iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marketing Unique Logs

Started by mills, March 23, 2017, 05:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mills

Any value in this log?

If so, how do you go about finding a buyer.

Fairly good size log. 36" on the big end, and 30" on the small end. Really too big to handle on Dad's small mill.

TKehl

If you were closer, I'd be interested.  Could make some interesting slabs, assuming there's not a bunch of tramp in there that caused the disfiguration.

Try C-list or FB.  Either post an add or search for live edge slabs or slab tables.  That will eventually work you toward a buyer. 

Or have someone with a slabber or chain saw mill come slice it up.  More risk, possibly more reward. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

thecfarm

Probably would make more opening it up. But than again,firewood price it might move.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

low_48

I'm guessing a lot of rot in there. One branch remnant still there, and looks like a healed over section. Both usually conceal rot.

mills

I thought the same thing until I cut the first log from it. It didn't show in the pictures, but both ends of this log are clear. I would think it would show staining if there was a bad spot in it.

TKehl

Quote from: longtime lurker on March 26, 2017, 04:31:57 PM
I've learnt that them big old logs offer the most potential, both to make money and to get my head handed to me on a plate when they cut bad.

Someone has to scratch that lotto ticket to see if it's a winner.  Do you want to see if you won, or leave it to the next guy.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!