The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Chattering band-Kasco  (Read 2836 times)

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: Chattering band-Kasco
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2017, 01:25:23 pm »
Ibought two of the Ripper 37s with the shallow gulet and dont like them. New on my woodland thy push just as hard as a dull deep gullet. I have one left will use it on a dirty log then toss it out
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline nomad

• Senior Member x2
    • Bill's Mill Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 05:41:21 pm »
     Different sawyers have different mills, use different bands and cut different woods under different conditions.  Results may very dramatically between one and the next. 
     Why question another seasoned professional about what works for him?  That really is not in the tradition of this Forum.  If it doesn't work for you, don't do it that way!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas 1030 w/slabbing attachment

Online ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 06:02:28 pm »
Yep, no gumming here I can promise you that!  I've tried every trick in the book except for different tooth spacing.  It's the only thing I haven't tried and it's why I'm a little interested in it.  I've heard spruce is tough to cut straight and if you can, then I can!

A little extra set also helps in dry pine but you've most likely tried that.  In spruce their is night and day difference between 7/8 pitch and a shallow gullet 3/4 pitch blade.  The 3/4 pitch saws really good up to 14" wide or so and just a bit of up and down in real wide cuts, the 7/8 in wide cuts is terrible.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 07:51:30 pm »
     Different sawyers have different mills, use different bands and cut different woods under different conditions.  Results may very dramatically between one and the next. 
     Why question another seasoned professional about what works for him?  That really is not in the tradition of this Forum.  If it doesn't work for you, don't do it that way!
Why question another sawyer?  For different or better ideas.  And I think you're wrong - This is what the forum is based upon.  People asking others what has worked for them and for different ideas.  What are you trying to say?  You're not making much sense.  Meant with respect.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2017, 08:37:32 pm »
Why question might better have read "why insult?". Dug kinda came across that way, whether intentional or not.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Website Link
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2017, 09:21:39 pm »
Why question might better have read "why insult?". Dug kinda came across that way, whether intentional or not.

I'm a ball buster smart aleck by nature, if you were to have met me in person it might make more sense...the internet and typing doesnt really relay stuff well.  I don't saw much softwood mainly low grade hardwood and its fast sawing no rose smelling so were in different worlds.  Anyways, shallow gullets do not work for me, thick wide and deep is how I like em :D

Boy, back in my day..

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2017, 10:15:39 pm »
I figured that was the case, I'm a big time smart aleck needler myself and I have to be careful the way I come across online😊 I was more trying to clarify what was being talked about than anything. I've said it many times before, I'll say it again- I "dig" Dug's sense of humor ;D

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2017, 08:42:22 am »
Successful sawyers have their own tried and proven methods as well as niche markets.   They may be different than what other sawyers are accustomed to but different is not necessarily wrong.  It does not bode well to unnecessarily "call them out" just because you disagree with or do not fully understand their methods. 

Until I have walked in their sawdust I find it best to open my eyes and ears and learn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2017, 11:39:06 am »
You guys are just jealous that you cannot compete with the 13hp EZ Jr baby!! :D :D :D :D :D

Y'all remember when MagicMan, Barbender, 4x4, and I had that sawing competition last year and I smoked'em?  :o

Yeah, me neither  :D :D :D :D :D
Sawed 4 years with EZ Boardwalk Jr 13hp. I now have a 2004 LT40HDD51. Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, Cooks Single Tooth Setter, a bunch of chainsaws, and an old chocolate lab.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2017, 12:07:40 pm »
Probably could've smoked me, Deese! I have the lowest production rate of any hydraulic mill in the midwest, maybe the whole country ;D

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Website Link
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2017, 06:56:42 pm »
My saw is a skookum choocher but the guy running it is a half-wit
Boy, back in my day..

Online Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2017, 07:41:00 pm »
Goose
The ripper 37 7's cut great on my mill with 13 hp
Nice and flat in rock maple and I don't have to buy 15 at a time :)
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2017, 09:23:49 am »
Deere80, I was following this thread and saw your picture of the issue you were having.  I had been having the same problem recently.  Woodland Mills sent me the spring washer upgrade (free and promptly) which I installed last week.  It improved but didn't completely eliminate the problem.  (The spring washer is a big and necessary improvement over the polyurethane bushing though.)

My belts were on their last legs, so I replace them and went through a general alignment - guides, tracking, etc.  The main thing I found was tracking on the drive wheel was slightly different than the RH wheel.  The blade was running a little farther back on the drive wheel.

New blade, new belts, new alignment, new spring washers.  It's back to sawing perfectly again with sharp blades or time-to-change blades.

After wearing out a couple polyurethane bushings pretty quickly, I'd say the change to the spring washer assembly is pretty important. 

Just throwing this out there in case it might help somebody.

BT

(Once again I'd like to thank Woodland Mills for their prompt and friendly service.)
HM126

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2017, 07:17:47 pm »
Deere80, I was following this thread and saw your picture of the issue you were having.  I had been having the same problem recently.  Woodland Mills sent me the spring washer upgrade (free and promptly) which I installed last week.  It improved but didn't completely eliminate the problem.  (The spring washer is a big and necessary improvement over the polyurethane bushing though.)

My belts were on their last legs, so I replace them and went through a general alignment - guides, tracking, etc.  The main thing I found was tracking on the drive wheel was slightly different than the RH wheel.  The blade was running a little farther back on the drive wheel.

New blade, new belts, new alignment, new spring washers.  It's back to sawing perfectly again with sharp blades or time-to-change blades.

After wearing out a couple polyurethane bushings pretty quickly, I'd say the change to the spring washer assembly is pretty important. 

Just throwing this out there in case it might help somebody.

BT

(Once again I'd like to thank Woodland Mills for their prompt and friendly service.)

Last couple logs I sawed with my 126, I started seeing this problem. :( Did a alignment, have new belts. Kind of though it might be that I sharpen my own blades. Well early this morning, I had put a new blade on. Same problem. :(

Called Woodland and asked about the up grade and sure as heck they agree and the best part, they are sending me the replacement parts up grade for free. ;D

I have to say, after having my mill over two years and the seller coming across and sending me replacement parts to up grade my mill is beyond. This is the second time that they did this for me. I can't say enough to thank them. Not to many companies will step in after a warrant and replace parts for free. That should tell someone what kind of support one gets with a Woodland Mills. Forestry Forum should be proud to have them as a sponsor. And yes, thank you Woodland. ;D