps on the stem. I have a brush hog but larger brush leaves a stump that is hard on tractor tires. Thanks. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

york

Frank,i use a chocked with the pe-wag on one end-Heavy duty rated for 28,000#
Albert

Savannahdan

I have the BG-08 model and it works okay on shallow rooted trees.  It's well built and has some weight to it and requires you to pull it apart so that you can use the jaws on a tree.  There are a number of times I just grab the short chain and use it.  I've used it with a 13k winch and just with a chain.  The spikey jaws spin in their socket which helps to keep them on the tree.  I've also used my tractor/farm jack to pull trees.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Brad_bb

Are you talking about a skid steer attachment?  I'm looking at buying this one:

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

LAZERDAN

NO  he's talkin about the ones that look like a cable or pallet puller with the chain on it.  The kind the coyote would use on the roadrunner, scissors action with the boxing glove on the end !     Lazerdan

barbender

I like that one, Brad, because it can pull up brush but can also dig under stumps an roots. It looks like a beast!
Too many irons in the fire

bandmiller2

The whole story guys, I work part time at a local 600 acre abbey/farm. There are 40 sisters living at the abbey. Some years ago they had a company remove trees so they could have an impressive view, well their growing back. Some I can brush hog other sections too rough and rocky. We have an almost new 55hp FWD John Deere tractor and loader. With the brush grubber and long chain I plan on removing the offending brush before they get too big. Frank C.

thecfarm

sounds like what I am trying to do here with a grown up pasture,rocky and rough.  :)  But I am only doing about 2-3 acres. Would like to do more,but too rocky and rough.  ;D One area I really have to hit hard this summer. But it's kinda wet,so only have a little time to get on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BigZ La

There are some chemicals that you can spray the trunk of the brush and will kill the plant. It's expensive but would kill the whole plant and you wouldn't have to worry about it coming back for years. Check with your local county agent and he can help.

Savannahdan

Another method is a fulcrum type of tool like an Extractigator.  Is the new growth coming from the roots of the cut trees?  Most of these tools won't work very good with deep rooted trees.  In those cases you'll have to explore chemical methods or digging them out (a tool like Brad_bb posted would be nice).  The brushgrubber is a fine tool but it sounds as if you have a lot to remove.  You're forearms will look like Popeyes if you have to pull the brushgrubber jaws apart all day long.  Funny, in that I bought mine to help with brush removal at a monastery where a group of sisters live.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

thecfarm

I forgot to add,I think I know what you mean. You would still have to put it around the bushes by hand? I just wrap a chain around the bushes. I take at least 2 wraps,3 really works better,and get as low as I can. I have a hook on the loader and then I keep the bucket low and pull the bushes out. Sometimes I peel the bark off. Than they have to be cut off. Nothing to grip onto than. I do use a logging chain,with a chocker hook on it too. Another idea,if those are suckers growing off from a stump,a spade works good too when they are small,small meaning not much taller than a foot,6 inches is easier. After a few years the stump will stop growing suckers and die.This will be an ongoing job. Something has to and will grow there.If no way to mow it,the bushes will keep on coming back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Any sort of herbicide or poison is verboten at the abbey, lucky to have a diesel tank. Snow is almost gone I will survey the side hill if I recall most are not sprouts from stumps but free growing stems. Maybe an Extractigator for the small stuff and Deere and grubber for the larger. Poison ivy is another problem, what I need is a massive goat heard to strip stuff like locust. Frank C.

Kbeitz

Here on our Christmas tree farm we painted the stumps of cleared fields
With a herbicide mixed with old motor oil. We carried a bucket with a long
handled paint brush. This would only kill what we painted.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!