iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just looken

Started by Farm29, March 23, 2017, 08:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farm29

Well heading to go look at a mill today have to send my borrowed mill back to her owner soon so I'm ready to find one to call my own found a 2009 lt40 manual with log deck package debarker 27 hp koholer with 148 hrs on it the guy is asking $12500.00. What do u all think
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Farm29

Correction no log deck package I'm not sure what that added but found out it does not have that
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

78NHTFY

That's what I pd for my LT40 manual 10 yrs ago--it had 75 hrs with a Kohler Command Pro 25 HP and was 2 yrs old.  Don't think you can go wrong.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Farm29

To add to my ? There's a guy down the road with a 96 lt40 HD with 24 hp onan with 450 hrs for sale and I think he would sell for $15000 which way would u all go newer less hours less money no HD or older a few more hours more money but it has HD ?
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

WV Sawmiller

If they are both in good shape I'd definitely go for the hydraulics. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ladylake

No such thing as just looking, I'd go with the newer one with the Kohler  just for the engine and add hydraulics with the extra money.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Farm29

I was wondering about adding hyd I like the newer mill and have been doing a lot of reading on adding hyd to a manual mill defiantly sounds do able except it sounds like the log clamp can be a tricky to build with out cutting on the frame seems like a good price on the 09 wood mizer only offers log loading arms for it the rest would have to be custom
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Remle

HD all the way, 450 hrs on an Onan is nothing. You would not be able to upgrade the manual for the extra $2500.. Keep the engine service up and you should be good to go for a long time, I have over 2500 hrs on my 1994. I suspect that the one you were using was a manual, if it was not you would not be asking, once you go HD you will never go back to a manual.. .

Kbeitz

Most Onan's will run 1500 hr's before needing much of anything.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Weigh your options carefully because it could be that neither fits your particular sawing needs.  A '96 model is the old style frame and upgrading is iffy.  It would not have the two-plane log clamp. 

Have you talked with WM to determine exactly what it would entail to add hydraulics to the '09.  I would also be interested in knowing what WM's "orange book" value is on both.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

I'm with Remle and Kbeitz, 450 hours on the Onan P224 and it's just getting broken in. The one on my 1995 LT40 has over 4,000 hours on it. Regular oil change every 50 hours and check the valve lash every 500 hours.

You won't regret paying a little more for the hydraulics.

Farm29

The one I was using was a 1990 hd so that was y it was important to be able to go hyd with the 2009 but woodmizer only offers a hyd log loader on that year.   Up grades are rough on the pre 97 according to wm I would not be able to do the two plane lg clamp but could put a de barker on it just would require more drilling and wiring then after 97 models wm orange book was $13500-15000 on the 2009 and $15000-17000 on the 96 if I knew I could easily add all hyd options on the 09 it would be hard to pass up but doesn't sound to possible I'm leaning toward the 96
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Farm29

Wow!!  Thanks for the link PC I new it had to be on here some were but hadn't found it u just made my disision harder iv been thinking the whole time it would be fun to build hyd on the newer mill just worried bout cutting or welding on the frame but there's proof there is no need for that 🤔 
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Darrel

I don't think I'd be in any kind of a hurry. I think I'd just sit tight till a newer mill with hydraulics came along at a price you can live with. It took me a year to find what I wanted.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Brucer

A little more information for your consideration.

In 2004 I ran someone else's '96 hydraulic LT40 for him while he was building his house. The engine had 5000 hours on it and was still going strong. He didn't maintain the machine very well, but he faithfully changed the engine oil exactly by the book (every 100 hours). About a year later the engine finally died, with around 5500 hours.

The frame on that particular '96 was the newer style frame, with heavier tubing and the swinging bedrails supported on the outboard side. In fact, it had stainless steel strips on the frame where the bedrail supports ran (my 2006 LT40 hydraulic doesn't have those >:(). This doesn't fit with Magicman's observation, so I wonder if they changed the frame design sometime in the '96 model year.

For the manual mill, the log deck package includes loading ramps, a two-speed winch for loading the logs, and a claw turner which can be operated by the same winch (just shift the cable). I had the package on my 2005 LT40 manual and for me it was indispensable.

The one thing on the manual mill that I wasn't happy with was the way the clamping system worked. The system was effective enough, but I had to walk around to the loading side of the mill every time I wanted to clamp and unclamp a log. The toeboards and side stops could be operated from the operators side of the mill -- just a short walk away.

I was under the impression that Wood-Mizer started using the same frame for all their bigger models (LT28 and up). If that's the case, the manual mill might have the bump-out for the hydraulic clamp. That's something I'd check before making a decision.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Farm29

Brucer the 96 does have the swinging outer bed rails and the stainless steel toppers according to WM the pre 97 mills are not as acceptable to upgrades WM said that the 09 will not accept any WM brand hyd upgrades except for the log loader but pinewood shows it is very possible to add hyv to the manual in the link PC posted.  IDK shiney paint needs Hyde upgrades or dull paint and she's ready to roll ???
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Magicman

There are two completely different "swinging outer bed rails".  The new style that is supported by the frame, and the old style that has a brace underneath and is supported by the pivot pin. 

I am not understanding why a 2009 year model will not accept any hydraulics.  Maybe so, but I do not understand it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Farm29

I also don't understand y such a new mill isn't able to have bolt on hyd add one through WM but iv called them twice and both times they said the only hyd upgrade is the log loader
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Chuck White

Quote from: Farm29 on March 23, 2017, 02:10:17 PM
To add to my ? There's a guy down the road with a 96 lt40 HD with 24 hp onan with 450 hrs for sale and I think he would sell for $15000 which way would u all go newer less hours less money no HD or older a few more hours more money but it has HD ? 

That's the same as I paid for my 1995 LT40HDG24, back in 2008!

If it's in decent shape, I'd be all over it!

As for adding the 2-plane clamp, I believe that the frame will have to be cut and modified to extend a portion of the frame (that you'll have to add) outward.  Myself, I wouldn't want to cut the frame of my mill, but several of these mods have been done by people here on the Forestry Forum.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

MM,
You make it sound like the old style swing out bed rail is better but it aint so. The new ones are much better!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Pjames

Im new , been following you guy awhile so here goes my two cents worth I  purchased a 96 lt40hd w/ p224 Onan about two years ago it had 200 hrs on it when purchased around 650 hrs now I could not be more  satisfied I gave $15,000 for it and a JL 501 Farmi skidding winch and do not think you can go wrong mine did have the debarker and set works did not see these options in your description the  previous owner had passed away and his son did not have any interest in sawmilling ,  my personal opinion I would jump all over that 96.

Magicman

That wasn't my intention nor my opinion Paul.  The new style after mid '97 is much stronger than the brace/pivot pin unit.

Farm29

The 96 does not have debarker or set works but it's nice to know that they can be added the mill I believe has been very well taken care of and other then being towed to the owners property hasn't seen the road but maybe a few times he has the cover for engine and controls so any time it was left out it was covered to add I'm pretty sure he also has a sharpener and setter.  I don't have planes to cut and put on a different clamp I feel the one one it will be very effective for me sense I'm just starting out maybe in the future some time thanks foe everyone's 2 cents
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Magicman

Personally I would be very reluctant to not buy a sawmill without any kind of setworks and hydraulics.  Sure, stuff can be added, but I would be patient and wait until the right sawmill comes along.

Notice that I said personally and the above statement is not to try to be persuasive in any manner.  Your decision will be based on your particular circumstances and decisions. 

Thank You Sponsors!