iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Coupler Problems

Started by submarinesailor, March 23, 2017, 01:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Recently I purchased a grapple http://www.greens-machine.com/catalog/i4.html to install on my year old Mahindra 3550 tractor.  In order to get hydraulic power to the grapple, I set down and made up a list of all the hose, connectors, and etc. that I would need.  Found some outstanding prices a Discount Hydraulic Hose (https://www.discounthydraulichose.com).  For the most part I was very happy with their response and quality of the hoses they made for me.

That was until I actually tried to get flow thru the hoses and quick disconnect couplers.  When we first got all the lines threaded from the power beyond on the back and up to the loader arms, things looked really good.  Got the short hoses connected to the cylinder, things looked even better.  So after reviewing to make sure we had it all run correctly, we installed the quick disconnects that would allow me to disconnect the bucket from the tractor without removing the longer hoses to the back of the tractor.

After the disconnect installation, let the operational testing begin.  Wrong answer.  Nothing moved!!!!!!!!!!!!  So after checking MANY things, we found that the quick disconnects would only allow flow in ONE DIRECTION!  In all my years of working hydraulics and air, I have never seen a quick disconnect that was one way.  Nothing on their website said anything about one way, so I called them.  They are stating they should be  bi-direction.  Also I'm not happy with the thread on the male side - can't get them to stop leaking.  Females thread on just fine and don't leak..  Looks like it never received a finishing tap.  The threads look very rough.

So the question is: have any of you ever run into uni-directional quick disconnects?  Or have they always been bi-directional like I have always seen/used?

Remle

I've never heard of a uni-directional quick disconnect.
Your tractor should be an open center system, correct ?
I'm thinking along the lines that the additional valve you added may be for a closed center system.
Some valves could be made to operate either close or open by changing a plug on the valve.
I'd loosen the hoses at the valve and see if they leak while operating the lever to be sure, if they do not leak then the problem is in the valve.

snowstorm

You don't say anything about adding a control valve. You can take oil from the power beyond. From there it must go to the valve. As for the fittings leaking the tractor may have bspp not us pipe or jic. Bspp will thread into pipe but it will leak. There is one half a degree different thread pitich.

Kbeitz

The quick disconnect couplers will act like uni-directional couplers if
when plugged in the little button is not pushed in. The hydraulic pressure
is strong enough to push the button in against the spring but it can't push
it the other way. so maybe ether your male or your female coupler is
miss-matched or things aren't plugging in all the way to push the button.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jcbrotz

Just a thought since it bit me on my John Deere round bailer when I hooked it to the Furd, make sure you have universal fittings not John Deere ones, as they sometimes don't allow flow the nipple to engage is a small teat not round ball like and doesn't always make contact.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

sandhills

Had the same switching IH to JD once, had to use the right adapters or they wouldn't make contact enough.

Thank You Sponsors!