TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Chattering band-Kasco  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Cutting Edge

Re: Chattering band-Kasco
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 07:58:52 am »

Another point worth mentioning...

Judging by one of the pictures and the fact of being located in N. Dakota, there is a good chance Deere80 is sawing partially frozen logs.

As some of us know, frozen logs are a whole different animal.  Partially frozen (thawed outer/frozen inner or vice versa) are even worse.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blade Distributor

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 08:29:36 am »
Good point, Cutting Edge. I also agree with your assessment of the cause of the striations, the only time I get those marks is when I am moving too slow.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Go saw it
    • Website Link
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 11:59:53 pm »
Although I don't think there's anything wrong with the blade (might not be the best profile for you), ffr, don't rule a blade out because you tried a few new ones.  It's not a bad idea to pull a blade off early that's cutting good and save it as a benchmark blade.  Before you pull it off, spritz it with a blast of your diesel/bar oil to keep it from rusting over time.  Get you some 4 degree blades and don't look back.
LT40HDSD35-RA
Cooks AE344P
Clark CFY-70
Caterpillar 420E IT

Offline Deere80

• I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 11:06:43 am »
Well with the help from you guys giving suggestions and talking on the phone with Cutting Edge I got it figured out why I was getting the washboard look on the wood.  I readjusted the Cooks rollers that didn't change anything, I added more tension that didn't do anything, I added even more tension that didn't help, loosened it up under what is recommended that didn't do it.  Then  both Cutting Edge and Goose63 mentioned to me if I had changed out the rubber bushing under a steel washer where you tighten the blade up with the T-handle. I never knew it was even there and Goose has the same mill which Woodland sent him some dished/spring washers that replace the rubber.  Called Woodland up they sent them free of charge installed them put on a 4 degree Kasco blade and bye bye to the washboard look.  I bought a box of 7 degree from Cutting Edge which he told me to buy 4 degree because that would fit my HP of my saw better but I didn't listen to him which I should have because he was right the 4 degree cut much better than the 7s for my saw.  So I just sharpened my 7s to 4s and they work great.  If you need any blades I would recommend buying them from Cutting Edge he was a big help for me trying to figure this out and he is very knowledgeable all around.

This is the rubber bushing.

Cuts after fixing the problem

Slab from same  log before fixing the rubber washer.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 12:23:57 pm »

From Cutting edge  (The 7 deg. blade has a taller tooth/deeper gullet, which in turn, takes away from the beam strength of the blade.) There is a lot of truth in that statement, I find blades with a shallower gullet cut straighter, even adjusted my sharpener to make a shallower gullet.  I tried some Kasco blades with a deeper gullet than my Simonds and they didn't  cut very good at first but after a few sharpening's when the gullet matched my Simonds blades they cut way better. More beam and less tooth height trying to twist on the blade.  A mill south of me had exactly the same results.   Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 12:50:47 pm »
Hay Seth glade to hear you got it cutting good I'm going up to Hazen Friday will stop in to see ya bought noon 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline btulloh

• Still a new member, but less new than I was
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 01:54:46 pm »
Glad you got if fixed.  Seeing the before pic, it was clear I was having the same problem as you.  Woodland Mills is sending me the updated washer as a free replacement.

I had replaced the urethane washer once already - about three months after I got this mill.  The original washer started "oozing" out around the bearing surface of the adjustment mechanism.  It looks like this will solve the problem once and for all.  Keep us updated if you have further developments or see signs of recurrence.
BT
Farmalls, HM126, 8N, woodworking, and lot's of other bad habits.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Go saw it
    • Website Link
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 07:31:57 pm »
Personally I like deep gullets.  The shallow gullet blades cut too slow and I have worse results with them.  Run a wider, thicker blade if you're worried about beam strength.  IMO
LT40HDSD35-RA
Cooks AE344P
Clark CFY-70
Caterpillar 420E IT

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 08:29:11 pm »

My mill cuts faster and straighter with shallow gullets as I can push it harder while still cutting straight.  Steve

Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Go saw it
    • Website Link
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 09:54:27 pm »
I doubt it
LT40HDSD35-RA
Cooks AE344P
Clark CFY-70
Caterpillar 420E IT

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 05:14:24 am »

After sawing over 2 million bf and trying out lots of different brands I find Simonds which have lower gullet dept. than most saw the straightest in tough wood like white oak, white ash and spruce' Sawing easy wood like white pine, red oak  or popular they all saw good.  Steve

Offline xlogger

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 05:32:30 am »
I doubt it
Well I don't know about you but Steve has cut 10 times more wood than me and he has given me some good advice over the years.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Go saw it
    • Website Link
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 07:06:45 am »
Maybe if you put a deep gullet blade on it wouldn't take 11,000hrs to saw 2mmbf :D :D

edit 12,000hrs
LT40HDSD35-RA
Cooks AE344P
Clark CFY-70
Caterpillar 420E IT

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 07:23:03 am »

As mentioned I've tried deep gullet blades and don't saw as straight as shallow gullet blades. Why do you think that deep gullet blades saw faster but not as straight.   Steve

Offline Deere80

• I'm new!
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 07:45:45 am »
Goose I might take vacation Friday so I might be home, it depends on what the weather is going to be out. 

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Go saw it
    • Website Link
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 09:45:13 am »
Because deep gullet blades have more gullet capacity.  With the shallow gullet blades, you can't push them as fast without getting waves because the blade will spill sawdust and get the blade all cattywampus.  If you haven't you should try WM turbo 1-1/2 .055" thick blades (on 1-1/2" guide rollers).  To me it's night and day difference (in hardwood) compared to say a ripper 37 or a kasco 7 or reg wm 7, etc.  If your mill is properly aligned and the blade body is flat you should have excellent results.  Also have to get a wm blade with a good weld joint.  Alot of times they are less than perfect
LT40HDSD35-RA
Cooks AE344P
Clark CFY-70
Caterpillar 420E IT

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 10:22:17 am »

Explain why me or you can saw easy to saw wood at high feed rates and then saw tough wood at much lower feed rates which puts out way less sawdust and then blame it on the gullets being too full of sawdust, the gullet too full theory makes no sense at all, my really shallow gullet 3/4 pitch Simonds  saw hard too cut and easy too cut wood the straightest  by far  at high feed rates . As mentioned more beam and less tooth puts less twisting force on the blade. I'm not switching to a high priced 1 1/2 blade that break too soon when I can make my diesel smoke and still cut straight with my Simonds 1 1/4 blade.  The thicker blades would just cut slower as the kerf is wider.  If I had a 45 hp diesel I might give them a try.  A 3/4 pitch Simonds blade cuts wide spruce better than any deep gullet blade.  Steve

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 10:54:29 am »
ladylake - what tooth angle do you prefer on your Simmonds 3/4 pitch blades?  I have a lot of trouble with standing dead red pine and wavy cuts and after trying many things your experience with these blades may have me wanting to try them.  Where do you order them from?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 11:21:14 am »

I buy them at 10 as that's all they sell then sharpen to 4 , the 10 cut good but the 4 are a little better.  With dead pine make sure your blades aren't gumming up.   Will send you a PM.  Steve

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 11:54:11 am »
Yep, no gumming here I can promise you that!  I've tried every trick in the book except for different tooth spacing.  It's the only thing I haven't tried and it's why I'm a little interested in it.  I've heard spruce is tough to cut straight and if you can, then I can!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools