South Florida Tree Identification

Started by Williamsb7, March 25, 2017, 02:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Williamsb7

I live in south Florida and I've been trying to figure out what kid of tree this is. It has a very smooth green bark that peels. Not sure how often it peels but it is currently peeling n

ow.

WDH

I believe that it is a crepe myrtle. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That is like some of the green slick barked trees that we saw in Hawaii. They were completely green after the old bark peeled off.   Kinda forks like they did too.

How about some close ups of the leaves.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Williamsb7, show the leaves,  but on first look I think it may be Gumbo Limbo or Bursera simarubra.

The pictures I have posted are of Gumbo Limbo.  They have compound leaves.  The crape myrtle has distinctive pairs of leaves but it is not compound or oppositely arranged.  On the crape myrtle, you will see two leaves that are almost opposite but not quite and then there will be a space and two more leaves.
Caveman

caveman

MM, the picture you posted looks a lot like eucalyptus bark from my easy chair.
Caveman

nativewolf

Quote from: caveman on March 25, 2017, 09:57:40 PM
MM, the picture you posted looks a lot like eucalyptus bark from my easy chair.
Yep, Euc
Liking Walnut

Magicman

Yes, I was told that it was Eucalyptus.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on March 25, 2017, 10:13:56 PM
Yes, I was told that it was Eucalyptus.

Eucalyptus deglupta or Rainbow Gum to be exact.

But I don't know what the original tree is,  ???
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Williamsb7

Here is a picture of the leaves. The tree mostly resembles the Rainbow Gum just without the colorful bark.

[attachment deleted by admin]

PHOTOS MUST BE IN JPG FORMAT. PLEASE DO NOT USE DOCUMENT UPLOADS TO POST PHOTOS.