iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Limits of wood that can be harvested in an area.Sustainable loggings operations

Started by studentR, March 22, 2017, 02:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studentR

Hello every one. I really appreciate the opportunity to join the forum.
Right now I am making a homework :P about the Midwest Logging Operations, and I have a doubt. In order to comply some laws and regulations (about responsible harvesting, Growt To Drain Ratio) how the loggers managers determine how many trees can be exploit. For example if I have an area that can produce 60 000 tons per year, and it takes hardwood trees about 40 years to re-grow after being cut down, how many tons (approximately) per year I can harvest?. How they determine the limits of harvesting?

Riwaka

What timberland types are you considering? Anymore Mid-West vids?
https://youtu.be/BhSXjoLagXQ
Go and look up the state laws for various areas.
To get the thread moving, Generally forest harvest volume ( in many places) depend on factors like 1) the tree age structure of the forest,(i.e  does the forest have a lot of old or young trees) 2) Forest tree Losses to wind, fire, disease, insects, illegal logging/ fire wood gathering 3) Market demand for various tree types - a market may want your trees at some times and not others 4) Availabilty of tree harvesting crews to harvest the trees - is is better to get more crews for a short time or a few crews that are there continually 5) Enviromental laws may restrict harvest to limited times in sensitive areas, laws might mean - selective harvesting or restrict the size of clear cut areas which can reduce the efficiency of the harvest.

Neilo

This is a whole profession managing this process.

In your question you say the forest can produce 60k each year, so that is your answer.

But generally, you need to know the area which can legally, physically and financially be cut. You also need growth curves (volume by age of forest) for your products. You also need current condition and ages of your forest and minimum rotation age (40 years etc)

The most basic is a straight line growth curve. 40 year old produce x volume per acre. Annual growth is x/40. Then annual sustainable volume is area times annual volume. This assumes that your forest is currently old enough to cut.

Neilo

Check out companies like Remsoft that sell products to optimise sustainable yield.

Gary_C

Forest Resource Fact Sheet

Forest growth has exceeded harvest since the 1940s. today, growth exceeds harvest by 47 percent.

Quote from: studentR on March 22, 2017, 02:34:07 AM
the Midwest Logging Operations, and I have a doubt. In order to comply some laws and regulations (about responsible harvesting, Growt To Drain Ratio) how the loggers managers determine how many trees can be exploit.
How they determine the limits of harvesting?

I'm not sure where your doubt comes from, but the facts indicate otherwise.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

killamplanes

This isn't an answer but here locally we say everything above 16inch dbh...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Thank You Sponsors!