The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Taking Delivery  (Read 25707 times)

Offline bigred1951

• logging and sawmilling
Re: Taking Delivery
« Reply #240 on: May 17, 2017, 06:17:48 pm »
If it was mine I would be looking for either a dodge or Chevy 3/4 to ton 4x4 and use the axles motor trans and transfer case. Might have to cut and move the spring purches on the axles and use the dodge springs. But that's me to each their own.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #241 on: May 17, 2017, 06:26:53 pm »
I've been switching old tractors over to this http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx as points are needed.  I won't buy points and condensers again.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Jeff

• Lead Administrator and Founder
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #242 on: May 17, 2017, 06:27:18 pm »
My goal was to have an old truck that I could drive up town without worrying about it raining on it or having to polish it. Something that shows its history. Maybe sme day my goals will change, but for now, I just want the old truck to run and drive and most importantly, STOP! :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #243 on: May 17, 2017, 06:29:03 pm »
Corley, On the 39-48 plymouth dodge desoto facebook group, the talk is they do not make a kit for our trucks yet.

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #244 on: May 17, 2017, 06:32:35 pm »
www.ricksontruckwheels.com makes 19.5 wheels for lifted trucks , some even use tractor trailer tires. They are also $$$ , but nice on the right  truck.
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #245 on: May 17, 2017, 06:35:50 pm »
Call them @ 909 547 9058 with the # on the tag of the distributor.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #246 on: May 17, 2017, 06:37:12 pm »
They're in California so they're still open ;D :)

Offline grouch

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm recyclable!
« Reply #247 on: May 17, 2017, 06:41:37 pm »
Does it have the straight axle leaf spring front suspension
Yes. This is a 46 wd21 1 ton. I am told  the front end on this truck in 1946 and 47 were unique to this truck..

Everything I have been finding says the 1 ton had a bigger engine but the front spindles were the same as the 1/2 and 3/4. Can you pull a hub and put a micrometer to the spindle?

Even if that rustyhope kit won't fit, there's probably a disc in the salvage yard that will fit that truck. There is probably some Forestry Forum member who would recognize the measurements.

What's the track, measured from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface? Knowing that would help find a donor truck to get front discs on there.

Find something to do that interests you.

Offline grouch

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm recyclable!
« Reply #248 on: May 17, 2017, 06:50:23 pm »
I've been switching old tractors over to this http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx as points are needed.  I won't buy points and condensers again.

Do Pertronix still self-destruct when you leave the ignition on under "points open" condition?

When I was researching to convert my '68 Amazon, I read accounts of that and went with a Crane Fireball XR700.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #249 on: May 17, 2017, 07:03:17 pm »
  I've got them in three Farmalls two are 6V positive ground and one is a twelve volt negative conversion.  I've also done a 2010 JD.  It runs better than ever and did away with the consumption of points and plug fouling on #4. 
  I've never had to touch a Pertronix after they were installed.  The JD was done 8 years ago.  The Farmalls within the last five.  Two of the Farmalls and the JD are AC/Delco distributors.  The other Farmall has an IHC distributor.  The JD sees serious duty on a 7' finish mower throughout the season.

Offline grouch

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm recyclable!
« Reply #250 on: May 17, 2017, 07:18:31 pm »
Thanks! That's good info to have.

[Edit to add:]

Corley5,

I apologize for the short answer above. Company drove up about the time I was responding. I'll try to do better now.

I have zero first-hand experience with Pertronix and very limited experience with the Crane. That's why I never mentioned either for the '46 Dodge.

On the other hand, there are literally millions of cars and trucks right now running with the AC/Delco system. If a part of it ever fails, you can get a replacement in any parts store in any little hamlet in the country. The only thing preventing using that is the unusual flat blade drive for the flathead distributor. That's fixable.

At the time I was researching a few years ago, there were a lot of threads in fora by people who had fried their Pertronix. Naturally, there were just as many comments from people with no problems. The common theme was that those who had fried their unit had been troubleshooting other parts of the electrical system -- turn signals, heater fan, etc. -- with the ignition on, engine not running, but the points happened to be open. It scared me away from getting one.

Right after getting the Crane unit, I had the '68 Amazon loaded up with cameras and gear about to head out to film a football game for the local high school team, hit the brakes and they went to the floor. In '68 Volvo was still using steel brake lines and these rusted through. I had to go through the whole brake system even replacing calipers and rotors. That car kept getting pushed down the priority list and so I still have very limited experience with the Crane system and can't vouch for its reliability. (Don't want Jeff growling at _me_ for being stuck somewhere between the frozen north and a Georgia pig roast).

The AC/Delco unit I robbed from a 1980 Renault LeCar is still running my '80 Dodge slant six. I bought that Renault new. That's 37 years of duty without a glitch, so far. Those systems haven't changed much, and are in widespread use, for good reason.

You probably haven't had to do much troubleshooting of electrical accessories on those tractors with the ignition on and engine off. Pertronix may have changed components or design. Either way, I'm grateful to read your experience. Sometimes negative reports get exaggerated on the Internet to where the positive ones get drowned out.

Thanks again.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #251 on: May 17, 2017, 10:30:42 pm »
Today's enhancements.

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #252 on: May 18, 2017, 07:26:25 am »
www.ricksontruckwheels.com makes 19.5 wheels for lifted trucks , some even use tractor trailer tires. They are also $$$ , but nice on the right  truck.
19.5 is a pretty common size. every f450 550 used them from 99 and up. 8 stud thru 04 then 10 stud

Offline Farmerjw

• I'm so far behind I think I am in first place.
« Reply #253 on: May 18, 2017, 10:03:53 am »
Jeff, the truck is looking fabulous.  I think it was the last issue of Vintage Trucks that they built a new wood bed on a one ton.  Will see if I have it yet (loan them to my dad before taking them to the school).  If I have it, pm me your mailing address and I'll stick it in the mail for you.  Will give you options and help in a decision.   It is nice to drive the old trucks about 40-45 mph on a county road and enjoy the breeze and life in general. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2017, 10:32:22 am »
Message sent. :)

Farmerjw,  you describe perfectly what my wish is.  It may change, but for now, the old truck as it was meant to be is what I want.  This truck was never meant to cruse down the highway, in fact, I suspect it probably has never been over 50 mph in its life.  The old braking system is perfectly adequate for this truck and engine.

I do have this vision of a wood box with old steel fenders.

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2017, 02:26:00 pm »

Jeff, you have the coolest rat rod on the block.

I like the idea of a wood bed. Howbout wood running boards?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2017, 02:30:41 pm »
Saw a youtube video about older construction machines and one of these trucks popped out with a dump box on it with sideboards.  It looked right, with the duallys under it and all.  It just looked right. 

You could weld together a lightweight box frame and line it with nice hardy wood and have a nice looking box with the function of a dump without too much cash layout.  Have short sides on it.  It sounds like you already have your plan in your head of what you want but maybe random thoughts will trigger something better, who knows?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2017, 02:31:45 pm »
WOOD RUNNING BOARDS. HMMM....  ;)

Offline grouch

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm recyclable!
« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2017, 03:11:11 pm »
White oak flatbed with removable sides that look like what Ox described. Dark green steel stakes narrow on the outside, wider where they hit the wood. Look like a woodworker's dump truck with the sides on -- sunken panels instead of raised.

Maybe some walnut strips in the bed just to show off?

Would ERC running boards be too gaudy or could they be made to set off a FF emblem on the doors? Don't know if it could be made to match the orange ball in the logo.

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2017, 10:47:51 pm »
Live edge running boards ***** that would add a little flavor.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc