Sponsors:

Taking Delivery

Started by Jeff, March 23, 2017, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouch

Thanks! That's good info to have.

[Edit to add:]

Corley5,

I apologize for the short answer above. Company drove up about the time I was responding. I'll try to do better now.

I have zero first-hand experience with Pertronix and very limited experience with the Crane. That's why I never mentioned either for the '46 Dodge.

On the other hand, there are literally millions of cars and trucks right now running with the AC/Delco system. If a part of it ever fails, you can get a replacement in any parts store in any little hamlet in the country. The only thing preventing using that is the unusual flat blade drive for the flathead distributor. That's fixable.

At the time I was researching a few years ago, there were a lot of threads in fora by people who had fried their Pertronix. Naturally, there were just as many comments from people with no problems. The common theme was that those who had fried their unit had been troubleshooting other parts of the electrical system -- turn signals, heater fan, etc. -- with the ignition on, engine not running, but the points happened to be open. It scared me away from getting one.

Right after getting the Crane unit, I had the '68 Amazon loaded up with cameras and gear about to head out to film a football game for the local high school team, hit the brakes and they went to the floor. In '68 Volvo was still using steel brake lines and these rusted through. I had to go through the whole brake system even replacing calipers and rotors. That car kept getting pushed down the priority list and so I still have very limited experience with the Crane system and can't vouch for its reliability. (Don't want Jeff growling at _me_ for being stuck somewhere between the frozen north and a Georgia pig roast).

The AC/Delco unit I robbed from a 1980 Renault LeCar is still running my '80 Dodge slant six. I bought that Renault new. That's 37 years of duty without a glitch, so far. Those systems haven't changed much, and are in widespread use, for good reason.

You probably haven't had to do much troubleshooting of electrical accessories on those tractors with the ignition on and engine off. Pertronix may have changed components or design. Either way, I'm grateful to read your experience. Sometimes negative reports get exaggerated on the Internet to where the positive ones get drowned out.

Thanks again.
Find something to do that interests you.

Jeff

Today's enhancements.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

snowstorm

Quote from: red on May 17, 2017, 06:32:35 PM
www.ricksontruckwheels.com makes 19.5 wheels for lifted trucks , some even use tractor trailer tires. They are also $$$ , but nice on the right  truck.
19.5 is a pretty common size. every f450 550 used them from 99 and up. 8 stud thru 04 then 10 stud

Farmerjw

Jeff, the truck is looking fabulous.  I think it was the last issue of Vintage Trucks that they built a new wood bed on a one ton.  Will see if I have it yet (loan them to my dad before taking them to the school).  If I have it, pm me your mailing address and I'll stick it in the mail for you.  Will give you options and help in a decision.   It is nice to drive the old trucks about 40-45 mph on a county road and enjoy the breeze and life in general. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Jeff

Message sent. :)

Farmerjw,  you describe perfectly what my wish is.  It may change, but for now, the old truck as it was meant to be is what I want.  This truck was never meant to cruse down the highway, in fact, I suspect it probably has never been over 50 mph in its life.  The old braking system is perfectly adequate for this truck and engine.

I do have this vision of a wood box with old steel fenders.

Weekend_Sawyer

Jeff, you have the coolest rat rod on the block.

I like the idea of a wood bed. Howbout wood running boards?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ox

Saw a youtube video about older construction machines and one of these trucks popped out with a dump box on it with sideboards.  It looked right, with the duallys under it and all.  It just looked right. 

You could weld together a lightweight box frame and line it with nice hardy wood and have a nice looking box with the function of a dump without too much cash layout.  Have short sides on it.  It sounds like you already have your plan in your head of what you want but maybe random thoughts will trigger something better, who knows?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Jeff

WOOD RUNNING BOARDS. HMMM....  ;)

grouch

White oak flatbed with removable sides that look like what Ox described. Dark green steel stakes narrow on the outside, wider where they hit the wood. Look like a woodworker's dump truck with the sides on -- sunken panels instead of raised.

Maybe some walnut strips in the bed just to show off?

Would ERC running boards be too gaudy or could they be made to set off a FF emblem on the doors? Don't know if it could be made to match the orange ball in the logo.

paul case

Live edge running boards ***** that would add a little flavor.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Jeff

I don't have grand kids, so you get truck pictures.

grouch

Keep 'em coming.

Door panels could be wood, too.

I'd put a plastic gas tank between the rails so as not to have it riding in the cab with me.

Do the doors have straps or something to limit their swing?

That frame will let you do anything you want back there -- it's not ugly with random holes, bumps and twists like so many modern ones. (S10s with exposed frames are a good example of ugly).

