iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

poor man's engine/parts cleaner

Started by sandersen, March 20, 2017, 12:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandersen

Just thought I'd share a really neat method of cleaning parts or even running engines that is simple safe and very effective.  I'll bet some of you know already, but just in case I thought it's be worth mentioning.  I got the tip from a buddy of mine and I'm sold on it.  I bought a HF engine blow gun and tubing for about 15 bucks.  I bought two gallons of mineral spirits (about 25 bucks) and hooked it to my little 5 gal compressor.  Poke a hole in the top to get good suction and bingo. It's great since mineral spirits are entirely safe (according to my research) with no harmful fumes.  It can be sprayed with short bursts in the shop because it all dissipates rather quickly.  It leaves no stains on the floor, and the spirits last because the air blasts are mostly air.  And man is it effective.

I pulled the TJ transfer case this weekend.  Both brake assemblies were destroyed and the transfer case was covered in a thick layer of grease lube grime and brake fluid.  After scraping the thickest gunk off by hand, I set up my little blow gun system and man it came out immaculate.  All the nooks and crannies cleaned right out.  Afterwards, I just blew clean air to dry it all off.  I've included a picture of it and few other miscellaneous shots.  I set up an old utility sink as a parts washer and use the blow gun on larger parts that I set inside (brake assemblies). There's a bucket underneath which I have to empty by hand...but I haven't let it overflow yet. Partly because so little spirits are used in the process.  I can't imagine a better system for cleaning a running engine...and most important?  No water! No water being forced into places where it shouldn't go.       

"Make every step count."

47sawdust

Good idea.I bought a blow gun like that last fall and used it to spray a combo of diesel fuel and used motor oil on equipment that sits out.As you say a little bit can go a long way.
I did buy a 60 gallon compressor but I've been needing a bigger compressor for a long time.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ox

Nice job and good tips!  Your machinery looks good.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

bushmechanic

That's what I use also for cleaning parts only I use gasoline outside. Two years ago I bought a parts wash and the proper cleaners but I haven't got it hooked up yet and am still using the old syphon gun. Great looking job on the rebuild! Ahhh yellow paint on the gearboxes, I think it should have been equipment orange! That Detroit looks some sexy lol.

sandersen

Quote from: bushmechanic on March 20, 2017, 06:27:19 PM
That's what I use also for cleaning parts only I use gasoline outside. Two years ago I bought a parts wash and the proper cleaners but I haven't got it hooked up yet and am still using the old syphon gun. Great looking job on the rebuild! Ahhh yellow paint on the gearboxes, I think it should have been equipment orange! That Detroit looks some sexy lol.

Bushmechanic....I debated long and hard over original orange or the new green and black w yellow that Deere uses.  The newer combination just looks so sharp that I' going with that.  As a die hard TJ guy it wasn't an easy decision.  Feel like I betrayed the Timberland Ellicot boys!
"Make every step count."

Cutting Edge

Two years ago I bought a parts wash and the proper cleaners but I haven't got it hooked up yet and am still using the old syphon gun.

I've been using K-1 Kerosene in my parts washer and have had very good luck.  No problems with the pump (5+ years) and gravity pulls any/all particulate to the bottom overnight.  I will admit that the smell can get annoying.  It seemed to be the best alternative since Varsol increased in price so much.  Plus the disposal issues too.

I agree on the Mineral Spirits 100%.  After the initial cleaning to strip the worst and followed with Dawn to remove most oily residue, the Mineral Spirits help tremendously in getting a surface ready for paint.  Especially the little nooks.  I do wear a respirator when using with a blowgun though because of the atomozation.

That Detroit looks some sexy lol.

Yes, it sure does !!!   smiley_thumbsup

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

BargeMonkey

That is a neat set up. 👍 and that Detroit looks good.  I worked on the boat in Canada yrs ago and at a couple docks up there they would give you a pail of straight TOULENE which is another great "ENE" that I've exposed myself too. 😂 we used to clean engine parts and nuts+bolts in it, we where pushing an asphalt barge. Literally eats asphalt, some scary stuff.

sawguy21

You SPRAY gasoline ??? :o Wow, I would be looking for something less flammable even outside. I never thought of using a nozzle as a siphon gun, going to have to make one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tantoy

The 353 and Warner T98-L2 look AWESOME!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

sandersen

THANKS!  It's exciting although I'm a ways away from the point your Garrett is at.  I'm still amazed at how fast you restored that baby.
"Make every step count."

ScottAR

These kinda guns are manufactured in varying price points. I know milton makes one and all the off shore companies offer em if you don't mind chineesium.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Ox

Chineesium - made me laugh - best way ever to describe some Chinese things.  :D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!