iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ring Chains not staying straight.

Started by mf40diesel, March 20, 2017, 06:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf40diesel

Just recently tightened all my chains. Single diamond ice on the rear, rings on the front. Since then, the ice chains are staying perfectly straight, and one of the rings is pretty straight, the other one however is wicked crooked now.

I have checked that the link counts are even on both sides of the one bad chain, and they are.   Is it possible that I have them too tight?
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

jdeere540a

Sounds like they just need more tightening. Do u lift the tire off the ground when u tighten them. I find that works best and it takes a few times to get them real tight.

coxy

did you count all the links around the chain inside and out some have more or less on one side or the other and some are even  jmop but you would be better off if the rings fell off anyway  :D 8)

central pa

We went to Dimond chains on all fours on are 450tj and the bell feller  don't think we'll ever go back to rings

mf40diesel

I guess I will have to count them again.  We did lift the front end up, and they are humming tight now, tight enough that they are digging in the tire in places. 

I will have to cut them.  My buddy at home, thought that maybe we got the centers too tight in relation to the side chains.  Mud season job.  They walked way over, but haven't gotten any worse.  I'll have to take them apart, straighten them and add a couple of shackles I believe.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

GAB

Not knowing anything about the chains the question I have is: is it possible that they are stretched more on one side than the other and causing the problem you are encountering?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

coxy

I have never had any trouble over tighting the centers never even new it was possible I think its all in the side chain not being hooked even  let us know what you find out  :)

mf40diesel

Thanks for the advice.  I am currently at work, offshore and will be here for a couple more weeks.  With that said,  by the time I get home I anticipate mud season will be in full effect.

I'll make some adjustments and report back...  In hearing what you guys are saying, maybe one of the side chains is too tight.. I'll try that too.

Thanks

coxy

if one is to tight just tighten the other one  ;) :)

Thank You Sponsors!