iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ether capsules and some other stuff 😂

Started by BargeMonkey, March 20, 2017, 09:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

I know the other day in a post I said something about ether capsules, we'll here's some pictures. My father hunted a long time to find that can, and that's liquid ether next to it like you would pour in a primer pump on some of the older machines that where set up for it, powerful stuff. 

I don't know how many of you have ever seen a "dynamite wedge", it was used for splitting the over sized logs to get them on the mill carriage. This one works, we have tried it. 😂  you drive it in, pour your powder in thru the hole, add you piece of cord, light and RUN. It works. 👍 we popped a grizzly old hard maple log in half with it one day. My father hunted a long time to find that, they came in alot of varietys depending on where you where in the country. 

That's a picture looking into my parents timber frame, every stick of wood in that house with the exception of the beams and the plywood decking came off our sawmill, cherry countertops, spalted maple cabinets, tamarack and hemlock walls, oak floor, it came out real nice and we processed it from the stump to finished product. 40 sets of horn off the farm in that chandelier.

If any of you guys are ever out this way stop in. That store will be loaded with antique farm tools and a couple 2 man saws on the wall, my father and I have been collecting stuff for yrs and hopefully be open this june, the amish are finishing up the tin and windows this week.

Oliver05262

I remember the ether capsules. The black powder wedges I remember around here had a ring near the outside end where you could shackle a heavy piece of chain to slow it down enough to be able to find it after the blow.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

barbender

Wow! Cool pictures and beautiful house!! So, how did one use the ether capsules?
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

The capsules go in little chambers in the intake. I've only seen one engine set up to use them, a CAT D311 genset.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

deerguy

Dave,
My old John Deere 2120 farm tractor has the tube with threaded cap right on the console above the engine shut-off pull rod. The cap has a sharp pin inside it, so that when it's tightened it pierces the capsule releasing the ether. Even living in Northern Ontario I don't think we ever used it. Popular opinion was that it released way too much ether at one time.

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

loggah

I had a HD7 Allis chalmers dozer that took the ether capsules,never used them tho ,and i have a couple of the smaller black powder wedges in my mini-museum also. All good stuff !! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!