Jeff

The dodges' didn't have the tank in the cab, it goes under it. THe filler pipe goes thrugh the side of the cab and down to the floor. I do have a tank.

grouch

Crazy Dodge brothers.

I have a '64 GMC and that fuel-air bomb was right behind the seat back. Don't want any gas to leak out of the cab in case of a wreck, y'know.

Saw that filler hole and thought yours was under the seat bottom. Might be bad place for those kind of fumes after spicey food.

Jeff

I even have new filler pipe and floor seals for when I put the tank in. Not any hurry for that. I don't want to put it in, and find I have to take it out because I got ahead of myself on something which I tend to do. :)

On a different note, I found a tire place in the next town that was excited to help me with mounting some good used tires on the front wheels.  No one in my town would touch them, or any one I called, so I threw them in to the truck and drove down to Clare to Bob's tires.  I used to go in there all the time between 79- 83  when I worked at the mill in Clare.  Bob is long past, but his boys still run the old school tire shop. I showed them pictures of the truck first, then asked about working on the rims. I picked them up this morning and now I'm working on painting them.  8) 8) 8)

Ox

I love the old school shops.  They treat you like it was in the old school usually, too, which I like.

Farmall red enamel?
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

grouch

Had to go all the way back to page 2 to get a look at the front wheels.

Why wouldn't any of the others work on them? What's so scary? They're just split rings, right? Changed a lot of those at my part-time job through high school. We had a cage made of pipe about 6" O.D. and strict rules about using it for any rim that was not a one-piece.

Maybe you were just meant to go back to Clare for that reconnection to Bob's tires. :)

Jeff

Actually, its New Holland red.  A bit darker and not so bright.

Whats so scary is that those old rims killed a lot of people. Even the big rigs are getting away from them, so there are not near as many people that have the experience working with them. So, most regular tire places like Bell, tire factory, metro25, and of those around here, won't touch them as the amount of business they bring is far less than the risk. Even our old school tire place in Harrison won't, mostly because the old school guys are no longer there. I see they still had a cage in the shop when I was there. It had old tubes in it.

sandhills

We still have a lot of them around the farm, I don't mind fixing them but just make sure the ring seats right with a little air, I most generally will wrap a chain around it in a few spots to be on the safe side, but yes, they could kill you.

Ox

I love the split ring rims.  Makes changing those big tires quite easy.  The trick to safety with these, told to me by an old farmer, is to take a wire wheel on an angle grinder and make sure the grooves on the rim and ring are totally spotless.  This pretty much ensures safety.  The first time I blow up a tire on these rims I always put the ring toward the ground, use a clip on air chuck and stand back.  I just regulate the air pressure on the regulator at the compressor.

grouch

It was an immediate firing offense to air one of those or the big rig versions outside the cage at Meers Service Center. No argument, no appeal, just gone. We had clip on air chucks for that and nobody stayed in the bay where the cage was when airing. Even the initial seating of the ring with very little air was done in the cage. Rings and grooves were cleaned just as Ox described. A machinist's hammer was handy for coaxing old rings completely into their groove as that initial airing took place (less pressure than the gauge could measure). By the time the gauge moved, you were required to leave it.

Had a few 10.00-20s and -22s blow off. You could hear 'em all over that little town. People got used to it.

I don't think I'd air one outside a cage.

sandhills

Yeah, I left a few things out, clean clean clean and I also use the hammer (with little pressure) to make sure they seat.  We had a guy in a tire shop just west of us get blown to the ceiling a week or so ago when a pivot tire let go.  This wasn't a split rim either and there wasn't more than 40# in it, luckily all he ended up with was a broken arm I think.  Not sure how tall their ceiling is but I've seen semis sitting in there and they said he hit it, I don't think he remembers though  :-\.

thecfarm

I know a guy about 40 that lost an eye when he was in his late teens working on one of those rims for his Father.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

Quote from: sandhills on May 20, 2017, 11:29:27 AM
We still have a lot of them around the farm, I don't mind fixing them but just make sure the ring seats right with a little air, I most generally will wrap a chain around it in a few spots to be on the safe side, but yes, they could kill you.

this is the way i used to do it too :) have only had 1 blow off and knew it was questionable when i started :-\ why i went ahead who knows but all i got was scared ;D :D  i havent changed one in years now we only have 2 trucks left with that kind of rim and neither are being used anymore :)
i do remember one guy being killed when i was 18-19 years old about 15 miles from my house and another guy got his arm and leg broke by one but thats all i can remember here locally  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Jeff

If any of you guys know of any resources, I'd like to get two more of these bud rims and go ahead and put duels back on.

Thank You Sponsors!