iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Testing the panel's patience for newbie questions, warning!

Started by ButchC, March 22, 2017, 10:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ButchC

I have had a pile of EAB killed Ash logs cut and stacked for several years. Got my saw mill bought over the winter and sawed up all my immediate needs plus 50% and have it stacked and drying. Still have many logs and I need to get them sawed up as decay is setting in. But my cutting list is completed. :-\

Soo, how do I cut the remaining logs?  Obviously larger boards can be ripped  and planed much easier than stretching or thickening boards that were cut  too narrow or thin.
Specifically, how would guys you cut up  20-30" Ash logs that you had no cut list or specific use for??  Might end up being for sale, might not?? Who knows?? but needs to be cut.
Thanks!
Butch
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

terrifictimbersllc

Could post on craigslist or elsewhere offering to cut to customer's  specifications.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

scully

I bleed orange  .

OffGrid973

Large enough that you can easily resaw without it bouncing around on you, and secondly just large enough that your circular saw can trim down to size for clean sealed ends.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

fishfighter

If it were me and I had a place to stack things out the weather, I would cut each log into the biggest cant and stack them. From there, you can always come back and custom cut what you need or to sell.

Darrel

Big cant and don't worry too much if it has a bit of wain on the edges.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

killamplanes

I agree big cants, just square up the log to no specific demension and put it under a roof. The problem with this is handling cants this size.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

GDinMaine

Powderpost beetles love stacks of hardwood. Be it firewood or lumber. Hopefully someone will remember the mixture of water, borax and (something else that I'm forgetting) you can spray the wood with. It supposed to keep the bugs out of the wood.

edit: here is the link to a previous discussion on this
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,94549.0.html
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Thank You Sponsors!