iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead/Dying Black Walnut?

Started by Mtez44, March 20, 2017, 10:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtez44

Hi Everyone

First time poster here needing ID help. I am completely green in this field(pun intended) and wanted some input from the pros.

Admittedly, I know close to zero about identifying tree species, however I am happy to dive into hours of research. The only problem with that is I feel left unsatisfied sometimes in my findings. Nothing quite like asking a question and getting an answer or multiple answers for that matter.

Long story short, I am felling a tree on my property that appears to be dead or atleast dying. It has showed no signs of life in the two years I have owned the property. I am trying to remember if it has ever had leaves on it but I'm pretty sure it never has. Some of the top limbs are completely bare and void of bark. The bark that does remain looks weathered.

In have cut the lowest limb and was suprised to see a darker colored heartwood. Similar to what I know about black walnut.

I have no leaves to go off of and the bark I feel is not intact or atleast a little deteriorated(compared to pics of black walnut online). I live in Northern NJ, and have oaks and hickories on my property as well.

Do I have a black walnut? If so do you think there will be solid logs to have?

Mtez44

Ok hold that thought until I figure out how to post pics :)

I thought I included them but looks like they never attached

Mtez44

I seem to be having trouble

Maybe someone could just go look at my album since clearly I am struggling with this

Ianab

You got the picture in your gallery.

Now when you go and look at it, just below the image is some code.
[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/45411/image.jpeg?easyrotate_cache=1490066062[/img]

Copy and Paste that code into your post, and the picture will magically appear.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

TKehl

Looks like an Oak to me.  A picture of the whole tree and branch cut would help.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WDH

I agree that it looks like an oak.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TKehl

Oak.  Probably a type of Red Oak.  Others here could probably comment on species. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WDH

Actually, it is a white oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

low_48

For your first lesson, look at the radial silver lines in the cross cut end. They are called medullary rays and when predominant like that, you have oak.

Mtez44

Medullary rays, check!

Predominant in oaks but not exclusive to?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I got so excited when I saw that darker color heartwood. Obviously I have a lot of learning to do

WDH

All trees have medullary rays.  In some species they are visible to the naked eye when you view the end grain.  In others, they are too small to see without magnification.  In four types of trees, the rays are very large and prominent to the naked eye.  These are the red oaks, the white oaks, beech (oak is in the beech family), and sycamore.

When quartersawn, the rays are split and give the characteristic "ray fleck" figure. 

TKehl

WDH, thanks for the correction.  Still learning here.   :)  Slowly moving from firewood mentality (Oak is Oak.  Mmmm.. warm.) to lumber mentality (there are different types of Oak with variations).   ;D

running elk

The bark looks like a post oak but the cross cut looks just like a red oak. But i'm certain its not a walnut for sure. my guess is that it is in the red oak family probably a Nuttall Oak, which looks a lot like a red oak.

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!