iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first vintage iron!

Started by purple otter, March 20, 2017, 09:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purple otter

Sorry for not posting in awhile,life has been busy,but I needed to post this because I know some of you guys have an appreciation for old iron. This past weekend I found this nice old jointer. It is a 16" J.A. Fay &Egan. It was advertised as a12" machine but when I got it loaded I realized it was a 16"er! Bonus! It is very complete for its age,1923. I plan on a complete restoration. It has a 3 knife round safety cutter head with ball bearings,and both original guards. I look forward to any advice or comments from you guys, thanks.
                                                                                                               Steve

Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

Don_Papenburg

I would set that thing upright first. then try it out .  Looks to be a good find.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on March 20, 2017, 10:06:10 PM
I would set that thing upright first. then try it out .  Looks to be a good find.
Ya just beat me to it.  I was going to say that milling on the ceiling is gonna be tough!  :D Nice find.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

purple otter

Are the pictures upside down?
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

OntarioAl

Yes
I bet you took them with your cell phone  ;D
Otherwise its a nice find
Al
Al Raman

Andries

A beauty!
Complete with all the parts!

. . . and stickers from its former home.  :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

woodworker9

Nice machine.  You'll love it when you get it up and running.  I have a friend who has the same machine.

You might be able to find out more information about the machine at vintagemachinery.org.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Ljohnsaw

Right side up it looks even better! :D

Wow, what a brute - and what a find.  smiley_beertoast
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

purple otter

woodworker9, I did my research on vintagemachinery.com before I bought this, and there is the same machine on there , same color from the same institution just 2 numbers older on the serial numbers . It's a great resource. I have lots to learn.

purple otter

I haven't updated this post since completing the restoration a few weeks ago ,and I know you guys like pictures ,so here it is. It runs and cuts great.

Now to just put it to work.

Savannahdan

Wow, looks like you have a brand new jointer. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Dan_Shade

Nice find

What did you do to shine up the faces of the table?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

btulloh

Nice restoration.  Looks great!  I bet it works well.  That's a big hunk of iron.  I'm envious.
HM126

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Savannahdan on July 17, 2017, 07:15:31 AM
Wow, looks like you have a brand new jointer.

I disagree, I think it looks better than a new Jointer!

purple otter

Dan ,the tables were cleaned with WD-40 and a maroon scotch brite pad and lots of elbow grease. Then a coat of paste wax.

Bruno of NH

That's better than any new one you could buy
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

rasman57

Saving the vintage iron and putting it back to work is admirable in and of itself but when you take the time to do a first class restoration like that right there, you earned the right to be twice as proud!     Nothing better than bringing an old USA made piece back to original glory and putting it to work again.  Those are QUALITY machines.  You did a really nice job that will be enjoyed for more generations.     Plus you can hide under it when the apocalypse hits👍

bluthum

hackberry jake

Vintage iron is sure addicting. They just work harder and run smoother than anything you can find in today's market. Very nice find and restore!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

petefrom bearswamp

Excellent job of restoration congrats.
At my age i am jealous of your find, but only a little.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

That is mighty fine, and your pride is completely justified.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

123maxbars

nice job, need one of those,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

woodmaker

Excellent looking restoration,congradulations
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

What is the motor you're using?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!