iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Morel mushrooms!

Started by Woodcutter_Mo, March 21, 2017, 10:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcutter_Mo

It's about that time of the year here, with the overall extremely mild winter we've had, the warm night lastnight and the rain that's on its way, I'd say we should be seeing some Morels popping up. I havnt looked yet so there could already be some. I plan to go looking today after work, weather permitting.

How do you cook your morels? My favorite is to saute them in butter along with some asparagus. In the rare instance that I find a large crop of them, I'll add them to spaghetti or fry a few in flour with a small amount of black pepper and salt.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Weekend_Sawyer

My favorite is to make angle hair pasta.

saute onions and garlic in butter and  olive oil
Add mushrooms and pasta and a splash of white wine.

Tasty, tasty, tasty!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Chop Shop

Anyone here eat "false morels"?

We find tons of them here.  The old timers tell me Im an idiot for passing them up.  They have a couple minor differences from normal morels. Most books list them as "not edible" but can be poisonous in large amounts.  Just upset stomach or the poohs are the most common if not cooked properly.

The old timers here tell me they just need to be cooked to temp/time and they are good eating and not to leave them behind.

I know some folks get an upset stomach just from lobsters and chanterelles, so I wonder if the books are just too cautious.

Anyone here eat/cook morels with white cotton inside the stems?

sawguy21

I know of a road side restaurant that makes the world's best mushroom burgers, they pick daily in season so they are always fresh. I can't finish one with a plate of fries. They use morels and a couple of other varieties.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Chop Shop on March 21, 2017, 03:14:14 PM

We find tons of them here.  The old timers tell me Im an idiot for passing them up.  They have a couple minor differences from normal morels. Most books list them as "not edible" but can be poisonous in large amounts.  Just upset stomach or the poohs are the most common if not cooked properly.

The old timers here tell me they just need to be cooked to temp/time and they are good eating and not to leave them behind.

I know some folks get an upset stomach just from lobsters and chanterelles, so I wonder if the books are just too cautious.

I have heared of people eating them but it's too risky for me, it's a shame though because them false morels get prety big.

Here's a link with pics and I.d. info about false morels if anyone is interested. Here they are listed as "Poisonous", thats enough to keep me away from them  :D

https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/false-morels
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Weekend_Sawyer

No Sir, not me and I don't eat puffer fish either!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Kcwoodbutcher

If I recall correctly the poison in false morels is either hydrazine or methyl hydrazine ( basically rocket fuel ). Both compounds have a low boiling point so cooking them well done should eliminate the problem. I have eaten them with no ill effects but then I'll eat about anything. Try at your own risk.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

drobertson

This week end should be the start of it, just before and during Turkey season. Sauteed and fried, both ways are good.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Woodcutter_Mo

I havnt seen any yet here but I'd say the rain and mild overnight temps we're expecting this week should get them started  8)
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Just Me

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on March 21, 2017, 10:50:17 PM

I have heared of people eating them but it's too risky for me, it's a shame though because them false morels get prety big.

Here's a link with pics and I.d. info about false morels if anyone is interested. Here they are listed as "Poisonous", thats enough to keep me away from them  :D

https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/false-morels

That is not what I would call a false morel. That is what we refer to as Beefsteaks around here. A false morel looks like a morel other than the sides are less curved, very hard for some to tell apart. They have a white hair inside the stem if in doubt, and I have picked some I thought were morels until I look at the stem, they are that much alike.

I am curious as well if anyone eats the false morels with the white hair inside the stem. I do eat the beefsteaks, well cooked, and have never had an issue.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have Low Morel when it comes to Mushrooms.  ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

gww

If it is the red mushrooms being talked about as false, I have eaten them my whole life.  We just salt, pepper, flower and fry.  I have never really ate the morels any other way.  I can use bought musrooms for stirfry but morels are to be fried.

I was wondering if they would be early this year.  We seem to be getting the rain now but maby alittle lacking on the heat.  I bet the reds are up now but have not looked yet. 

I always heard where I live that when the ground temp stays 50 degrees for a 24 hour period or by april the 11th even if cooler that they will start poping.

When  I was young, we spent weeks driving the country roads over the whole county.  We used to drive deer all day also.  Now that I am a little older and lazier, We stay on just a couple of places and use atv and maby get off and walk the better spots.  Since becoming lazy, we find fewer and you can really tell a differrance between years.  I am hoping the year will be good this year with the rain we are getting.

Good hunting
gww

Woodcutter_Mo

About an hour south of me they have been finding morels for several days and yesterday one of my neighbors found some, they're patch is a bit higher in elevation so my morel patch should start any time now if they havnt already. The May Apples are coming up so that's a good sign.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Skip

It's that time of the year my Ramps are up!  8)

Woodcutter_Mo

Found a few of the small early gray morels yesterday.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

gww

Woodcutter
Those small grays are bigger then the first few small grays I usually find.  You have a taste now, congradulation and thanks for posting.  I am now going to have to look on a map and see if you are south or north of me :).
Cheers
gww

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: gww on March 30, 2017, 01:50:09 PM
Woodcutter
Those small grays are bigger then the first few small grays I usually find.  You have a taste now, congradulation and thanks for posting.  I am now going to have to look on a map and see if you are south or north of me :).
Cheers
gww

Yea a couple of them were fair size, mostly about thimble size though. Alot further south someone found a couple around 3" diameter, prety big for the early ones :o. I'm approximately the same latitude as Springfield, Mo maybe a bit lower. Good luck, hopefully the big yellow ones start soon. :)
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

gww

Woodcutter
It was raining here off and on and I did not get out of the easy chair.  I did call dad about your pictures.  He lives on 180 acres and I usually let him find a few before I get to moving.  He had already walked a little and had no luck.  We talked about looking for some of the red ones cause they are usually quite a bit earlier and I think he was going to jump on an atv and go around a little more but I didn't hear back from him and so guess he had no luck.

We got the water but not the heat yet.
Cheers
gww

Woodcutter_Mo

I'm still finding a few what I believe to be the early gray morels in the one patch where I've been finding all of them so far, havnt found any in my other patches yet. The neighbor is still finding alot.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

gww

wood......
Nothing here yet.  I went out today to see if anything was blooming for my bees and kept my eyes to the ground in case I ran on to a red one. It rained all day on and off and so wetness is not going to be the problim this year.
gww

Al_Smith

It's a little early for them in these parts ,end of the month maybe .

gww

Al.....
My season is usually winding up on may first no matter what the year.
gww

Woodcutter_Mo

We found several of the yellow morels at one of my other patches and they had been up for a while, in fact I left a couple because they were too far gone. Keep an eye out, I'm not sure what part of Mo you are at but I'd say they should be coming up any time.

These ones we cooked in flour batter with a little salt and black pepper, turned out good.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

gww

wood.....
Yes, nothing yet.  Your way is how we cook all of them we find.  We eat them in place of meat if we have enough.
gww

Woodcutter_Mo

Was at a relative's house yesterday who found a large amount of morels (grocery sack packed full) yesterday. They sauted some and added them to some rice, hamberger and asparagus in the skillet. That was a prety good combination.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Thank You Sponsors!