iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gave chain Turner a overhaul

Started by redbeard, March 20, 2017, 12:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

My B-30 aka (TK B-20) 11 years of heavy logs finally was about to fail.

The tube has worn through and has a twist in it.
Time to reinforce and straighten

Cut out the worn area that chain wore through and added some 3/4"  plate

After getting original tube straight we added 3/8" x 4" plate to sides and new sprocket shafts and grease bushings. And Now we have a industrial chain Turner once again

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

I had to do the same thing a few years back, looks good.. After breaking the original no 60 chain too many times, I bought 10' of 60H chain for around $30 then welded U shaped pieces of metal every 5th link.  The 60h runs for years without any troubles plus I got 2 chains out of that 10'.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Clover

Nice job on that turner. I've got a claw turner that I've built but there are times when I'm working alone and need that third hand hold the log. I'm starting to collect parts for a chain turner and your pictures have helped a lot.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

ladylake

Chain turners work great and should be easy to build..  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

killamplanes

Feel free to give me ur shipping address, I will you send u mine. (Lol). I'm due for second rebuild. Good job..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

killamplanes

The drive sprocket end is like putting a puzzle together. I never like puzzles >:(
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Kbeitz

Quote from: ladylake on March 20, 2017, 11:00:29 AM

The curve part of a can't hook on the end of a cable works real good
for that.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coppolajc10

Clover

I think we need to start a chain turner subject. One with pictures of turners, from being built to installed, with everything in between
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

FloridaMike

Great rebuild!  Pics are a great resource!  Good idea on the chain turner page Clover. 

I'm in the early stages of designing and building my two.  I am thinking of running a common 1.5" shaft to turn the bottom sprockets and serve as the pivot point for both chain turners, driven by one high torque hyd. motor (direct driven from one of the ends of the common 8' shaft).  There would be independent hyd. cylinders to raise and lower each arm separately.  I plan to run #80 chain with #80 SK-1 Attachment Connecting Links installed every 5 to 6 links, with welded solid stock bridging the uprights.

Is there any reason the above setup wouldn't work well?  Maybe someone is already building a similar set up.   
Mike

Clover

Floridamike #80 chain is pretty heavy duty stuff. What about 60 or 60H? Am I understanding your post that the turners would be 8' apart? What would the requirement for that be?
I have a claw turner that can lift a house but sometimes I need an extra hand beside it to turn or hold the log for final positioning. Two turners close together could do the same thing as what I'm looking for. Although both chain would need to be independent of each other.

FloridaMike

I'm thinking two turner arms would be better for longer logs.  At 8' apart, any point on a 24' log would be within 8' of a turner.  The arms would move up or down independently of each other, so one or both could be used as an additional holder/clamp.  Only the rotation of the chain's would be siamesed together. 
Mike

Kbeitz

What about Agg chain for hay elevators ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ladylake

60h lasts way better than 60.  If building one I'd go with the 80 but 60h would work.  Steve

Ga Mtn Man

Nice job on the rebuild redbeard.  Looks good as new.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

ladylake

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 20, 2017, 05:41:52 PM
Quote from: ladylake on March 20, 2017, 11:00:29 AM

The curve part of a can't hook on the end of a cable works real good
for that.

After being spoiled be a chain turner, no way.  Steve

JB Griffin

If I was building one I would use 100 or 120 with lugs welded to every 3rd or 5th link.  And I might just do that to replace the joke that woodmizer calls a turner along with the hyd. feed upgrade and 6-10 gpm pump and pony motor, vertical backstops and on and on.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Kbeitz

You don't need to be welding lugs on your chain.
There is many different kind of lugs that can be bought
that hook right on the chain.  Sample....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Clover

Kbeitz with that link you would have to use a chain breaker and break the chain every 4 or 5 links and add that in. You can buy the whole chain already made up with those links. But if you went with an 80 or bigger link you could weld right to it and probably a lot cheaper. I was thinking of welding schedule 80 pipe cut about 3/4" thick and cut again into a C shape.

FloridaMike

Cost is the biggest factor in going above #80 chain size.  You can rebuild a #80 turner 4 or 5 times over for the cost of the #100/120 components.  I do think you can weld lugs directly to #80 or larger chain side plates, but I'm guessing solid square lugs will work better than half round pipe lugs.

For my low volume mill, I am going to roll the dice with a #80 chain/sprocket size.
Mike

kensfarm

It's interesting to see the original log turner..  TK has redesigned the turner arm to a curved design to better cradle the log.  That fix looks like it will last a long time.. nice work.  I use a small block of wood w/ the raised chain section to use as a 2nd clamp.. and the whole arm to hold big logs.

ladylake

Even 60 h holds up real good on those big snarly logs, 80 should work great.   I made some U shaped pieces out of 1/8  x 1" metal  bent in a press then welded to every 5th link, never had on fail yet and they turn the log good. The links like Kbeitz posted might last a day before they fold over.  Steve

sandsawmill14

Quote from: ladylake on March 21, 2017, 06:01:46 AM

60h lasts way better than 60.  If building one I'd go with the 80 but 60h would work.  Steve

x2  i would break 60 at least once a week the 60h changed it to once or twice a month but if i was building one from scratch i would use the 80 or maybe 80h the bigger the better :)

redbeard good job on the rebuild  smiley_thumbsup one thing you can do to help with wear on the tube is bolt a piece of of 1 1/2" channel to the top of the turner bar as a wear guide and it also helps with the chain pushing off the side of the bar when it hit a odd shaped knot or oversized logs :)
i have to change the wear plate about every 2 months when sawing steady but it saves the bar from ever wearing at all also attach with 2 ch grade 12   1/4" round head screws and its only about 15 min job to replace where if its welded its a pain to replace  i will try to get a pic thought i had one in my gallery but did see it this morning :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Clover

Quote from: kensfarm on March 22, 2017, 12:29:58 AM
It's interesting to see the original log turner..  TK has redesigned the turner arm to a curved design to better cradle the log.

Anyone have a picture of TK's curved design?

Kbeitz

So why no got with agg chain ?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!