iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chattering band-Kasco

Started by Deere80, March 21, 2017, 08:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

Hay Seth glade to hear you got it cutting good I'm going up to Hazen Friday will stop in to see ya bought noon 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

btulloh

Glad you got if fixed.  Seeing the before pic, it was clear I was having the same problem as you.  Woodland Mills is sending me the updated washer as a free replacement.

I had replaced the urethane washer once already - about three months after I got this mill.  The original washer started "oozing" out around the bearing surface of the adjustment mechanism.  It looks like this will solve the problem once and for all.  Keep us updated if you have further developments or see signs of recurrence.
BT
HM126

4x4American

Personally I like deep gullets.  The shallow gullet blades cut too slow and I have worse results with them.  Run a wider, thicker blade if you're worried about beam strength.  IMO
Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

My mill cuts faster and straighter with shallow gullets as I can push it harder while still cutting straight.  Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

After sawing over 2 million bf and trying out lots of different brands I find Simonds which have lower gullet dept. than most saw the straightest in tough wood like white oak, white ash and spruce' Sawing easy wood like white pine, red oak  or popular they all saw good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

xlogger

Quote from: 4x4American on April 19, 2017, 09:54:27 PM
I doubt it
Well I don't know about you but Steve has cut 10 times more wood than me and he has given me some good advice over the years.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

4x4American

Maybe if you put a deep gullet blade on it wouldn't take 11,000hrs to saw 2mmbf :D :D

edit 12,000hrs
Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

As mentioned I've tried deep gullet blades and don't saw as straight as shallow gullet blades. Why do you think that deep gullet blades saw faster but not as straight.   Steve

Deere80

Goose I might take vacation Friday so I might be home, it depends on what the weather is going to be out. 
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

4x4American

Because deep gullet blades have more gullet capacity.  With the shallow gullet blades, you can't push them as fast without getting waves because the blade will spill sawdust and get the blade all cattywampus.  If you haven't you should try WM turbo 1-1/2 .055" thick blades (on 1-1/2" guide rollers).  To me it's night and day difference (in hardwood) compared to say a ripper 37 or a kasco 7 or reg wm 7, etc.  If your mill is properly aligned and the blade body is flat you should have excellent results.  Also have to get a wm blade with a good weld joint.  Alot of times they are less than perfect
Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

Explain why me or you can saw easy to saw wood at high feed rates and then saw tough wood at much lower feed rates which puts out way less sawdust and then blame it on the gullets being too full of sawdust, the gullet too full theory makes no sense at all, my really shallow gullet 3/4 pitch Simonds  saw hard too cut and easy too cut wood the straightest  by far  at high feed rates . As mentioned more beam and less tooth puts less twisting force on the blade. I'm not switching to a high priced 1 1/2 blade that break too soon when I can make my diesel smoke and still cut straight with my Simonds 1 1/4 blade.  The thicker blades would just cut slower as the kerf is wider.  If I had a 45 hp diesel I might give them a try.  A 3/4 pitch Simonds blade cuts wide spruce better than any deep gullet blade.  Steve

Ox

ladylake - what tooth angle do you prefer on your Simmonds 3/4 pitch blades?  I have a lot of trouble with standing dead red pine and wavy cuts and after trying many things your experience with these blades may have me wanting to try them.  Where do you order them from?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

ladylake

I buy them at 10° as that's all they sell then sharpen to 4° , the 10° cut good but the 4° are a little better.  With dead pine make sure your blades aren't gumming up.   Will send you a PM.  Steve

Ox

Yep, no gumming here I can promise you that!  I've tried every trick in the book except for different tooth spacing.  It's the only thing I haven't tried and it's why I'm a little interested in it.  I've heard spruce is tough to cut straight and if you can, then I can!
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

goose63

Ibought two of the Ripper 37s with the shallow gulet and dont like them. New on my woodland thy push just as hard as a dull deep gullet. I have one left will use it on a dirty log then toss it out
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Nomad

Different sawyers have different mills, use different bands and cut different woods under different conditions.  Results may very dramatically between one and the next. 
     Why question another seasoned professional about what works for him?  That really is not in the tradition of this Forum.  If it doesn't work for you, don't do it that way!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ladylake

Quote from: Ox on April 20, 2017, 11:54:11 AM
Yep, no gumming here I can promise you that!  I've tried every trick in the book except for different tooth spacing.  It's the only thing I haven't tried and it's why I'm a little interested in it.  I've heard spruce is tough to cut straight and if you can, then I can!

A little extra set also helps in dry pine but you've most likely tried that.  In spruce their is night and day difference between 7/8 pitch and a shallow gullet 3/4 pitch blade.  The 3/4 pitch saws really good up to 14" wide or so and just a bit of up and down in real wide cuts, the 7/8 in wide cuts is terrible.  Steve

Ox

Quote from: nomad on April 20, 2017, 05:41:21 PM
     Different sawyers have different mills, use different bands and cut different woods under different conditions.  Results may very dramatically between one and the next. 
     Why question another seasoned professional about what works for him?  That really is not in the tradition of this Forum.  If it doesn't work for you, don't do it that way!
Why question another sawyer?  For different or better ideas.  And I think you're wrong - This is what the forum is based upon.  People asking others what has worked for them and for different ideas.  What are you trying to say?  You're not making much sense.  Meant with respect.

barbender

Why question might better have read "why insult?". Dug kinda came across that way, whether intentional or not.
Too many irons in the fire

4x4American

Quote from: barbender on April 20, 2017, 08:37:32 PM
Why question might better have read "why insult?". Dug kinda came across that way, whether intentional or not.

I'm a ball buster smart aleck by nature, if you were to have met me in person it might make more sense...the internet and typing doesnt really relay stuff well.  I don't saw much softwood mainly low grade hardwood and its fast sawing no rose smelling so were in different worlds.  Anyways, shallow gullets do not work for me, thick wide and deep is how I like em :D

Boy, back in my day..

barbender

I figured that was the case, I'm a big time smart aleck needler myself and I have to be careful the way I come across online😊 I was more trying to clarify what was being talked about than anything. I've said it many times before, I'll say it again- I "dig" Dug's sense of humor ;D

Magicman

Successful sawyers have their own tried and proven methods as well as niche markets.   They may be different than what other sawyers are accustomed to but different is not necessarily wrong.  It does not bode well to unnecessarily "call them out" just because you disagree with or do not fully understand their methods. 

Until I have walked in their sawdust I find it best to open my eyes and ears and learn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

You guys are just jealous that you cannot compete with the 13hp EZ Jr baby!! :D :D :D :D :D

Y'all remember when MagicMan, Barbender, 4x4, and I had that sawing competition last year and I smoked'em?  :o

Yeah, me neither  :D :D :D :D :D
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

barbender

Probably could've smoked me, Deese! I have the lowest production rate of any hydraulic mill in the midwest, maybe the whole country ;D

Thank You Sponsors!