iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberframe Deck/Porch

Started by mitchstockdale, March 22, 2017, 08:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchstockdale

Hi everybody,

New member here.  I am building a house this spring (typical stick build) but the plan is to build the front and rear deck/porches in timberframe.

If you can picture 6x6 posts/columns set approximately 8' out from the house  with a continuous beam maybe (6x8) then 2x10 rafters extending from the edge of the upper roof (10/12 pitch) out to the beam which will create a different pitch (7/12 ish) over the deck.

Have any of you ever done this sort of thing???... I have looked through a number of the pages but nothing really popped out at me was wondering if you folks could share any of your experiences that you may have in doing this sort of thing.

Here are a couple of screen grabs of the front elevation of the house to give you an idea. Dimensions are 29' x 46'

Do today what others wont, so you can do tomorrow what others cant.

Kubota MX5200 / Norse 366 / Stihl MS361

Don P

I like to make the post assemblies as individual components for porches by incorporating a bolster on top, sort of like mill construction. There is then plenty of room to attach the beam. The roof diaphragm actually braces the porch so braces are kind of redundant/ aesthetic. For a smaller porch I've used just the bolster with a long tennon through it that runs up through the ends of the beams this is mixed oak from the jobsite in 6x6 and 6x8

This was for a bigger porch and looked better in 8x8s with braces again mixed oak from jobsite clearing. Both were dipped in a borate solution prior to finishing.

I run a steel knife plate that is buried and connected to the floor framing up into the post bottom and run a couple of wood capped steel dowels crossways through the post and plate to secure the bottoms in uplift.

mitchstockdale

Hey DonP,

Thanks for the response this cant be a very common thing your the only response haha jk!

Your description of how you have done it was pretty much what i had thought... nice to have the confirmation!

Do you think this sort of thing is something that needs an engineers stamp or approval since it is not inside the living space?  Probably more of a question for my local inspector i guess!

Mitch
Do today what others wont, so you can do tomorrow what others cant.

Kubota MX5200 / Norse 366 / Stihl MS361

PC-Urban-Sawyer

You KNOW that if you ask the answer will be YES, OF COURSE YOU NEED AN ENGINEER STAMP...

Good luck!

Herb

timberwrestler

That's definitely feasible.  And it's pretty close to normal building practices, so you should be able to avoid an engineer.  The plate size is really the only variable.  We do that sort of thing all the time.  This example is the opposite of what you're doing--we have conventional posts and a built-up beam, with (cherry) timber rafters over. 

The ledger at the wall is the key.  You can do it without a ledger, but it makes things a lot easier structurally.  In that picture, the ledger allows the siding to tuck up underneath.

Dave Shephard has a nice timber porch that he has pics of on here.  He sawed those cherry rafters too.
www.uncarvedblockinc.com
www.facebook.com/uncarvedblockinc

Thank You Sponsors!