iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking Delivery

Started by Jeff, March 23, 2017, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

No it's not. It had been bypassed many years ago.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

Good then, less work for you. And you will have heat this winter,  8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Just the light switch, dash lights, and lastly the ignition switch left to wire.

Jeff

No photographic proof, but I test drove the truck to the other side of the lake to get gas, and most importantly, back home too! It ran cool. Never over 160. It does need a tune up though, but didn't run to awfully bad on the 40 year old tune up it had last!  I was able to drive it because the state sent back my paperwork for my 46 plate.

Magicman

Now that is good news to write about....well in fact you did.  Happy times ahead.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

There,cooling problem solved.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

8)

I really cannot tell you how much Cowboy Bob and I have enjoyed living this restoration, vicariously.   move_it
Say when

coxy

jeff are you doing the radiator cleaning your self if so we always used a straight metal stick like an oil dip stick or a tranny dip stick if it fit in the core hole maybe different than a big truck radiator but I'm shur you get what I'm saying  :)

Jeff

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Real gauges instead of idiot lights...  ;)

Roxie

That is just so awesome!
Say when

paul case

MR Truck is coming along real nice. Top notch work there Boss.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

grouch

That interior is far too clean and now you've ruined M.R. Truck's chances at being a Ninja Stealth Log Truck. Everybody knows you have to use red lights so you don't ruin night vision.

Seriously, it's looking good. I don't see any cracks or wrinkles in those numbers. That's amazing for its age.

Is the speedometer needle missing? When the one on my '80 Dodge truck melted, I made one out of some thin aluminum and put a crease down the middle to keep the flimsy stuff rigid. Might be hillbilly, but the sucker still works.
Find something to do that interests you.

Jeff

Quote from: grouch on August 22, 2017, 10:20:05 AM

Is the speedometer needle missing? When the one on my '80 Dodge truck melted, I made one out of some thin aluminum and put a crease down the middle to keep the flimsy stuff rigid. Might be hillbilly, but the sucker still works.

It is. haven't got to that yet.   :)

Jeff

Next challenge. Rebuilding the speedometer gauge. Actually, the hard part was getting it out. I ain't t no contortionist!

grouch

If that's your forehead near the glare of the flash, I don't know how you got to that upper fastener (nut on a stud?) holding the speedometer in.

It's still amazing how little rust there is. Things around here can rust that much in a week of condensation.

Time to 'fess up; you dug that truck out of a glacier somewhere, or a sand dune in Death Valley.

Jeff

Hah! That must be my forehead. I was taking the photo to figure out how the thing was held in there. I'm telling ya, it was a beast getting it out. Thank goodness for bluecreeper, it should go together easier.  Bonus of having that big open hole, I could get to the gas gauge. That had been giving me fits trying to make it work. Today, it now works!  I have to wait for a small plastic disc to arrive to put in my speedometer.  It's the center disc that had a metal rim with attached pointer. The early plastics were prone to shrinkage over time, and that's what happened. It shrunk and the pointer ring fell off.

grouch

Excellent! It always bugs me to have to guesstimate the fuel level in a vehicle. One less worry when you have a working gas gauge.

The only instrument panel I've worked on that looks to be as cramped to get to as your truck is on my '68 Amazon. Nothing comes out from the front. My other Volvos and even my '80 truck have panels and subassemblies that come out to allow access to the back. The '49 Olds has a dash similar to your truck, but you can remove the seat and just lay down in the floorboard and see almost everything back there.

The best one I've worked on was my wife's '88 VW Fox. It needed a heater core and I dreaded working on it. The Bentley service manual had 1 paragraph describing replacement, but the second step referenced another part of the manual for removing the instrument cluster and panel. It meant removing the entire dash.

She was going to pick up the new one and would be gone for 1.5 to 2 hours. I sat and stared at the manual for a while and had some more coffee, then decided it just had to be done. In 30 minutes the entire dash was out on the ground. Ten to fifteen minutes later I had the heater core out. I just sat and marvelled at it until she got back with the replacement. Everything went back together easier than it came apart.

Jeff

I took a pretty good ride in M.R. Truck today after struggling to make it run after changing plugs and wires. Turns out at some point someone had put the distributor in wrong and I was trying to put the wires in right. Finally got that sorted out. The ride revealed I need a tail pipe!  The exhaust coming up from under the cab is not good!

kensfarm

Did the truck use to have a radiator/fan shroud?  I like how it sits down low.. just looks so cool.. everybody is going to want you to take them for a ride.  I like your Stihl sign too. 

Jeff

M.R. Truck made his first real public appearance today with the historic old 27 tour group as they made a stop I Harrison for a few hours today. He drew a lot of attention.

http://www.old27tour.com/

Magicman

M.R. Truck is now famous and looked right at home with the other vehicles.   

thecfarm

I do hope you enjoyed yourself too.  ;D  It's fun to talk old trucks. Kinda the same as talking sawing and logging.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grouch

M.R. Truck does seem to fit well in that crowd. Why are people clustering around it? :)

Anybody else notice how easy it is to distinguish some of the old cars from just a glimpse of a part? Only way I can tell most apart now is by seeing a name or logo. Must be approaching middle age or something.

Thank You Sponsors!