iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking Delivery

Started by Jeff, March 23, 2017, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Great job on the seat!  Wow, How did you clean the springs?  The denim is a nice touch, may need a pocket somewhere  :D

Hope you have plenty of Blue Creeper!

Jeff

No plans on converting. No money for that. If I was going to do a conversion, it would be to put it on a modern chasis.i just want a running driving old truck.

The springs were pressure washed then painted with rustoleum rust converter spray paint
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Yes the seat looks good and that comment about the "pocket" made me chuckle.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Probably the first thing I do will be to put a modern fuse block in so it doesn't burn down. The old cloth covered wire is shot. I had to disconnect the battery when one of the wires under the dash shorted on a the choke cable. The wiring in this old truck is pretty simplistic, so changing all of it will be a priority.

Ox

I think that is a very good idea.  Also a small ABC extinguisher would be a good 3rd passenger for a while, eh?  ;)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Farmerjw

Jeff,  good looking old truck.  I traded off my '48 Ford F3 a few years ago and have kicked my butt ever since.  So I bought a '62 International Farm truck to use here on our little farm.  Looked at a '57 Chevy ton truck the other day.  Keeping it in the back of my mind.  Very nice on the seat!  My IH's seat looks similar to the way yours did.  Enjoying this thread, keep us informed please.

Jon
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Delawhere Jack

Don't know how I didn't see this thread earlier. I know you said "no conversion", but have a look at this.

One of my milling clients from years back put his on an early 90's 1ton chassis. His was a 1945. It was built for the military but sold to the public when the war ended.

Jeff

First test of the cooling system. Um....

coxy

just stick a piece of bubble gum on there  :D

Jeff

I was going to hit it with the wire welder until I started to clean it up.

Mooseherder

It won't hold the Pepper fix. :D

Jeff

Nope, and I'd bet there are more if I kept wire brushing. :)

Mooseherder

Look like the previous feller got everything out of that poor clamp and the pipe failed instead. ;D

chet

Quote from: Jeff on April 21, 2017, 07:18:17 PM
I was going to hit it with the wire welder until I started to clean it up.

Been there done that.  :D  Easy fix, have the local muffler shop bent ya a pipe ta match.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Jeff

Scraping, wirebrushing, grinding sanding, cleaning, FRAME PAINTING!

Just Me

A muffler shop pipe will have a kink. Ask the parts store for a mandrel bent piece or order just the pieces you need from Summit Racing. Summit is very dependable.

I sold a 47 a couple of years ago, did not want to mess with the originality and it was too slow to do what I wanted it for. Not the fastest rigs with that motor to be sure. You will get run over on I 75!

There is one sitting in Roger City on the north side of town at that oil company, and I think it has a factory visor.

chet

Quote from: Just Me on April 23, 2017, 04:31:06 PM
A muffler shop pipe will have a kink.

The muffler shop I use has a mandrel and custom bends, he even stocks seamless pipe.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Not a single muffler shop in Mt. Pleasant. Had 1.5 inch pipe. It is obsolete. I found a full hose that worked.

coxy

just watch it don't hit the fan when it gets hot and bends down that's what happened to me on a 72 blazer I put rubber in place of metal and didn't work out so well

Magicman

Either patch/braze up the holes or use your ends and adapt up to 2".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: coxy on April 23, 2017, 07:14:29 PM
just watch it don't hit the fan when it gets hot and bends down that's what happened to me on a 72 blazer I put rubber in place of metal and didn't work out so well
It should be good. I can't even push it into the fan. The radiator tube on the bottom angles aup and away from the radiator, and the hose has a kick in it.

Lynn, I considered that, but the pipe was riddled with holes and my concern was even if I got them all patched, I didn't know where the new ones were going to appear.

The hose was only $12 plus two good clamps.

Magicman

Yup, you are good.   :)

Just Me

If you want to convert it to 12 Volt here is a pulley that will allow you to stay with the 5/8" belt and use a GM 1 wire alternator. I converted mine and left the starter 6 volt with no issues, but it started with just a bump.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Alternator-5-8-Inch-Wide-Alternator-Belt-Pulley-Plain,1868.html

Thank You Sponsors!