iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade tracking; Woodmizer LT40HD

Started by safdchief2, March 23, 2017, 01:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

safdchief2

I'm having an issue with blade tracking on the drive side. Blade keeps wanting to go inward. I've tried a bunch of things so far. WM manual says there can be an adjustment to the U-bolts, but for the life of me, I cannot seem to get a wrench on the nuts or jam nuts. Any suggestions??

Don
Deer Lake Sawmilling
1995 WM LT40HD
WM 1995 LT40HD OnanG24 - Farmall M - Selfmade 32" log arch - 2011 FLHTCU FFSE

rl

I know what you mean  I got it with out stripping out side of nut off .. next time I will heat and make a specialty wrench....maybe wood mizer sell's one   typical case of engineering did not take in to fact working on it....happens real often with all machinery,vehicles ,equipment
rl

MartyParsons

Hello,
  You want the wheel above the sawdust chute to move out to track the blade out. A short 3/4" wrench will work. It does not take a few min to adjust the early mills tracking on the drive side. Lots of changes with the newer WM equipment.
If you blade comes off I would make sure you have check other areas before adjusting the tracking.
Wheel belts? The belts should be flat not belts from the local parts store because they are round on top.

Drive bearing ok very little play with out the brake, drive belt or the band placing tension on the assembly. You can wedge a hammer handle on the engagement lever or have a helper release the brake tension but not engage the drive belt. Spin the wheel, hear a bearing noise? Grab the wheel at 3 and 9 does the wheel shake? Is there oil leaking out of the bearing seals?
When the band is on do you have the proper tension on the blade?

Everything checks out? Then loosen the nuts on the inside toward the inside cover and tighten the ones that are difficult to get to. If you have the wheel loose you can turn the pulley to get between the spokes of the wheel.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

safdchief2

Thanks for the reply Marty.
Belts have less than 100 hrs and look OK.
I'll have to check for wobble although I used a caliper to measure the 9 o'clock and 3 o' clock distance to the back "wall" of the drive side. The 3 o'clock was smaller than the 9 o'clock.
I had refilled the drive side bearing but may have overfilled a bit as there was ATF leaking into the drive side wheel housing.

Thanks again
Don
Deer Lake sawmilling
WM 1995 LT40HD OnanG24 - Farmall M - Selfmade 32" log arch - 2011 FLHTCU FFSE

pineywoods

You need what's called a "crow foot" wrench to get at those nuts. It's a short )like 2 1/2 inch long open end wrench with a square hole in the handle to take a 1/2 inch socket extension. They are available from most tool manufacturers, very common in aircraft maintenance shops. I made mine from a cut off open end wrench with a busted half inch drive socket welded to the end...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!